shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a Pear shaped Diamond Ring - does it catch?

babooshka

Rough_Rock
Hi

I am upgrading my Engagement ring and have seen an amazing 1.7 pear with pear sidestones, which I love but I have heard that Pear shaped rings catch a lot more than others might, what does anyone think who has one here?

Thanks

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pear (1.08 carat) and I dont know what all the hype is about them catching. Mine never catches on anything
and it is set very high by most people's standards. Now that I think about it, it may be the way my setting is built. Its not a standard
peg head that might be used for a lot of pears. The v-prong that goes on the point comes from a less curved angle
then a regular peg head. I think this may be what keeps it from catching. My setting is somewhat vintage. See picture.

I know we had a PSer that had a really large pear and she re-did her setting to something that would not catch so I'm
thinking that the setting may be the key to solving the problem.

IMG_7667.JPG

babooshka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I'm having it made so I can mention this to the Jeweller, thats very helpful!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I had a 1.25ct pear and it never caught either. It was in a similar basket to the one posted above (set a bit lower). My original .15ct marquise diamond caught more, and it was the peg head I think that did it.

babooshka

Rough_Rock
can someone clarify for me ( or show me a link/pic) what a peg-head is?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

babooshka

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help everyone!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have not had any problems with my setting for my pear.

2011-05-09_11-12-02_557.jpg

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 3.78 Marquis, it is fairly wide and ovalish (at least to me it is) but still has points on the ends--anyway, I almost didn't buy it because things that catch and snag drive me nutso! But guess what? It has never once snagged and I wear lots of snag prone sweaters and clothing. :) my ring is low set, so maybe the height of the setting might make it tend to snag more?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results