shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Have a Jewelry Budget?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
After hugely de-cluttering my jewelry box a while back and noticing in living color:

(1) How much more jewelry I had than I usually ever wore (since I don't usually see reason to wear the non-favorite pieces when the favorite pieces are right there).

(2) What I paid for the pieces vs. what I got for them (though granted, my prices were pretty low because I didn't want to mess around with it for months).

(3) How my tastes change over time, causing me to feel like my jewelry was a little more like clothes or other "temporary" items than I had realized.

I decided it had all gotten out a lil of hand lol. So now I'm on a jewelry budget. I talked to my partner and considered our other goals and arrived at $200 a month. I am very proud of myself for such extreme and unusual sacrifice, though The Man rolled his eyes (RUDE!)

I feel like I already have the "star" of my collection, my BAD ("Big Ass Diamond," for those who are classier than I). For some reason, in my mind, this means I can do with lesser purchases on the rest, which to me translates to pieces that cost hundreds but not thousands, for the most part.

What do you think of jewelry budgets?

Last edited:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
No. I just buy as I can (and want to). Some money freed up for me since corona killed my vacation plans and we decided we don’t like our area enough to stay long term/ pump money into home improvement projects.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a budget but I have it sort of internalized. I don't know what I will be spending until I see something I love because at this stage there is nothing I want or need or on my bling list. Sorry if that makes me a bad PSer :cheeky:.

Rather if I see a piece and I am swooning over it and see myself wearing and enjoying it and the price is fair I will (probably) go for it. But I am pretty responsible financially speaking (and in many other ways just saying) so I wouldn't buy something that would be a hardship for us financially. So I don't need a budget.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually do.. My husband gifts me with mad money every Christmas and birthday. He always bought me jewelry but I didn’t like what he bought. Over the years I gradually got him to just give me the amount and I would buy my own. It’s more fun that way. He also says he doesn’t stress over what I would like. He writes the number on a piece of paper and wraps it up..lol
I’m not going to be buying much more even with the gifts on the holidays. I MAY upgrade my ACA....so I would use the money to
do that. I have enough trouble wearing what I have now..

I don’t really have a fixed budget, I have a bling fund (that comes out of my disposable income) that I use to buy 1-2 pieces off my wishlist every year. I have some pieces on my list that will require multi year saving, but I know I will wear them, because I am as extra as they come and have zero shame. I’m happy to amass a formidable collection as long as I know I’ll wear each piece at least occasionally (I tend to get bored of wearing the same thing every day so I like to mix it up).

Q

Queenie60

I use the money I make from my part-time job. It's pretty substantial and my husband doesn't mind. I've been on a buying frenzie lately. I have a delicious pair of earrings being made by Yekutiel. I will then stop for a while.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and my budget is no.
I can't justify the expense at this time, so I live vicariously through PS.
It's working pretty well to scratch that itch. Mostly.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny thing. I don’t have a set budget. But when I go back to add up my purchases, every year I seem to spend the same amount! Without even planning to do so! I think it’s bc I strategize in a sense. Hubby’s gifts to me and then I sell off pieces to fund new ones—so I guess that’s how I end up with the same amount year after year.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy something when I sell something. Sometimes I will buy with the intent to keep but decide to part with it, other times I will buy a piece to resell and use the profits to buy something new.

Haven't had a lot of luck selling lately and still loving my latest piece so no plans to buy anything new right now.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have a budget but my little side gig usually goes straight to sparkle fund. I only buy pieces that are keepers so if not covered by my sparkle fund DH and I have a conversation. He knows by the time we get to that point I am serious about a purchase and we make it happen. I will sometimes send him pics of things I might like but I don't consider them essential and that gives him ideas or an opportunity if he wants to surprise me. I have gone several years without a major purchase but this is the first 12 month period that I've added as many as 3-4 major pieces. I'm working like crazy right now to finish paying for my birthday sparkly. It's a big purchase that well exceeds my usual sparkle fund. I could have that talk with DH but for some reason I really want to buy it myself.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't think about them at all.

cheers--Sharon

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I can’t really think of anything else I want - at the moment.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
No, never have. My earning potential has always been spotty, especially now. I buy very little but look and dream a lot here.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No set budget, but I only spend from my truly disposible income (ie: after bills and investments are covered). I also sometimes sell things I don't wear to help fund other purchases.

I normally try not to buy 'small' items (because I often don't end up wearing them and they add up), but it does happen sometimes.

I do tend to think long and hard about my bigger purchases, and do a lot of research. I rarely regret them.

When I was young, I was very frugal with my money and it took some years to learn to spend and enjoy it. Now I am totally comfortable with it!

Anne

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
No specific budget but we are older and I don't want much more bling. If I was younger then I would probably have a specific budget or a list of 'wants'.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results