shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a famous relative?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My paternal great grandmothers 1st cousin was Field Marshall Erwin Rommel. George Washington’s grandfather was also a grandfather of my husband. He is also a direct descendant of President Andrew Jackson.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If so I'd never know it.
Both my parents were orphaned during the Great Depression.
They met and grew up together in the orphanage.

No family records survived.

Illinifire

Rough_Rock
If so I'd never know it.
Both my parents were orphaned during the Great Depression.
They met and grew up together in the orphanage.

No family records survived.
Kenny

That’s a fascinating family history. Do you have any interest in doing your DNA, or are you happy with the wonder of it all?

Cheers
Jen

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
My paternal grandfather was Mayor Emeritus of his city. As a very little girl I held up a sign with his name on it, in a motorcade. Darn, I was adorable. He maxed out the term limits and then retired to great fanfare. At one point his birthday cake was the subject of a Guinness book world record event.

He did some good things, like helping create a naval port, tightening laws on drink driving, and gaining financial support for the creation of an aquarium. He made the office an equal-opportunity phenomenon, finally. Most people in his community were tolerant people, who appreciated that he worked for them, not the other way around. There’s a school named after him.

He was a decent human. I loved him, and inherited some traits from him (overwhelming urge to cry during goodbyes, thin lips, and an attitude of service rather than need for power). I chose my university based upon his being an alumnus. And when I hug people, I say the same thing he used to say to me: “let me give you some sugar” And “love you, mean it” (some coworkers are surprised, but so far no complaints).

:)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny

That’s a fascinating family history. Do you have any interest in doing your DNA, or are you happy with the wonder of it all?

Cheers
Jen

Thanks but no.

My family was highly toxic, best forgotten ... there's no wonder or happiness.

Both my brothers ended up drug addicts, the oldest was murdered in prison.
Dad was a drunk who beat mom and all 4 kids; he molested my 16 yr old sister.
Pregnant by dad, she ran away and put the baby up for adoption.

For the rest of us I wish it was only physical abuse because his verbal, emotional, and psychological abuse was worse.
Nice family, huh.

So, I have no interest in it whatsoever in my biofamily, past, present or future.
Happily today I have a chosen family of good people.

The best thing I ever did was move on, not look back.
At 19 I joined the service, got some education, a good trade.
Later I spent years working with a great psychoanalysts.

Also IMO that whole DNA thing is creepy, and a privacy bomb waiting to explode.
We've seen that not even banks, credit bureaus or the government can keep data secure.

I expect handing over our DNA will backfire on us.
That data is a goldmine to some.
Insurance companies could use it to deny insurance to high risk people and employers could use it to filter out recruits as understanding of the human genetic code matures.
No thanks.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer here.
I'd prefer if nobody responds to this post.
Please, just carry on with the thread.

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Moving right along, I’m wondering now about the categories of fame. I don’t have any relative who is internet famous, but there were some persons of note.

Does fame for contemporary internet notoriety actually count for anything? Do we put any interest into that, or am I not the only one who discounts it as meaningless without some kind of real achievement involved?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a downer! I agree with much of what you said and have chosen to cut contact with most of my biological family.

Through a relative who is big on genealogy, I know that my grandfather's grandfather was killed for having an affair with a married woman. Made the newspaper. Seems the lack of control goes up the male gene in that branch of my family pretty far...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks but no.

For the rest of us I wish it was only physical abuse because his verbal, emotional, and psychological abuse was worse.
Nice family, huh.

So, I have no interest in it whatsoever in my biofamily, past, present or future.

We've seen that not even banks, credit bureaus or the government can keep data secure.

Insurance companies could use it to deny insurance to high risk people and employers could use it to filter out recruits as understanding of the human genetic code matures.
No thanks.

Feels weird to just "like" that whole post. I'm deeply humbled by people who have gone through so much and have overcome the negativity. They are better human beings than many others, who'll seek excuses for their selfishness (insert pic of no. 45). It IS possible, but it's hard and painful work. You deserve my utmost respect and, more importantly, all the fcd s your heart desires, @kenny

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We did the DNA and also have great records thru the church’s. My family was in Kornwestheim Germany for the last 900 years (And some still are). The Lutheran church’s kept records of everything. As far as my DNA I figure if anyone wants it that badly they can go thru my trash. It’s pretty crummy DNA. :knockout:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We did the DNA and also have great records thru the church’s. My family was in Kornwestheim Germany for the last 900 years (And some still are). The Lutheran church’s kept records of everything. As far as my DNA I figure if anyone wants it that badly they can go thru my trash. It’s pretty crummy DNA. :knockout:

Yep, ours is Lutheran, too. Great administration

Illinifire

Rough_Rock
Not responding except to say I enjoyed your very thoughtful response

Jen

Thanks but no.

Nice family, huh.

No thanks.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Diamond related, my mother's cousin found a 4.21 carat yellow diamond at Crater of Diamonds State Park and appeared on the Today show.

A bit more obscure. My uncle was an a extremely well known author, judge ,clinician and breeder in the herding dog world. When he passed away the family received condolences from mourners in over 50 different countries.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I think we don't really. But I had a family member who does work on our genealogy say that we are extremely distantly related to Diana the former Princess of Wales. I am still trying to find the link though because I am skeptical!

Other than that only part of our family kept decent records that go back to before the revolutionary war. I have the genealogy book proving that much. I hope one day to get the edition with my name and add my daughter's.

On the other hand my husband's family is related to some famous figures. I am hoping one day we can take our daughter to see their land in Scotland someday. I would love to see where my own Scottish ancestors lived but nobody can yet tell me if they were Highlanders or lowlanders so oh well lol.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
My mother’s family are descendants of the Donnelly family. I’m not sure if anyone knows who they are outside of Ontario, but there are books, a tv series, and a museum (with escape room which is a bit morbid). We’ve been to the cemetery to leave coins because the family tombstone was taken down.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. A former king of Portugal
2. Winston Churchill
3. Princess Di was my great Aunt, so I guess that makes William and Harry cousins of mine?

With a family tree like that, I am the poster child of underachievement :lol:

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My mother’s family are descendants of the Donnelly family. I’m not sure if anyone knows who they are outside of Ontario, but there are books, a tv series, and a museum (with escape room which is a bit morbid). We’ve been to the cemetery to leave coins because the family tombstone was taken down.

I listen to way too many true crime podcasts, so I've heard the story!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. A former king of Portugal
2. Winston Churchill
3. Princess Di was my great Aunt, so I guess that makes William and Harry cousins of mine?

With a family tree like that, I am the poster child of underachievement :lol:

Do you sell locks of your hair?
Is hair from any part of your body the same price? :Up_to_something:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you sell locks of your hair?
Is hair from any part of your body the same price? :Up_to_something:

I'm literally trying to get my breathe back right now :lol: :lol:

I thought it was common knowledge around here that my hair began falling out years ago, if you go somewhere I've been before ya might be able to find some for free :lol-2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm literally trying to get my breathe back right now :lol: :lol:

I thought it was common knowledge around here that my hair began falling out years ago, if you go somewhere I've been before ya might be able to find some for free :lol-2:

Promises Promises. :lickout:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe locally famous? My older brother was on the news and ESPN several times. I don't know the technical term but basically he follows college basketball and picks who he believes based on past performance will be drafted that season.

He was a hermit growing up, always spent lots of time in his room, we always wondered what he was doing in there all that time, apparently the answer was watching college basketball!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will never do the DNA testing thing, so I will never know. There is a fair amount of secrecy from the older generation of my family.
I recently found out that my brother was written about in a book called Vice. He was a Compton police officer back in the day. He recently died, and was 20 years older than me. He had been retired for many years after being shot in the back after walking in on a drug buy in a bar.

My family had a toxic element to it as well. I just leave the whole thing alone and don't have much contact with anyone.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I listen to way too many true crime podcasts, so I've heard the story!

I’m oddly proud of them. Other than the first murder (in self defence) there was no evidence of their other crimes. They were definitely rough people, but I think in the end they were targeted for standing up for their beliefs.

They were Irish Catholic, but they didn’t agree with how the church was treating members of the community who were Protestant. There were outbursts during mass, they left the church, and they donated/helped build a new Anglican Church. The local catholic priest took part in orchestrating their murder.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do, though more famous in her day than now. My great aunt was an opera singer for the Metropolitan for about 10 years in the 1930's and worked with many famous people. She married the president of Wells Fargo who was also famous in his own right (was kidnapped by Pancho Villa) so both her time in the opera and afterwards was full of interesting times, parties, and things like starting an artist colony in Taxco Mexico. My great grandmother (whom I was named after) donated her letters to her sister to the local university library.

When I was growing up I "felt" famous because my Dad was in the restaurant business, and knew the restaurant owners, and so going to those restaurants our family was treated like royalty (owner coming out to greet us, comp us food etc) with people turning around wondering who we were. My Dad even did a radio commercial for American Express at one point with the line "Do you know me?" From working in the restaurant business he did meet a number of famous people.

Other random stuff, have a 2nd cousin who is a reporter/correspondent so on the tv, and my Greek grandmother is supposedly related to a former prime minister of Greece through marriage though I don't know the details.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My mom is part of a huge political family in Taiwan (kinda on par with the Kennedys in the US). My maternal grandfather and a few of his brothers have all held political positions such as senators and mayors, and the family owns a lot of land and major corporations.

This same family also produced my mom's first cousin, a singer and actor in Asia (he is now 85 and still tours!). He was quite a heart throb in Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong and China when he was young!

My dad grew up in a small village where everyone knew his name (locally famous) because he was the first kid to "make it" and get into the top university in Taiwan, followed by becoming a diplomat. The village threw a parade and celebration when he passed the exams to become a diplomat!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results