shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you give money to the homeless?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t. We don''t have enough to give. However, when we''re at Petsmart, and ringing up a purchase, I can''t help but to donate $1 to homeless pets...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
typically i try not to with the people by the freeways with signs because it encourages that and it also makes me uncomfortable, which i hate. but sometimes the people look so pathetic it''s almost like how can you NOT?

however, half the time i know that those people are not in as dire straits as they might seem. i too have seen the reports of what they get in $$, that a lot of them lie, etc etc.

i typically end up wanting to give more to people that i see doing things like selling homemade trinkets or this one guy who sells homemade sketch art outside the local grocery store. as greg says, at least those people are trying to do something and make something of value that they then can sell you. it''s not like straight charity...whereas the peeps on the corner with the sign, its like...honestly you can stand on the corner with the sign for 8 hours a day in bad weather... why can''t do you something to MAKE money??? there are a lot of people who have issues or disabilities who still manage to hold some type of a job, regardless of what kind of job it is.

a friend told me that a week ago someone approached her in the grocery store and said ''i won''t lie, can you give me $5 so that i can buy drugs?''..my friend was like WTF...heck no. at least she was being honest.
40.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 9:16:33 PM
Author: icekid
I do not give money to people on the street, usually. It puts me at risk of getting mugged later, IMO. It seems to me that my money will be better used going to a charity than someone who will use it to buy drugs.
This is why I don''t, and this is why FI always tells me not to also. I work downtown and walk back and forth to my car and the staff cars. One time a coworker (a guy) and I were walking back from the staff car and were approached by a guy. His car was sitting on the side of the street. He said he''d run out of gas and needed some money to go get gas, because he was late to pick up his kid from preschool. I pretty much believed him, but I told him I didn''t have any cash. Even when I do carry cash, that''s my response. I can''t be picky-choosy about who I believe and don''t.

I told FI about that and he was glad I didn''t, and made sure I knew not to in the future too. If I do, that guy now knows where I keep my money, and that I''ll give it away, and that I keep some with me period. The guy could be legit, but you never know - he did run off and ask the next person in the parking lot. But if he''s not for real, he''s probably got friends, and they can spread the word.

I''m just way too cautious to take a risk like that. I''d rather give in other ways. I do hate it though, like trillionaire said. Because I feel bad for people who really are just in a tight spot. I''d hate to think that everybody in the world would be like me if I actually ran out of gas downtown and my kid was waiting for me to pick them up, and I didn''t have a cell phone to call anyone. I don''t know. I know what my response always is, but I always feel bad anyway.

Trillionaire, I echo your feelings towards your friend''s responses. I''ve often wondered if my serious food dislikes would stick around if I was hungry enough. I doubt it when it gets bad enough. But I could never look at someone like that as sub-human. I do distance myself, because it is always a possible threat and risk to myself and my safety and wellbeing. But like I said above, I''d hate for people to look at ME as sub-human if I was ever in that situation and the tables were turned. So I try to have the right attitude at least. And give when I can in other ways.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 1:21:36 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
A couple years ago I watched a local news network put a person dressed to look homeless on a popular corner with a sign. They made almost $600 dollars that day for just standing there. (They turned around and donated the money they made since there was no way to return it.) Ever since then, I realized that anybody with ratty clothes and a cardboard sign can steal my money and not have to work, so I don''t give money to homeless people ever.

What I hate is being approached for money in a parking lot. And it''s always the same stories. ''My baby needs diapers, I''m trying to get home to my sick mother, blah blah blah...'' Yeah, right. Take your stories elsewhere, pal. I work hard for my money and refuse to give it to a moocher. Go get a job.

Jeez I sound harsh. But it''s honest.
I''ve seen these same documentaries. They said that lawyers and such have quit their jobs to do this because they can make more money. Ha, that''s insane.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 2:26:40 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries

Date: 4/13/2009 1:21:36 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
A couple years ago I watched a local news network put a person dressed to look homeless on a popular corner with a sign. They made almost $600 dollars that day for just standing there. (They turned around and donated the money they made since there was no way to return it.) Ever since then, I realized that anybody with ratty clothes and a cardboard sign can steal my money and not have to work, so I don''t give money to homeless people ever.

What I hate is being approached for money in a parking lot. And it''s always the same stories. ''My baby needs diapers, I''m trying to get home to my sick mother, blah blah blah...'' Yeah, right. Take your stories elsewhere, pal. I work hard for my money and refuse to give it to a moocher. Go get a job.

Jeez I sound harsh. But it''s honest.
I''ve seen these same documentaries. They said that lawyers and such have quit their jobs to do this because they can make more money. Ha, that''s insane.
There are people who abuse every system. (Hello AIG!) I''m certain that there are more people in need than fraudalent lawyers and scam artists. I don''t run into homeless people everyday, but I enjoy helping people. If your intentions are disingeneous, then that will probably come back to you, but I embrace a spirit of giving and sharing. it makes me happy and makes me feel good. Questioning everyone''s intentions and refusing to help people does not make me feel good, so when I can give, I do. An anecdotal documentary would not convince me otherwise, but I would be glad to realize that it was a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results