shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you flaunt your jewelry proudly?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Amethyste,
Your new yellow pear is gorgeous! Congratulations on your purchase for yourself.
I completely understand your awareness. Maybe it is more because it is brand new and you are still getting used to it.
I try to wear all the jewelry that I have bought for myself proudly since I work hard and save for these purchases. However, I do feel self-conscious when family or friends comment on them for some reason. Somehow I feel like I might not deserve these nice things since they don''t have them. Which is totally bizarre since everyone has different priorities. I feel like it is an issue that I have to deal with and it really doesn''t matter what others think.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 1:38:32 PM
Author: upgrade
I understand why you feel the way you do, but I think you''ll feel a lot more comfortable with it when it''s not so new and you''re used to it.

I don''t ever feel the need to hide my ering in public (because while I love the size, it''s not all that huge!) except around my best friend. I''ve had my upgrade for months now and she still hasn''t seen it. I keep my hand fairly hidden around her because I don''t want her to notice. I feel bad because her diamond is half the size of my original and she commented on how mine was way bigger than hers when I got engaged (not in a mean way- she''s just always felt hers was small and has never liked her ring). She and her husband really struggle finanically and we have things that she wants but can''t afford already so I really don''t want her to feel bad when she sees my new ring. I felt guilty when I got my upgrade because I didn''t want to make her feel any worse about her situation or her ring which she already dislikes.

BTW- your new ring is gorgeous! Isn''t it nice to have a place like PS where you can show it off without any shame!
30.gif

Absolutely!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been places where I was unsafe before. I''ve been mugged and when I was young we had our house burglarized like four times and lost everything, including my mother''s engagement ring and wedding ring and my dad''s wedding ring. In her old age my grandmother was tied up and beat up by burglars that demanded to know where her jewelry and money were. So even though we live in a very safe neighborhood now, I always feel conscious of not letting others be too aware if I might have something they don''t and I try to be aware when I travel and so on, of not having on a lot of stuff.

So I think it might depend on your past experiences, how you are about these things.

I do love pretty things and I like to wear my jewelry and to be noticed, so there are often two parts of me fighting with each other, if you know what I mean. The most expensive thing I own are my diamond ear studs (my rings are fairly modest). I would like it if people noticed those a bit more than they seem to, actually (when I know I am in a safe situation). I mean, they are almost two carats ACA and very sparkly. But I can count the times that people who don''t already know that they are real have said anything about them. I don''t know if people are assuming that they are fake or what (but they really do not look fake).

I also never get compliments on my really stunning Akoya pearl necklace. what I do get a lot of compliments on are my high karat gold pieces. Is this because they are more unusual? I don''t know.

I do feel a bit frustrated sometimes about the earrings, though. I love them myself--I guess that that has to be enough.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I love your pear ring, BTW. I think you should enjoy it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flaunt it,flaunt it, shove it in their faces !!
36.gif

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 2:26:12 PM
Author: Black Jade
I''ve been places where I was unsafe before. I''ve been mugged and when I was young we had our house burglarized like four times and lost everything, including my mother''s engagement ring and wedding ring and my dad''s wedding ring. In her old age my grandmother was tied up and beat up by burglars that demanded to know where her jewelry and money were. So even though we live in a very safe neighborhood now, I always feel conscious of not letting others be too aware if I might have something they don''t and I try to be aware when I travel and so on, of not having on a lot of stuff.

So I think it might depend on your past experiences, how you are about these things.

I do love pretty things and I like to wear my jewelry and to be noticed, so there are often two parts of me fighting with each other, if you know what I mean. The most expensive thing I own are my diamond ear studs (my rings are fairly modest). I would like it if people noticed those a bit more than they seem to, actually (when I know I am in a safe situation). I mean, they are almost two carats ACA and very sparkly. But I can count the times that people who don''t already know that they are real have said anything about them. I don''t know if people are assuming that they are fake or what (but they really do not look fake).

I also never get compliments on my really stunning Akoya pearl necklace. what I do get a lot of compliments on are my high karat gold pieces. Is this because they are more unusual? I don''t know.

I do feel a bit frustrated sometimes about the earrings, though. I love them myself--I guess that that has to be enough.
Wow that''s scary! I can see why you''d be very aware of who you''re showing off your diamonds to after going through that.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Amethyste - I just checked out your ring on SMTR - it is GORGEOUS! Wow! I can''t tell you how much it tickles me to think of a "hippie chick" girl driving a Smart Car wearing a 5 carat yellow pear ring! Honestly - that made my day...... just love it.......

As far as "flaunting" goes: I have a vintage shooting star ring that was quite inexpensive (under $500). It has a lot of LITTLE diamonds in it so it''s quite sparkley so I guess this makes people think it IS expensive (non-diamond people - sheesh) I get a lot of "WOW! Is that REAL!!!" It really makes me laugh when people ask me that - I used to set them straight with how inexpensive it is but now I just say "Why yes - it IS!" LOL. I do love my ring - it has great finger coverage! I wish I had a diamond this big! WAIT - my entire ring is about the size of your 5 carat-er! LOL!

sparkley star.JPG

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amethyst - your ring is gorgeous and very unique. It''ll take a few more weeks (or even a month before you become use to it).

Enjoy!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its funny, I feel the same way, although my diamond is modest in PS world but one of the largest in my family/friends circle, and I kind of find myself too hiding it for some reason, They all know I work hard and DH works hard too, but it just feels weird, like when I see people looking, i feel too like I have to explain myself. "Its my five year anniversary ring.. Dang it! and I so deserve it... lol kind of explanation!" heck another five year, I want a 2 ct! oh well... I hardly spend any money on clothes makeup or salon stuff, so the amount of money I could have spent on those items, I sock it away for my bling fund and thats my rationale behind it

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
It depends who I am around. My friends all like jewelry, and are financially stable, so they don''t criticize or judge if my husband gets me a new gift.

My family however is a totally different story. Even though they are upper-middle class, they are also really into saving and investing, and the women in my family really don''t wear diamonds (my mom never even wears her engagement ring, which is large and gorgeous - it sits in their safe). So, when I go to a family event, and I''m the only one not wearing a plain gold band, I''ve heard a couple of disapproving comments from my aunts (even though my husband has paid cash for all my jewelry, and we are financially secure). However, a few of them put all of their money into real estate investments, which are now worth less than zero. I sure am glad that my husband bought me some jewelry with his extra bonus cash instead of a failing real estate investment - just goes to show that sometimes even "wise" investments don''t turn out to be the prudent choice.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with jmtomaui about "flaunt" not being the word I''d use. I try not to flaunt anything, jewelry or otherwise. I also try to be both sensitive and smart about when I wear my jewelry - whether it is diamond, pearl, watch, etc. There are the right times and places for jewelry.

I don''t take any of my nice pieces if I''m traveling overseas, partly for safety reasons and partly because it''s one more thing to worry about and look after. I''d rather just go have fun. And I consider where I''m going if it''s the U.S. Hiking trips don''t lend themselves to baubles of any kind. And if I go someplace that might be sketchy, I ain''t cracking out the diamonds or pearls then either.

I also try to be sensitive to those who may be in a different financial position. I do care what people think and I don''t want to make them uncomfortable. Plus, it just seems like the polite thing to do, but that''s me. YMMV.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 2:50:34 PM
Author: upgrade

Date: 6/26/2009 2:26:12 PM
Author: Black Jade

Wow that''s scary! I can see why you''d be very aware of who you''re showing off your diamonds to after going through that.
It was a long time ago, but it stays with you. I''m glad I don''t live where this is an issue now and wish I could get over being nervous when there is no need.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Black Jade,

I too had an engagement ring taken in an armed robbery.( This was in a very exclusive business, best part of town, around dusk.) Though you want to forget about it, that is not possible, even though it was a long time ago.

Rainwood made a good point about being both sensitive and smart with jewelry.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My set is modest by PS standards -- a 1.17ct solitaire and a .55ctw half eternity -- but in the circles I spend time in it is by far the biggest and most flashy set. I simply adore my rings, they bring me a lot of pleasure and I wear them all the time except to the gym and sleeping. Still, there have been moments where I become uncomfortably aware of the attention they garner. But sucks to anyone who thinks something bad! My rings are the most fabulous thing I own and I love them to death, it is so worth the slight occassional discomfort for something that brings me so much pleasure.

My MIL just recently upgraded her ring and got a beautiful pave setting. Her rings attract a lot of attention because of the pave (Mausketeer you are so right about non-diamond people
20.gif
). But whenever people comment on her rings, saying, ''Wow, do you get a new set?" She says, "Oh, yes, we can''t afford it, I told my husband not to do it, but there is a large inclusion..." and covers her hand
38.gif
It''s really sad and makes her look worse than if she just felt proud of her set!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Ive worn jewelry everyday since Ive been about 12 years old.I wear it for me and no one else.I do however enjoy when people ask about my jewelry whether it be a watch,diamond or antique ring, or turquiose bracelet.Always a great way to start a conversation.But Im careful about where I wear or discuss openly my jewelry,having been the target of two attempted(and failed) muggings in the past.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 9:03:06 AM
Author: elrohwen
Date: 6/26/2009 8:45:35 AM

Author: elledizzy5

I often hide my hand. The 'Oh my gosh, it's so big!' comments bug me. I think I feel this way because I NEVER wear jewelry, I'm such a plain person fashion wise, and then I have a diamond that's pretty large. I get self-conscious.

Ditto Elle.

When I'm somewhere that my ring is just average (like NYC or Connecticut) I don't even think about it. But when I travel to rural places, I get self conscious because lots of people stare and make comments. I don't wear a lot of jewelry and dress pretty plain, so it does make me feel uncomfortable when people stare and make comments like 'That's the biggest diamond I've ever seen!' I'm excited to get my wedding band because then I can just wear that when I travel.
I think this is the crux of it for me (the bolded bit). A lot of times, it comes down to location and what's deemed 'acceptable' by those that live there. But, I (as a person) don't change when I travel between the big city and the small country town, so why should my likes, my hobbies, the things that make me tick? They shouldn't! My interests aren't about fitting in, they're about expressing myself. Why should an interest in jewelery be any different?
33.gif

Amethyste, I wrestled with this same problem for a while in my head too (and still do a bit on those days where the bad things get me down, even though I know better than to care about other people
1.gif
). My engagement ring diamond is an heirloom we're using temporarily, until we can save up for my dream ring. The heirloom center stone is about half a carat. The ring is lovely but not my style at all, and is too small (in my opinion) for my large size 9 fingers. At home in America, people call it "cute." But here in England (London, even!), it is considered big. To my astonishment, I even got the "Oh my gosh, is it REAL?!" comment at work (a reasonably affluent area of London). About my itty bitty diamond! So can you imagine what they will say when I get MY ring with a center stone that's at least twice the carat weight? I worried for a little bit, what people would think of me and how I am with money, until I realized that we will take YEARS to save up for it and that it's a forever piece of jewelry that I've spent over half my life shopping for. No one can make me feel like I don't deserve it because I do. I just have to remember that, because the doubt comes from within--'was it a waste of money?' 'Am I being financially responsible?' But it's NOT a waste if you love it. And you love it! So they can all piss off if they give either of us any grief about it.
3.gif
2.gif

PS: Your ring is
18.gif
. Wear that baby with pride!
36.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the kind comments and explanations on how and each one of you feel about wearing your lovelies in different places and situations. It strange to even feel weird about our jewelry even in defferent set of social events.
i was asking about traveling just because I am going to Germany in August to visit my inlaws. Well, in Germany women and men
wear bands usually ( on the right side ) and we are going to attend a family reunion uniting 80+ people from different parts of the world. I don''t know exactly how people will dress up. But I certainly do want my ring to come with me. I rather have it on my finger than worried about it when its home by itself. I dont want to feel like I am pissing over people in europe by showing off my ring when most people do not display such exhuberance. BUT, I love my ring and its becoming part of myself, I think most likely, I''ll be bringing it with me. I am not the kind of gal who has a lot of jewelry. Trust me, this pear ring is the ONLY huge thing I''ll ever have or own. I am a "one" ring kind of person. And I am not going to stick something this beautiful in a vault and only wear it on special occasions. I don''t know if i''ll be here tomorrow, so might as well live every second of it and that includes wearing my ring daily. It will be insured, so if I am paying the premium, i''ll be darn sure to enjoy it.

I am more self consciencious around close group of friends because they notice things like that and I feel like I should explain myself to them cause we all share girlie secrets. So I find myself hiding my hands ( like at work etc ). When I go out in public, I couldnt care less actually... Funny feeling...

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
It depends on my surroundings or environment. Sometimes I feel out of place because most in my area don't sport good quality diamonds, least of all diamonds over .75 ct. I'm currently wearing my 2 ct diamond three stone ring by itself. I sometimes hide it around relatives or modest people. In SWVA it's not exactly the "norm." Now, in Atlanta or other metropolitan or large cities, I have no problem flaunting it. I'm proud of it. Not bad for being 24. I'm hoping to pair it with a 2 ct eternity band in the near future.

For me, diamonds or gemstones are my thing. Oh, and electronics. I like having nice electronics or up to date stuff. Same for cosmetics, perfume (natural/bespoke) and skin/hair care. Clothes and shoes? Meh. Cars? I dig my 2008 Chevy HHR. Husband drives a Chevy Uplander. I place value on certain things, jewelry being one of them.

I know some friends don't "get" my attention to detail when it comes to jewelry and cosmetics. I'm a jewelry snob. They would be fine with B&M or maul store jewelry/diamonds, but definitely not me.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I don''t flaunt and I never brag, but I absolutely do wear my 2.36 RB e-ring (every day) with happiness and pride!
30.gif

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes.

I wear it on weekends, Mondays and Tuesdays. Weird right?

I don''t mind wearing it around my friends and family at all, hence the weekend wear. On Mon and Tues I work in an office with clients who have wealth beyond belief. I am comfortable wearing my ring there and no one really pays it any attention, which is what I like. As an aside, I have not seen a single huge diamond on the clients I''ve met. The women wear modest bands mostly.

The rest of the week I work in an office where the clients are filing for bankruptcy and have other financial troubles. I don''t wear my ring there because I feel like its not appropriate for the setting and I don''t want to draw any attention to myself. I''m sure people would notice it because I''m always doing something with my hands on the table-- holding papers, taking notes. I can''t really hide it so I wear only a thin platinum band.

I''m sad to leave my ring in the jewelry box when I go to work. I''d love to wear it every day!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results