• A. Yes

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • B. No

Votes: 21 91.3%

• Total voters

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO using a real camera (the best phones are mayyyybe comparable to the cheapest point & shoots...) does more for making everything about you flattering than any filters possibly could!
I'm a Canon girl. I photograph, crop, and post. If my skin and hair looked like Canon's colour science makes them look right out of the camera I'd be on every bloody billboard around :lol:
Well, once Canon adds that "lose X lbs" filter :lol:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly. I am so glad I never had to do online dating but if I did I would totally make myself look worse so the person I was meeting wouldn't be disappointed! I wouldn't want to look amazing in a photo and terrible IRL and then have his jaw drop when we first met LOL.
The last time I did online dating I met my husband. I purposefully only posted pictures of myself without makeup.

I'm always blown away by the face "smoothing" that makes someones nose disappear into their face. How does anyone think that looks good? Or natural?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO using a real camera (the best phones are mayyyybe comparable to the cheapest point & shoots...) does more for making everything about you flattering than any filters possibly could!
I'm a Canon girl. I photograph, crop, and post. If my skin and hair looked like Canon's colour science makes them look right out of the camera I'd be on every bloody billboard around :lol:

Ooh wish we had a camera like that. My parents are both into photography and took amazing photos. I never got into photography but when you describe it like that makes me want to run out and get a camera and post lots of pics. :lol: For now my iPhone is it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last time I did online dating I met my husband. I purposefully only posted pictures of myself without makeup.

I'm always blown away by the face "smoothing" that makes someones nose disappear into their face. How does anyone think that looks good? Or natural?

Smart girl! And look at how your love story turned out. :love:

Not to sound judgmental because I swear I am not judging anyone but the plastic surgery I see on let's say the RHO franchises well, I don't think it is flattering. IMO. But, I think people are conditioned now to find that flattering and I am in the minority. Crazy but true.

I guess it comes down to different strokes for different folks and taste varies. But I do think many are conditioned to like that plastic surgery look as it seems prevalent at least on TV and what I see in real life too. If it makes them happy more power to them. I am not one to judge at all. Just making an observation and sharing my opinion.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to sound judgmental because I swear I am not judging anyone but the plastic surgery I see on let's say the RHO franchises well, I don't think it is flattering. IMO. But, I think people are conditioned now to find that flattering and I am in the minority. Crazy but true.
I've only watched RHOC. Some of the face lifts I saw were amazing, in my opinion; others were a bit of a "yikes". But I agree, with fillers and other plastic surgery it's very easy to go overboard and have a plastic look.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too. On our very first date we went for a walk through Central Park on a cool autumn day at dusk and Greg said he thought it was adorable how my nose turned pink. You can always tell how I am feeling. Cold, embarrassed, mad, happy etc just by looking at my face and my nose and cheeks. LOL I cannot tell a lie. My face betrays me every single time.

OMG. ME. TOO. It isn't just my nose that blushes, it's my face, too! Soooo embarrassing, especially while making presentations at work. I hate public speaking and without fail, I go beet red the entire time...which I can feel as it's happening and it makes me even more nervous, which causes my cheeks to get even redder! Gah!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh wish we had a camera like that. My parents are both into photography and took amazing photos. I never got into photography but when you describe it like that makes me want to run out and get a camera and post lots of pics. :lol: For now my iPhone is it.

LOL. We all have our tributes to vanity... right!?

First pic with an iphone 6s just now. It's about 4:30 here in NY... already getting dark. Second with a Canon G7X P&S in fully "auto everything" mode. Both pics are cropped but otherwise unaltered. Neither is flattering at all... but the second is a marked improvement! ETA I'd hate to see a filter try to turn the first into the second :???:

Pearls because unlike diamonds - but like me - they usually hate the camera.

IPHONE_V.png

CANON_V.png

FWIW I never use "auto" on the camera. I know how to work with my environment better than camera automation. Which turns me into that person who makes everyone hold their smiles for sixty seconds whilst I f around with my settings ::)

ETA Sorry @missy, pretty sure this is derailing your thread. Add me to the "no filters, please" and the "everyone's got pores" camps!

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

First pic with an iphone 6s just now. It's about 4:30 here in NY... already getting dark. Second with a Canon G7X P&S in fully "auto everything" mode. Both pics are cropped but otherwise unaltered. Neither is flattering at all... but the second is a marked improvement! ETA I'd hate to see a filter try to turn the first into the second :???:

IPHONE_V.png

CANON_V.png

FWIW I never use "auto" on the camera. I know how to work with my environment better than camera automation. Which turns me into that person who makes everyone hold their smiles for sixty seconds whilst I f around with my settings ::)

ETA Sorry @missy, pretty sure this is derailing your thread. Add me to the "no filters, please" and the "everyone's got pores" camps!

(@missy - pls excuse the brief threadjack)

@yssie - when it comes time for me to buy some pearls, can I pls just tell you what I want, write you a check, and leave you to it? There is no way I could find the beauties you find and your taste is exquisite.

People accumulate fabulous collections using all sorts of ingenious methods. This is mine.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I've never taken a selfie of myself ...

I take my parrot Bibi almost everywhere.
He attracts lots of attention and loves to meet new people and sit on their shoulders.
82.7% of the people ask if they can take a selfie with Bibi on their shoulder.

I quickly joke that selfies are $50.
Always gets a laugh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IPHONE_V.png

CANON_V.png

Wow you can see the difference even with the auto setting. Thanks @yssie and you don't need to apologize to me. It’s not my thread but even if it were no apologies would be necessary.

@mrs-b it’s not my thread so @nala please accept all our apologies for the threadjack.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

He attracts lots of attention and loves to meet new people and sit on their shoulders.

Always gets a laugh.

Haha I would probably be one to stop you and ask if I could say hi to Bibi. And I would love to take a photo with him too if you and he would be OK with it. What a sweetheart Bibi is. :love:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow you can see the difference even with the auto setting. Thanks @yssie and you don't need to apologize to me. It’s not my thread but even if it were no apologies would be necessary.

@mrs-b it’s not my thread so @nala please accept all our apologies for the threadjack.

Whoops! Sorry Nala! :wavey:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One popular account stretches herself out so she looks thinner. I was so surprised when I met her and she’s like 5 feet tall. Of course when she posted a photo of us we were almost the same height...

I'm laughing at this bc I have some friends who go to the same gym as some of the Dallas "Real Housewives" and their social media accounts all have the photos stretched and maybe the show does too?? Rather than the camera adding ten pounds, it apparently looks like the camera subtracted 20! (Not a knock against their weight, but the silly vanity of it all.)

Smart girl! And look at how your love story turned out. :love:

I guess it comes down to different strokes for different folks and taste varies. But I do think many are conditioned to like that plastic surgery look as it seems prevalent at least on TV and what I see in real life too. If it makes them happy more power to them. I am not one to judge at all. Just making an observation and sharing my opinion.

Very true. I agree with you. Teeny tiny noses and huge lips aren't actually flattering on EVERYONE. Some people - yes. But I've seen actresses and singers who I thought were stunning get plastic surgery that made them meh. Lady Gaga has had a lot of stuff done that make her look meh to me from her early days where she looked amazing, for instance. When you look at a lot of the really famous actresses - they often have a unique look, and even if they are getting plastic surgery to lessen the effects of aging, they're not changing their basic look.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. ME. TOO. It isn't just my nose that blushes, it's my face, too! Soooo embarrassing, especially while making presentations at work. I hate public speaking and without fail, I go beet red the entire time...which I can feel as it's happening and it makes me even more nervous, which causes my cheeks to get even redder! Gah!!!

That’s me to a T. I blush so easily (because I’m shy) and when I do, I look like a freaking lobster! I hate it so much!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie, The pearls are gorgeous! Thank you for posting these pics.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
@yssie i have to say i switched from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone 11 pro last week and the cameras are vastly different. The new phone is similar to my DSLR. Not quite as good, but close enough that it’s not worth hauling a camera bag on my next vacation.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate taking selfie’s but maybe if I used a filter it might be a big improvement

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
It was really odd meeting a woman who is very very good at filters/photoshop. I’d never met her before and I walked right past someone who looked to be in her 50’s (it was her) because she uses filters on Instagram that makes her look mid 20’s.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t take selfies or even many photos. I rarely like how I look in photos. I did have one taken at a wedding last week that wasn’t too bad. If someone takes one I don’t look at it.

I agree with Mrs B. I have a friend in her 50’s who posts several a day with everything smoothed. She adds purple to her hair, or wears Minnie Mouse ears, cuts her bangs- she thinks everyone wants to see it. I should just unfollow. I do like her in real life, just not on social media.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chemgirl thanks for specifying the phones you switched from and to! I’ve been using a 7+ for a minute and there’s nothing wrong with it...I’ve been looking for a reason really to step up to something newer.

I love black and white for selfies. Why? it’s just forgiving. I tried to post a few hours ago, then I got self conscious BECAUSE the images were so big, and when I tried to change them to “thumbnail” versions, the post turned out to be 3 giant images and 3 thumbnails. I felt like I failed at PS and couldn’t shake the dunce hat. Pbbbbt. Posting my b/w and one of my 11 year old niece and me. All taken in the past 30 days.

D09A2F5A-E922-4D93-84E0-8F90FF804F5A.jpeg 7C802ADC-848C-49F8-A8FB-E49291F8D644.jpeg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Always gets a laugh.

My dog Chuck is old and super fluffy, looks almost like a muppet version of himself. The last 2 times I took him out, people asked to take pics with him! I always say sure.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Nope.

I‘ve occasionally done a Snapchat filter with ears or something, but never a beauty filter. For me it is a feminist issue. It drives me nuts to see women only posting (obviously) heavily filtered photos of themselves. We know what you look like.

Using filters like that telegraphs to the world that you are insecure. That your real face needs to be blurred for you to be comfortable. I have a 12 year old daughter and it is important to me that she be comfortable in her own skin, so I need to model that.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but I probably should!!! :lol-2:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I’ve never taken a selfie, and didn’t know what filtering a selfie meant. Wow - I didn’t even realize it was a “thing”. Thanks for the education, Pricescope!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results