shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Ever Stack a Solitaire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Other than your wedding set, do you ever stack a solitaire?

If yes, tell me more--do you stack it with a band? Multiple bands? More solitaires? Do you love a gap, or prefer your rings to sit flush? What kind of stone is your solitaire? Does it "match" the rings you stack it with?

If no, tell me why not.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, no takers at all
7.gif
? Maybe I asked too many questions!

The reason I was asking was that I have a sapphire solitaire RHR that I''m not sure looks "right" stacked with a band, so I wanted to get some PS opinions about stacking solitaires.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure I get the question KB. I have a bunch of bezeled solitaires that I stack together? Is that kind of what you''re talking about?

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:08:54 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I''m not sure I get the question KB. I have a bunch of bezeled solitaires that I stack together? Is that kind of what you''re talking about?
Sorry I didn''t realize the question wasn''t clear! Yes, I''m kind of talking about bezeled solitaires for stacking.

Also, would you stack a larger solitaire with bands? Like, if you were already wearing a wedding set on your left hand, would you also stack another solitaire RHR with stacking bands or more solitaires on your right hand, too? What combination might look pretty, and what might be "too much," in your opinion?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I usually will stack two solitaires on my right hand. I just got a couple from etsy, a blue topaz and a green topaz, and then I got a tsavorite eternity, so I'll stack a solitaire, eternity and then solitaire.

Ends up looking kind of like this:

-------O-------
~~~~~~~~
-------O-------

Or like when MonkyPie and I had our little GTG this past weekend, I stacked a little starset princess tanzanite with the tsav eternity.

I don't mind gaps, but I do prefer flush fit.

Not long ago I actually purchased 38 smaller stones with the idea of making a bunch of stacking solitaires. My first real jewelry purchase was 3 silver stacking solitaires from a local artist. A trillion Swiss Blue topaz, an oval peridot, and a round London Blue topaz.

If you go poke around in Colored Stones, Brown.Eyed.Girl just had some stackers made not too long ago with some of her smaller loose stones. She made a thread about them about 3 weeks-a month ago.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I like to stack solitaires too. I have an extremely cheap stacking set for my right hand. It''s a sterling silver and black onyx ring (just cut in a rectangle shape) that I stack with a thin sterling rolling ring and I love the look of it. When I get more money I want to get a tri-colored thin rolling ring and get different gemstone solitaires in different colors of gold to pair with it, depending on what I''m wearing.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Freke, thanks for sharing and for the tip on checking out Colored Stones. I don''t usually venture over there much, but it looks like there have been so many cute stacking gemstone rings lately!

Kelli, your stacking combo sounds gorgeous. Do you have any pics?

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
interesting timing on this thread.

I''m due in 5 weeks and not supposed to wear my baby ring yet. I "illegally" wore my OMC push-present today, and as I was driving into work, I stacked it beside my solitaire to see the colour difference. (G vs N/O)

Lo and behold, I actually didn''t *mind* the look. I''m now thinking of getting two WEEEEEEEEEEE thin bands with icy white mini-diamonds to flank each side of my light yellow OMC. (maybe 3 pointers each, for example)

It would be kinda like having a 3 stone, without committing to a 3 stone.
3.gif

MelaStackingSoli.jpg

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 3:58:24 PM
Author: mela lu

I''m due in 5 weeks and not supposed to wear my baby ring yet. I ''illegally'' wore my OMC push-present today, and as I was driving into work, I stacked it beside my solitaire to see the colour difference. (G vs N/O)

Lo and behold, I actually didn''t *mind* the look. I''m now thinking of getting two WEEEEEEEEEEE thin bands with icy white mini-diamonds to flank each side of my light yellow OMC. (maybe 3 pointers each, for example)

3.gif
that is soo fun!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Gak. They're big. sorry!
another of just the two Soli's (the other had a thin stacker in there too)
ETA: don't think I'd ever actually wear them together, but it inspired me to do a stacker idea down the road...

MelaSolitaires.jpg

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I was just thinking about a woman I worked with the other day.

She had a unique wedding set and I thought it looked really cool. She was married with a 1/4 engagment ring and a plain band. By the time I met her, she had a plain band, 1/4 diamond, then another matching plain band and a 1/2 carat diamond solitaire on top that matched the setting of the 1/4 carat one.

I was young, 21 or 22 when we worked together and she was around 30. The story was the 1/2 was a 5 year anniverasry giftr and she was too sentimental about the 1/4 carat original to trade it in so she wore both.

It looked really cool on her long fingers. She pulled off the look and it was very unique. It was all in yellow gold.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have such short fingers
7.gif
so my stacking is limited but I have a semi bezel solitair with my jazz bezel wedding ring, plus I''m getting another jazz bezel to flank the other side, and at first I thought I might be bothered since there is gaps, but I actually like it this way to show that it''s not all one ring.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:20:00 PM
I usually will stack two solitaires on my right hand. I just got a couple from etsy, a blue topaz and a green topaz, and then I got a tsavorite eternity, so I''ll stack a solitaire, eternity and then solitaire.

Ends up looking kind of like this:

-------O-------

~~~~~~~~

-------O-------

Or like when MonkyPie and I had our little GTG this past weekend, I stacked a little starset princess tanzanite with the tsav eternity.

I don''t mind gaps, but I do prefer flush fit.

Not long ago I actually purchased 38 smaller stones with the idea of making a bunch of stacking solitaires. My first real jewelry purchase was 3 silver stacking solitaires from a local artist. A trillion Swiss Blue topaz, an oval peridot, and a round London Blue topaz.

If you go poke around in Colored Stones, Brown.Eyed.Girl just had some stackers made not too long ago with some of her smaller loose stones. She made a thread about them about 3 weeks-a month ago.

Thanks Freke for the mention! Kittybean, I had these made for my trip - very low-maintenance, tough little rings to survive hiking, glaciers, etc.
1.gif
I had Erin (CreativeGoldsmith on Etsy) make the shanks really thin since I have short fingers. I ended up wearing two on my left hand and one on my right hand on the trip since three was a bit much for me.

BEGEtsyStackers.jpg

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Mela, I really like the three-stone-but-not-really idea. It sounds really interesting and pretty. Your push present is gorgeous! Do you have a thread about it yet?

D&T, are you for sure getting the second bezel band? I was just looking at your thread today, and I l-o-v-e your new wedding set. I recently inherited a yellow gold/diamond ring myself, and I really love the YG.

BEG, your stackers are awesome! They look so good together. The colors go together so well. I have short fingers as well--just for reference, how many mm are the shanks?

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I have different bands (ruby, saphire, diamond) some times I change my wedding band for color ones, I don''t used them at the same time.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 7:59:14 PM
Author: kittybean
Mela, I really like the three-stone-but-not-really idea. It sounds really interesting and pretty. Your push present is gorgeous! Do you have a thread about it yet?

D&T, are you for sure getting the second bezel band? I was just looking at your thread today, and I l-o-v-e your new wedding set. I recently inherited a yellow gold/diamond ring myself, and I really love the YG.

BEG, your stackers are awesome! They look so good together. The colors go together so well. I have short fingers as well--just for reference, how many mm are the shanks?

Thanks Kittybean! They''re really thin - only 1.5 mm. In retrospect I might''ve gone a little thicker (to 1.8 mm) since I ended up wearing them separately (2 on one hand, 1 on the other) but it works for when I wear all three.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 7:59:14 PM
Mela, I really like the three-stone-but-not-really idea. It sounds really interesting and pretty. Your push present is gorgeous! Do

Thanks Kitty! I have yet to start a thread yet, as I feel guilty even ''owning'' it before I push the baby out! haha
16.gif

I will though...

Also, how thin can a small-solitaire shank be (let''s say, 14k white gold) before it becomes structurally un-sound? anyone?
I feel like 1.5mm would be the thinnest, but would love to hear thinner!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 3:44:58 PM
Freke, thanks for sharing and for the tip on checking out Colored Stones. I don''t usually venture over there much, but it looks like there have been so many cute stacking gemstone rings lately!

Kelli, your stacking combo sounds gorgeous. Do you have any pics?
Thanks kitty bean. I don''t have any, but maybe I could take some soon.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have several stacks and all of them have solitaires in them.

My oldest is a tiny 0.25ct diamond on a thick white gold band, paired with a carved hematite band. I like the black/metal contrast with a sort of art deco vibe.

I also wear a stack with a round lavander iolite bezel, a free form pink tourmaline, a plain band as a spacer and a small pearl. All under 0.3cts on 1.5 mm bands.

My last stack (this one changes a lot, as I have several rings that look good for this) is a fused fine silver band, a 0.3ct OMC diamond solitaire in a very traditional setting (a bit too high for my taste) and either a twisted or a braided band to top it off.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 9:46:37 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain

My oldest is a tiny 0.25ct diamond on a thick white gold band, paired with a carved hematite band. I like the black/metal contrast with a sort of art deco vibe.

I also wear a stack with a round lavander iolite bezel, a free form pink tourmaline, a plain band as a spacer and a small pearl. All under 0.3cts on 1.5 mm bands.

My last stack (this one changes a lot, as I have several rings that look good for this) is a fused fine silver band, a 0.3ct OMC diamond solitaire in a very traditional setting (a bit too high for my taste) and either a twisted or a braided band to top it off.

PICS! PICS! PICS!
27.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:08:54 PM

I''ve seen these - I think with coordinating colored stones, its a really fun look
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 3:58:24 PM

I''m due in 5 weeks and not supposed to wear my baby ring yet. I ''illegally'' wore my OMC push-present today, and as I was driving into work, I stacked it beside my solitaire to see the colour difference. (G vs N/O)

3.gif

mela - this looks really pretty! And what a fun baby gift
9.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your stackers! They are rockin'.

Mela: I don't have kids and we're not planning to have any (though lord knows how many people have them unplanned!), but if I ever have one, I want you to school me on how to get DH to get me a push pressie like yours. Or better yet, can you just coach me on getting him to get me one for no special reason? You obviously have magical powers that should be shared.
3.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Hey Mela Lu..been meaning to send you a message on FB..did you get the ring back yet (Marlene Harris)? Is that the one you''re wearing? Hard to tell from the pics. Push present? You''re holding out on me. You''re bad..you shouldn''t have one of those yet..still weeks to go! lol. My push present was the healthy baby boy!!
28.gif

Hope you''ve been feeling good, you must be getting anxious!!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 10:41:58 PM

Date: 4/16/2009 9:46:37 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain

PICS! PICS! PICS!
27.gif
DITTO! Your stacks sound amazing. I would love to see them!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
BUSTED! I to own my ''push pressie'' even though I haven''t pushed yet! haha.

I don''t wear it yet...if that''s any consolation.

April - the running joke at my company is that I must do "something" well
27.gif
to be so well "iced". haha. I play along...and tell them that ''I know how to get what I want''. haha.

In reality. DH loves jewelry and watches etc. He''s into spoiling me
2.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 1:09:49 PM
BUSTED! I to own my ''push pressie'' even though I haven''t pushed yet! haha.

I don''t wear it yet...if that''s any consolation.

April - the running joke at my company is that I must do ''something'' well
27.gif
to be so well ''iced''. haha. I play along...and tell them that ''I know how to get what I want''. haha.

In reality. DH loves jewelry and watches etc. He''s into spoiling me
2.gif
HA! That''s funny Mela Lu..my man always tell his and my friends that he SHOULD be getting a little more "something", after all the diamonds he''s put on my fingers!
In reality, he''s just a great guy (like yours) who loves spoiling me! Enjoy it!! It''s great that our hubby''s know what great gals they''ve got, and appreciate us, and if they want to shower us in diamonds..then by all means, why stop them?? lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results