shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you ever feel uncomfortable wearing your bling?

Do you ever feel uncomfortable wearing your bling?

• Yes

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 25 36.2%

• Total voters

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have a solitaire at .82 and the old mine cushion at 1.04 with another .75 in the band and halo - and I wear the smaller ring most days - unless I am coordinating metals or have a bling day. I think I'm a solitaire girl at heart.

And I want to sincerely thank every woman who is living my 2+ ct dream. I realise I'll never make it there myself (unless a MMD or 2+ ct moissanite someday), but your fingers full of diamonds really thrill me! Thanks for all of the picture sharing.

20190930_172819.jpg 20200619_110028.jpg

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the camp of "wear the bling and enjoy", but I don't wear it for volunteer work (hands on, soup kitchen style pre Covid), so I voted " Sometimes".

I Echo the many other posters that very few people outside PS pay attention to other people's bling - and even fewer have the slightest clue about value etc.

My ACC is 3.71 cts, but M coloured and square and bezeled. It's actually pretty low key and I doubt many notice or know it's a diamond.

I've had the most comments on my 0.33 each eternity ring and another eternity with ECs and mrb melée.

They throw off the small sparkles diamond muggles associate with diamonds and thus attract more attention.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I have a solitaire at .82 and the old mine cushion at 1.04 with another .75 in the band and halo - and I wear the smaller ring most days - unless I am coordinating metals or have a bling day. I think I'm a solitaire girl at heart.

And I want to sincerely thank every woman who is living my 2+ ct dream. I realise I'll never make it there myself (unless a MMD or 2+ ct moissanite someday), but your fingers full of diamonds really thrill me! Thanks for all of the picture sharing.

Your rings are beautiful. I saw your yellow gold set in a thread with a lovely matching pendant. Just gorgeous!

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in the camp of "wear the bling and enjoy", but I don't wear it for volunteer work (hands on, soup kitchen style pre Covid), so I voted " Sometimes".

I Echo the many other posters that very few people outside PS pay attention to other people's bling - and even fewer have the slightest clue about value etc.

My ACC is 3.71 cts, but M coloured and square and bezeled. It's actually pretty low key and I doubt many notice or know it's a diamond.

I've had the most comments on my 0.33 each eternity ring and another eternity with ECs and mrb melée.

They throw off the small sparkles diamond muggles associate with diamonds and thus attract more attention.

Do you have pics of your ACC in another thread? I would love to see her! And your eternity bands.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

those are both pretty rings but i really love the solitaire. classic!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Sometimes.. if I'm alone outside at night then I can feel more conscious of the fact I'm wearing jewellery.
At other times I might too. Usually it's a projection of my guilt over enjoying materialistic things.

collier

Shiny_Rock
In response to the OP, yes I do sometimes. I stopped wearing my watch to work after someone commented on it.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@moneymeister, you have the best of both worlds...an elegant solitaire and a blingy halo! You also have variety with the different colored metals and stone shape. Two great options and both look beautiful on you.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't wear the expensive-looking stuff where it stands out from the norm too much. I don't want to set myself up to be robbed or overcharged, or to make someone who doesn't have much feel bad.

When I was young, I was embarrassed that people might think my 1/2 carat CZ engagement ring was real and judge me as being too spoiled. Now that seems funny to me but it wasn't at the time.

When I'm worried about it, I just wear my plain gold wedding band, and earrings that don't look like diamonds.

Also, I don't wear fake jewelry that looks expensive when I travel, etc. I don't understand why people do this because a big fake piece that looks expensive will get you the same negative effects as if it was real.

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@moneymeister, you have the best of both worlds...an elegant solitaire and a blingy halo! You also have variety with the different colored metals and stone shape. Two great options and both look beautiful on you.

Thank you, that was very kind.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can wear bling that isn't bling. If it's not "ice," most people will have no idea that it's even potentially valuable. And if your colored stone is not flanked by big diamonds, almost no one will think it's bling. I think that's why most colored stones are flanked by big diamonds -- to telegraph to the uninitiated that the "star" is even more valuable.

You can fly under the radar with simple colored-stone jewelry -- hardly stands out any more than gelled nails. The old stuff had very few diamonds.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I love both of these sets!

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Do you ever feel uncomfortable wearing your bling? For safety or image reasons?

I often feel uncomfortable wearing mine due to both safety and image, depending on the situation, where I am, and who I'm with. I go between situations where I'm totally comfortable wearing it, to the exact opposite.
It depends on the social context. If I was visiting someone who I knew was doing it tough then I wouldn’t wear my more expensive looking jewelry. Especially not multiple pieces. If I care enough about them to want to visit them, I don’t want them to feel ‘less than’ or that I am a snob. Status anxiety is a real thing. Having said that, pre-pandemic I would happily wear my jewelry around my local area because I am fortunate enough to live in an affluent area but now I just feel that I don’t want to slather hand sanitizer on my rings and earrings can get caught when removing or putting on my mask. In the scheme of things it really is ‘first world problems’

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Pictures of bling for Missy - I don’t know how you guys get multiple rings on one hand to look so good - that’s a skill I need to work on
CFEC722B-FF5C-44CE-AAB9-ED11EE14C3F4.jpeg C496427C-BE3D-4FDA-8402-A33B07F28631.jpeg

Oh my..... your collection has left me quite breathless. They are all huge ... if I wore those they would look like oversized costume jewellery on me! You are so lucky to have such a collection of treasures.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pictures of bling for Missy - I don’t know how you guys get multiple rings on one hand to look so good - that’s a skill I need to work on
CFEC722B-FF5C-44CE-AAB9-ED11EE14C3F4.jpeg C496427C-BE3D-4FDA-8402-A33B07F28631.jpeg

I’m just seeing this. SWOON!❤️❤️❤️

littlewhitedog

Rough_Rock
I don't believe in owning anything I would not feel comfortable wearing. That being said, for practical purposes there are some of my pieces that are for "dressing up" occasions. I do take my rings off when doing household chores or gardening. And like many others find the frequent hand washing with the Covid 19 pandemic I am wearing my rings less as I don't like the feel of soap, hand sanitizer, etc under my rings and I am uncomfortable taking them off when outside of my home. My rings are 2 diamond bands which I find draws less attention than one larger stone and I like the way they complement my small hands. My larger stones in earrings draw less attention and in fact some people just assume they aren't real. I only take a limited number of my "good" pieces when I travel and tend to wear them all the time while away.

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
This might be old-fashioned, but I basically follow the "no diamonds before 6:00 p.m." rule (except I don't wear diamonds). I don't generally wear more that one piece with faceted stones during the day (usually a pair of small stud earrings or a ring), mainly because I don't see it as appropriate to wear lots of sparkly jewelry at the office (regardless of whether the sparkly jewelry is "real" or "fake"). It can be distracting when we work with clients and looks too dressed up for our office environment. Most of my colleagues are the same way--aside from their engagement rings or maybe studs, they wear plain metal jewelry, if any--so I also don't want to stand out needlessly.

Because of it, it can feel odd to wear faceted stones during the day, even outside the office. Strikes me as a touch inappropriate, even if it isn't.

Aside from that, I don't have much jewelry, and most of it is simple and small, so I don't think much when wearing it out.

Right now, what makes me uncomfortable is that there is a ring I'd like to get made, but doing so feels outrageous during the current situation, with so many people being laid off (though I am sure the jeweler would be happy for the work).

Last edited:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nope. I wear what I love and feel like wearing.

Girls don’t wear bling like me around here, the norm is a a small engagement ring with a .2-.3 with or without pave and a wedding band that is often a half eternity, again smaller carat weight. Besides that most wear a small soli pendant and studs if that.

I do wear good sizes 3 stones, my antique 5 stone. CS 3 stones with diamonds and my green diamond jewelry but people know this is what I do so it is sort of expected. I do not take public transport anymore and strangers would probably think it’s fake.

My antique cluster rings and larger FCD more for special occassions. I do not care what others think but they don’t think negatively. When I was taking public transport I used to wear smaller stuff or I could turn rings around.

I adore my jewelry so why not? That said I do not have to wear a fave often. I can just marvel at them at home too. I do not wear them at home though unless to try them on, take photos and clean jewelry right away when I come home.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results