shape
carat
color
clarity

do you ever feel selfconscious about the books you are reading?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2009 11:06:33 PM
Author: junebug17
Yes!!! I like true crime books, (love Ann Rule) and my family thinks it's morbid and creepy...but I find the crime-solving process fascinating...I'm trying to expand my horizons and read some classics here and there. I really should read books with more substance.
Me too! I always think the librarians wonder why a young woman is checking out true crime books. Also embarrassing to check out non-fiction books on things like "How to Have a Baby" lol.

I don't care if anyone sees me reading a romance novel. So what?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite bookstore has stacks of The History of Farting next to all the registers. I asked the employees if anyone ever buys that book and they said it''s their best seller, but everyone always says "It''s for a friend!" Ha!

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
that''s an interesting question...

i don''t really get conscious about the books that i read

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
sometimes... my current books are ''The God Delusion,'' ''The God part of the Brain'' and ''Marriage without Children: By chance or by choice." Um, let''s just say that they raise eyebrows... I went to self check out at the library...
28.gif
2.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rarely.

Although I recently started checking out the pregnancy books which made me a little self conscious since I realize I look like a teenager, lol. It also makes me self conscious in that I wouldn''t want a classmate or professor to see it and assume I was pregnant (and the rumor mill is rampant in med school, it''s like high school all over again!).

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 11:13:45 PM
Author: kama_s
Date: 7/30/2009 4:17:20 PM

Author: Haven

Only when I''m reading Ayn Rand around other English teachers.
3.gif

I LOVE Ayn Rand! So rare to find another Rand lover these days!

So, who is John Galt anyways?
2.gif

Who is John Galt? Rand lover here..

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Yep. I hang with a lot of intellectuals and work with the creme de la creme of NYC high culture snobbery, but my guilty pleasure is chick lit:) My boss and colleagues think I''m crazy, but since I can still hold a reasonably intelligent conversation they don''t make such a big deal of it. Sometimes I think I should read more mentally challenging stuff, but I don''t have the energy most of the time and chick lit is so darn fun:)

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
In general, I don''t give it a thought. I read a lot of different types of books and figure it all evens out.
2.gif

I get a little self conscious on the Metro, though, in 3 types of situation:

1) For the past few years, I served on a committee at work that created a list of great children''s books. That meant reading a lot of kiddie books! It was great fun, but I did sometimes want to explain to no one in particular that I was reading this book for work, not because I can''t handle adult books.

2) I don''t read books with a lot of sex in them, but every now and then I''ll be reading a book with a steamy scene, and then I try to hold the book so that no one can read over my shoulder. I''m easily embarrassed!

3) I do read a lot of history, especially of the South. It''s not uncommon that a book might have a quote that includes offensive language (one certain word in particular). Again, in cases like that I try to hold the book so that no one can see. I don''t want to offend someone who happens to see the word.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Yes, sometimes I do. I tend to read a lot of "classics" and I feel self-conscious if I get a chick-lit book on impulse. Or if I''m reading something I don''t really like, I feel strange about it ... like I wouldn''t want people to assume I actually liked it
3.gif
Haha. I tend to be self-conscious in general though, so it''s not surprising that I would feel this way.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I read at my desk during lunch at work. Everyday. People are always stopping by to ask what I''m reading. Two weeks ago I was reading Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex. When I was reading it, I just said "Oh, just a book on science and human relationships." I work with some uptight older women. Now I have a Kindle, so I don''t have to worry about it so much. Now I just get constantly interrupted with people stopping by to say "oooh, what''s that thing? Are you reading a book on that?!?"

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Travel Goddess-So Funny
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results