shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you ever feel embarrassed by your jewelry?

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Maybe not embarrassed but my profession would kind of look down on it as frivolous and a sign I wasnt serious as I had spent time on something so vacuous. So I deliberately dont mention it in real life at all. Lol come to think of it, its 98% male dominated as a profession anyway....

My family doesnt get it either, they're all similar to the other people in my profession. So I just kind of accept that its a topic not to talk about.

This! I work in a place where the senior management team is male dominant. One time, one of the partners complimented my ring, and it was quite uncomfortable. The women I work with wear mostly modest piece. They are all very pretty pieces (of course, I notice everyone's jewelry), but they are not extravagant. I really don't have many places where I can bling out. I rotate my pieces, so they get to be worn but only when I run errands like going to costco or taking kids around, really.... :lol:. But these days it is unsafe to be around anywhere, so I don't even do that as much. Only one of my BFFs is into jewelry, so I love to put on some of my good stuff when we go hang out, and sometimes we exchange to wear for the day. That's the only time I don't feel uncomfortable wearing my big pieces. Even so, she doesn't know what other pieces I have, as I do afraid of being judged.

Also definitely not in front of my family as well, especially my MIL and SILs.... they will never know what I have and if they do, they will think I am making my husband to buy me jewelry, while I myself make decent income and I buy my stuff with whatever annual bonus that I am able to get.

No IG either for the same reason similar to others here.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Can i go hiking with you ?
You can wear as much bling as you like so long as i can watch it sparkle in the sun

I recently had a hiking buddy ask
me how many carats I was wearing on our hike, and I got so flustered. It is much easier to hide jewelry under winter layers, but it was hot on our hike...I also didn’t have time to yank off my rings before leaving the house because I was running late and my fingers are fatter when I wake up and requires lots of time and soap to remove. So on that particular hike, maybe 6.2 carats? I kept trying to change the subject before more people in our group overheard!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This! I work in a place where the senior management team is male dominant. One time, one of the partners complimented my ring, and it was quite uncomfortable. The women I work with wear mostly modest piece. They are all very pretty pieces (of course, I notice everyone's jewelry), but they are not extravagant. I really don't have many places where I can bling out. I rotate my pieces, so they get to be worn but only when I run errands like going to costco or taking kids around, really.... :lol:. But these days it is unsafe to be around anywhere, so I don't even do that as much. Only one of my BFFs is into jewelry, so I love to put on some of my good stuff when we go hang out, and sometimes we exchange to wear for the day. That's the only time I don't feel uncomfortable wearing my big pieces. Even so, she doesn't know what other pieces I have, as I do afraid of being judged.

Also definitely not in front of my family as well, especially my MIL and SILs.... they will never know what I have and if they do, they will think I am making my husband to buy me jewelry, while I myself make decent income and I buy my stuff with whatever annual bonus that I am able to get.

No IG either for the same reason similar to others here.

You need to start a thread and wear your jewlery for us =)2

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I’ve stopped wearing much jewellery apart from the basics, partly due to COVID and partly because no one round here wears much themselves. I kind of wish I’d just saved the money up and bought stellar examples of those basics!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I do in front of my lady friends unless she have a bigger diamond than I do, then I'll just keep my hand in the pocket... :lol:

1617778743367.png

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recently had a hiking buddy ask
me how many carats I was wearing on our hike, and I got so flustered. It is much easier to hide jewelry under winter layers, but it was hot on our hike...I also didn’t have time to yank off my rings before leaving the house because I was running late and my fingers are fatter when I wake up and requires lots of time and soap to remove. So on that particular hike, maybe 6.2 carats? I kept trying to change the subject before more people in our group overheard!

Well i would never ask anyone if something was real or how many carrots but i might get distracted and fall off the edge of the trail

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why should I feel embarrassed?
Doesn't everyone have a 24K solid gold toilet?

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
I don't feel embarrassed but then none of my jewellery is big or eye catching. I have 2 diamond rings that I wear daily, but the settings are low key and the diamonds themselves, whilst beautiful (.88ct avc and 1ctw aca's) are small by PS standards. I do wear some bracelets/bangles but again, nothing super sparkly or extravagant. I think my jewellery matches my style which has always been casual and low key, and I don't own anything that would make me feel self conscious.
@Daisys and Diamonds my most favourite bangle is a little 9ct yellow gold number that I bought from a mall style jewellery shop, I love that bangle! Don't ever feel that you can't share what you have. I think most people here are supportive and inclusive of all jewellery, not just the high end stuff! =)2

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Not in real life, no. On PS, sometimes? It's self imposed as no one has ever been anything but lovely and complimentary on my very modest bling. Sometimes it's hard seeing the bling, I'll admit, but looking is my choice. No one forces me.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't feel embarrassed but then none of my jewellery is big or eye catching. I have 2 diamond rings that I wear daily, but the settings are low key and the diamonds themselves, whilst beautiful (.88ct avc and 1ctw aca's) are small by PS standards. I do wear some bracelets/bangles but again, nothing super sparkly or extravagant. I think my jewellery matches my style which has always been casual and low key, and I don't own anything that would make me feel self conscious.

This is me too.

My life is pretty casual, jeans either dressed up or down mostly & I just 'wear' my jewellery without any thought, mostly because I wear it 24/7, to dinner with friends or in wellies in the fields. My engagement & eternity rings are fairly blingy compared to my family, but they have never had anything other than lovely compliments. I would never wear anything I was uncomfortable with, because I don't actually OWN anything that would make me feel like that.

I like to think that whilst my pieces are not particularly flashy, they are very well thought out & are of exceptional quality. My family will always come to me for advice if they are looking to buy something & I have been involved in the purchase of 3 engagement rings over the years, one of which was for my youngest sister. My family tease me for my knowledge, like they teased me when I had my Amethyst shipped to Daniel M in the US because I felt only he could make her new dress, but they will always pick up the phone or send me links to things for me to cast an eye over before they buy it & oh how my sisters love that amethyst ring!

Take my avatar picture. Those bracelets are my most worn & are often commented on how delicate, pretty or twinkly they are, which is cool because they are very eye catching, only in a super subtle sort of way. I don't go on however, to say that 2 are from Tiffany & the other is certified unheated Burmese rubies. Nobody needs to know that :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Create a separate acct just for bling! You too @MamaBee! Easier to share videos that way!

This is a great idea. For those PSers I know on IG, I may send a new friend request from a jewelry-loving account. My day job and my bling love does not look good together (nonprofit meet jewelry hoarder).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not in real life, no. On PS, sometimes? It's self imposed as no one has ever been anything but lovely and complimentary on my very modest bling. Sometimes it's hard seeing the bling, I'll admit, but looking is my choice. No one forces me.

Someone - i have no idea who now - described my grandma's ER as sweet
Sweet is a word i leave for my pudding plate but i know in America its kind of code for small
I think about my hardworking grandad saving his factory wages to buy that ring
And its so sparkly
When i wear it i imangine my grandma, almost 90 years ago going for a walk in her lunch break from the haberdashery counter with her work mates or perhaps her sisters and admiring the same sparkles and how excitting it must have been to finally be getting married. They waited till they were 30 due to the depression and i know my grandad worked really hard at his job so he could take care of his family

In real face to face life grandma's ring has had compliments from my freinds and my mother wore it for a time (when the altzimers kicked in and she forgot me and even Dad and stoped wearing her own ER as she still remembered her long dead parents and her brothers

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is me too.

My life is pretty casual, jeans either dressed up or down mostly & I just 'wear' my jewellery without any thought, mostly because I wear it 24/7, to dinner with friends or in wellies in the fields. My engagement & eternity rings are fairly blingy compared to my family, but they have never had anything other than lovely compliments. I would never wear anything I was uncomfortable with, because I don't actually OWN anything that would make me feel like that.

I like to think that whilst my pieces are not particularly flashy, they are very well thought out & are of exceptional quality. My family will always come to me for advice if they are looking to buy something & I have been involved in the purchase of 3 engagement rings over the years, one of which was for my youngest sister. My family tease me for my knowledge, like they teased me when I had my Amethyst shipped to Daniel M in the US because I felt only he could make her new dress, but they will always pick up the phone or send me links to things for me to cast an eye over before they buy it & oh how my sisters love that amethyst ring!

Take my avatar picture. Those bracelets are my most worn & are often commented on how delicate, pretty or twinkly they are, which is cool because they are very eye catching, only in a super subtle sort of way. I don't go on however, to say that 2 are from Tiffany & the other is certified unheated Burmese rubies. Nobody needs to know that :)

I love the idea of you trasping around in the fields in your gumboots all blinged out

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
IG = Instagram.

Ahhhh
Got it now - Thanks =)2

Ive never bothered with it
so i sometimes miss out on some of the pretty bling some of you talk about as the links won't work for me

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but I am sensitive to others so if I am going someplace I feel I shouldn't wear my blingy ring (and let's face it my ring is blingy in that setting) I leave it at home. For example if I am volunteering I don't need to wear my ring. No biggie.

But generally I wear it whenever I leave the house even to go hiking. I enjoy wearing it.
I'm not going to repost all my bling hiking pics because I have posted too many bling hiking selfies lol but suffice to say it would be a crime (IMO) not to wear them when they look so good hiking in the woods. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy! How do I do that?

I’m not great at explaining this. I’m on my iphone and at the top right of the thread is a little symbol rectangle with an arrow that I click and choices pop up. I hit the copy choice and then paste to share the link. Hope that makes sense. I don’t know the technical terms. :oops:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not in the general public. Jewelry among all income levels where I live is very modest. People just assume blingy items are mall store moissanites/lab gems and pearls are "beads."

I do feel embarrassed with some family members who know my items are real because maybe they judge my spending habits?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m not great at explaining this. I’m on my iphone and at the top right of the thread is a little symbol rectangle with an arrow that I click and choices pop up. I hit the copy choice and then paste to share the link. Hope that makes sense. I don’t know the technical terms. :oops:

Thanks Missy..I’ll try that!

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
My collection is itty bitty so I don't really have this problem. My biggest stones are my studs but with most people around here wearing CZs they just fly under the radar.

The thing is, I'm very mindful of my spending and take the time to save up for things that I want. Many people in my income group waste money every day then act shocked and suspicious when one owns nice pieces. Those drinks, dinners, and unused gym memberships add up! If someone gets judgey I have no problem pointing this out.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just had to say that yesterday I went for a very stressful medical test. I wore my ACA ring for the first time out in public since my upgrade...I got my first compliment from the nurse. It made me so happy when I was scared about getting the test done. Bling is medicinal for me..haha

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results