shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you ever feel embarrassed by your jewelry?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Do you ever feel embarrassed by your jewelry or jewelry enthusiasm? I find myself in this situation quite often. I feel talking about jewelry in real life seems immodest, unless the other person is a true enthusiast. And I often feel self conscious about wearing it too.

Last edited:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my hobby, because I know I don’t have the budget for Van Cleef or Graff. My pieces were selected with love, and exhaustive searches, and a crazy limited budget. They are pieces constructed from stones found at a gem show places into an antique setting, or an estate sale. I love sharing my weird little interest with anyone who asks.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I do..I’m very sensitive to having a bit more play money than some people I know..I feel I need to justify why I have a relatively large diamond..People make judgements too. I don’t want them to think I’m shallow or greedy. I buy my jewelry for me..not to impress other people. I always think about who I’m going to see and then I decide what jewelry to wear. I can’t help it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is part of the reason I got off IG. Originally I only had PS folk on there and then I made the mistake of adding my SIL (DH’s sister). It was a mistake because once I knew she was watching I felt like she judged my posts. I started to avoid sharing because I was embarrassed that she (and maybe other people) felt I spent too much money on jewelry.

Of course the reality is that I buy almost all secondhand and at pawn shops and constantly buy and sell to trade up. You wouldn’t know that though from IG, it looked like I had a mountain of jewelry!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is part of the reason I got off IG. Originally I only had PS folk on there and then I made the mistake of adding my SIL (DH’s sister). It was a mistake because once I knew she was watching I felt like she judged my posts. I started to avoid sharing because I was embarrassed that she (and maybe other people) felt I spent too much money on jewelry.

Of course the reality is that I buy almost all secondhand and at pawn shops and constantly buy and sell to trade up. You wouldn’t know that though from IG, it looked like I had a mountain of jewelry!
I’m the same @YadaYadaYada I have someone on there now that I would like to take off but I can’t. Now I don’t post anything on IG anymore...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m the same @YadaYadaYada I have someone on there now that I would like to take off but I can’t. Now I don’t post anything on IG anymore...

Isn’t it so uncomfortable? I just didn’t see the point of being on IG anymore as a result. We still have PS though ;-)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn’t it so uncomfortable? I just didn’t see the point of being on IG anymore as a result. We still have PS though ;-)

Soooo uncomfortable! This is really the only place I can talk about it and not feel judged. We’re all bling crazy..haha

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe not embarrassed but my profession would kind of look down on it as frivolous and a sign I wasnt serious as I had spent time on something so vacuous. So I deliberately dont mention it in real life at all. Lol come to think of it, its 98% male dominated as a profession anyway....

My family doesnt get it either, they're all similar to the other people in my profession. So I just kind of accept that its a topic not to talk about.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes but for a different reason
and i love PS and everyone is encouraging and super kind and respectful towards feeling most of the time
But i have mall jewlery
I had disposable income pre PS to spend on jewlery and i didn't really know just how baddly i was buying (i knew some what)

Sometimes i wait till a thread has almost run its cause before i show mine - i mean i do love some of my pieces and i still need to show them to someone

I am really enjoying the pearl threads right now because pearls are all over the $$$ spectrum but my diamonds are tiny by PS standards, inherited depression era ERs and my coloured stones come from the mall jewlers
And I also like silver jewlery which some don't consider fine jewlery

As far as wearing them in day to day face to face life if its safe for the rings i wear them and i wear them for me alone
I know my mum's jewlery is as good as anyone else's in our social circle and i would never be embarrassed wearing my family rings because they all came from love but if we were all having lunch one happy day in the future i would know the stuff i bought myself came from the mall and yours didn't

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I actually remove some jewelry to go out with my friends, who are mostly coworkers, church friends or hiking buddies (none of them are into bling) except one coworker. I am embarrassed because of how I spend my disposable income...I don't want them to judge me for my bling.

Not even my 2 BFFs who I met at my first post job out of college know about my obsession with diamonds....I hide it well. Unfortunately I also like nice cars. That one is harder to hide!

Last edited:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
and i love PS and everyone is encouraging and super kind and respectful towards feeling most of the time
But i have mall jewlery
I had disposable income pre PS to spend on jewlery and i didn't really know just how baddly i was buying (i knew some what)

Sometimes i wait till a thread has almost run its cause before i show mine - i mean i do love some of my pieces and i still need to show them to someone

I am really enjoying the pearl threads right now because pearls are all over the $$$ spectrum but my diamonds are tiny by PS standards, inherited depression era ERs and my coloured stones come from the mall jewlers

As far as wearing them in day to day face to face life if its safe for the rings i wear them and i wear them for me alone
I know my mum's jewlery is as good as anyone else's in our social circle and i would never be embarrassed wearing my family rings because they all came from love but if we were all having lunch one happy day in the future i would know the stuff i bought myself came from the mall and yours didn't

Don't feel bad about buying mall jewelry. As long as you thought the pieces were pretty and you enjoy them, that's all that matters.

Heck, I have some expensive pieces (for me anyway), but I also have pieces from jewelry stores, and even JTV. I actually just purchased a lab diamond from there and it's really pretty.

Whatever makes you happy is all that matters.

Last edited:

teddycake

Rough_Rock
Yes, I do, because I happen to love rings, and especially the engagement style rings, especially rings with diamonds, which is quite unusual I think, outside of this forum maybe. Because e-rings are tied to love/marriage/husband/fiance/romance/wedding/proposal, it feels odd to be a married woman who continues to love all these styles of e-rings.

It also feels weird to contact vendors for ring projects as a woman, when these rings are engagement style rings.

It wouldn't be so weird if I just loved jewelry in general, but I particularly love rings! I guess it's because I can always see them and admire them on my hands.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I also like nice cars. That one is harder to hide!

Haha! Same!! Can’t hide the cars!! We are two people with four cars!! Eek!

Not usually embarrassed about my bling, but there have been moments I have found myself trying to direct a conversation away from my what’s on my hand!! :/

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Create a separate acct just for bling! You too @MamaBee! Easier to share videos that way!

thecatmom

Rough_Rock
I come from a blue blooded family (father's side) with a lot of rules and regulations that the family members are required to follow, one of which is all adult members need to wear certain pieces of jewelry on them at all times. So I am judged by my family if I don't deck up! I keep having to remind myself to put on earrings, necklace, bracelets and rings before going online for family video chats, especially now that we are all stuck at home and I rarely wear earrings and necklace at home! Also, everyone in my family loves jewelry and talking about it. So I don't feel embarrassed about my love for jewelry. But I do feel embarrassed when my at-times-minimalist approach is not well received :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
But i have mall jewlery

@Daisys and Diamonds I think you would be surprised how many people here buy preloved jewelry from eBay, Etsy, and Amazon. Who knows if the eBay ones came from a mall....I saw some of your rings.I think you have really nice taste. Your mom’s and family rings are special and I would be proud to show them here.
BTW I LOVE silver jewelry. There’s a thread on silver jewelry..I’ll have to find it tomorrow.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
But i have mall jewlery

I have mall pieces too! Nothing to be embarrassed about!!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, sometimes I get embarrassed if someone makes a big deal about a piece. It's strange though, because I appreciate the compliments.

I also tend to pick pieces based on the company I'm keeping. I definitely scale down what I'm wearing when I'm with my in-laws.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would but everyone that I want to show my jewelry to are here. ❤️

Of course I shouldn’t advise this separate acct thing bc I have a bling IG just for stuff I sell but I did post one or two pieces of my own. Well just today a friend busted me! They sent me a screenshot shot and said “This is YOU?!” Bc I guess IG suggests “people you know” etc and somehow it showed up as that in her acct. :lol-2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Erm, yes like it’s embarrassing how much/frequently I buy and then I vacillate between posting my latest purchase on PS or not.

Definitely not in front of my family and friends as well... no one in the family (except husband and kids) knows how much I have. I typically don’t wear much bling in front of family or friends.
Also don’t dare to post on IG cos of that.

My colleagues have been super supportive though, and honestly it was the place I wore most of my bling pre-covid so they get to see most of my stuff.

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
Erm, yes like it’s embarrassing how much/frequently I buy and then I vacillate between posting my latest purchase on PS or not.

Definitely not in front of my family and friends as well... no one in the family (except husband and kids) knows how much I have. I typically don’t wear much bling in front of family or friends.

My colleagues have been super supportive though, and honestly it was the place I wore most of my bling pre-covid so they get to see most of my stuff.

Icy we love your collection, don't hold out!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all embarrassed. I live in an area where nice jewelry is common. I am respectful of who I am going to see so that I don’t make them feel bad. During the mid 00 recession many people lost jobs so I didn’t wear a lot of my stuff. Not because I was embarrassed but because I didn’t lose my job or my house and I didn’t want to make them feel bad. We also have work days where we take care of homeless people. Not a good day to doll up. No one wants to feel like a charity case.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I actually remove some jewelry to go out with my friends, who are mostly coworkers, church friends or hiking buddies (none of them are into bling) except one coworker. I am embarrassed because of how I spend my disposable income...I don't want them to judge me for my bling.

Not even my 2 BFFs who I met at my first post job out of college know about my obsession with diamonds....I hide it well. Unfortunately I also like nice cars. That one is harder to hide!

Can i go hiking with you ?
You can wear as much bling as you like so long as i can watch it sparkle in the sun

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

What is this IG you all talk of ?
I wish i were one of your co-workers ....but im not sure how much work id get done - id be wanting to see your bling too much !
I enjoying seeing your acquisitions very much

Yes I am sometimes embarrassed because I have some nice pieces, and I’m young enough that it stands out. So I feel the need to be careful when I meet some of my friends (who don’t have but would want) for example, to not wear anything very showy. Of course around some friends I feel free to wear what I like, either because we are all evenly blinged or because they don’t care. I also feel embarrassed when someone gushes over my jewelry. I’ve told this story on here of meeting an acquaintance when I was wearing this multi-coloured stone bracelet (not expensive just chunky) and she went on and on about “is it real?? Oh no it can’t be it would be sooooo expensive if it was real! I totally understand no need to say anything” and it’s like... well it is real but now I can’t say that, but also, I’m wearing studs... that are way more expensive than this bracelet :/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results