shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you ever convert costume pieces to real pieces?

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I've been considering trying out some sterling or gold fill and stone-that-shall-not-be-named pieces before spending real money on the real thing, to make sure I really love and will wear them often. And I have a few costume pieces that I wear all the time that are sterling that I'm considering buying in platinum or rose gold.

Do you ever do a cheapie try out? Or convert costume to heirloom pieces? Pros/cons? I don't want to waste money on pieces with no value, but I'd also hate to get something expensive and then never wear it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried a by the yard necklace and "Cartier" rolling ring on the cheap and decided I didn't like either one on me. Glad I didn't buy the real deal.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mix costume (especially earrings) with fine jewellery all the time, and am considering to have a couple of pairs of earrings made in 14K White Gold and diamonds some time in the future.

DK :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've kinda done it.

I mean, not consciously as a 'try then buy', but I've bought higher end costume pieces (usually Nadri) that fill in gaps of things I don't have in my 'real' collection. And then once I see how often I wear them I decide if I want to convert (most of the time not).

I have diamond studs. But not solitaire studs. So I bought a costume pair at 6 mm. And as a result I realized I don't really need a solitaire pair until I can afford my 'dream' pair: 7mm AVC I/J's. Anything else would be a waste, because the pair of studs I already have are enough.

Now that you mention it though. I think I may get a 7mm OEC costume pair to see if I even want those!! Fabulous idea. I am pretty sure Joe E can order me a pair of CZ's cheap.

The one piece I really wanted to buy after having a costume version was a diamond bangle. That's still on my list. I wore that all the time till I lost it.

I have also bought second hand 'not PS quality' versions of items I liked, they were great deals on ebay that I flipped after wearing for 6-12 months. That's actually very helpful as well. That's how I know I really want and will wear the band I am hoping I can buy next. Because I had two that were similar and wore them all the time. So I know that getting the PS quality versions will be a good purchase for me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a piece thinking that is exactly what I was going to do. 18K yellow gold earrings from JbEG with 8mm Asha OEC stones. The settings are 18K gold and gorgeous but I cannot wear the earrings because it is a mind clean thing for me. I was planning on resetting with colored gemstones but never got around to it. Yet, but one day I will. But right now it goes unworn. Sad about that but I eventually I will reset and wear because the settings are too pretty not to enjoy.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1468222016|4054230 said:
I've kinda done it.

I mean, not consciously as a 'try then buy', but I've bought higher end costume pieces (usually Nadri) that fill in gaps of things I don't have in my 'real' collection. And then once I see how often I wear them I decide if I want to convert (most of the time not).

I have diamond studs. But not solitaire studs. So I bought a costume pair at 6 mm. And as a result I realized I don't really need a solitaire pair until I can afford my 'dream' pair: 7mm AVC I/J's. Anything else would be a waste, because the pair of studs I already have are enough.

Now that you mention it though. I think I may get a 7mm OEC costume pair to see if I even want those!! Fabulous idea. I am pretty sure Joe E can order me a pair of CZ's cheap.

The one piece I really wanted to buy after having a costume version was a diamond bangle. That's still on my list. I wore that all the time till I lost it.

I have also bought second hand 'not PS quality' versions of items I liked, they were great deals on ebay that I flipped after wearing for 6-12 months. That's actually very helpful as well. That's how I know I really want and will wear the band I am hoping I can buy next. Because I had two that were similar and wore them all the time. So I know that getting the PS quality versions will be a good purchase for me.

This had never occurred to me to try. Brilliant!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results