carat
color
clarity

Do you clean your navel?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should. . . YUCK!
In navels they are finding bacterial strains new to science. :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/scientists-find-a-rich-array-of-unknown-bacteria-in-human-navels/2011/07/01/gHQAJ476xH_story.html

Scientists find a rich array of unknown bacteria in human navels
By Peter Aldhous, Published: July 4

The human navel should be designated as a bacterial nature reserve, it seems. The first round of DNA results from the Belly Button Biodiversity project are in, and the 95 samples that have so far been analyzed have turned up more than 1,400 bacterial strains. In 662 cases, the microbes could not even be classified to a family, “which strongly suggests that they are new to science,” says team leader Jiri Hulcr of North Carolina State University in Raleigh.

The project was conceived as a lighthearted exercise in science communication, but it is making a serious contribution to the understanding of microbial diversity. Since April, samples of bacteria taken when volunteers swabbed their navels have had their “DNA barcodes” read by sequencing the gene for 16S ribosomal RNA, which is widely used in studies of bacterial evolutionary relationships.

The results reflect our ignorance of microbial diversity, Hulcr suggests: The inhabitants of our navels seem weird because biologists haven’t sampled extensively enough to document the full diversity of microbial life in a variety of habitats. He likens the reactions to the first round of belly button results to the astonishment of the first European explorers seeing African big game, which today seem commonplace. “Now you’re expecting rhino and elephants,” Hulcr says.

Also, identifying the species of bacteria is difficult. Noah Fierer’s team at the University of Colorado at Boulder classified them into “operational taxonomic units” having 16S ribosomal RNA gene sequences that differed by 3 percent or less. Apply this standard to mammals, Hulcr explains, and dogs and cats would be lumped together. It means that a “match” between a belly button strain and a species known from the deep ocean, for instance, may actually represent two microbes separated by several million years of divergent evolution.

Although the total number of strains recorded was large, the results so far indicate that a small group of about 40 species accounts for around 80 percent of the bacterial populations of our belly buttons. “It is tempting to think of the abundant species as the good, core biome of bacteria and the rare ones as transients, struggling to take hold, sometimes at our expense,” says Rob Dunn, author of “The Wild Life of Our Bodies” and head of the lab where Hulcr works.

Confirming that theory will require studies on a new scientific frontier: belly button ecology.

— Peter Aldhous

A longer version of this story appeared in New Scientist magazine and can be found at:
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/06/peter-aldhous-san-francisco-bu.html

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, not my own, but I do clean DH's. He gets little lint balls in there from his white cotton tees. :cheeky:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I do, very regularly, along with the jewelry that goes in it. Seems crazy to think there could be so much icky-ness in there.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, where on earth do you find these things??? LOL!

Yes. Regularly. Mine is pierced. If I didn't it miight get infected.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
The doctor did a good job on my belly button; I have a pretty deep innie, so yes, I have to clean it. SO's is always full of lint. Men and all their hair!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1310095498|2964401 said:
The doctor did a good job on my belly button; I have a pretty deep innie, so yes, I have to clean it.

So deep ones are better?
Why's that?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Outies can be painful; all that friction.
My first husband had a niece with such an outie it made your stomach hurt just looking at it. I wonder of she ever had to have plastic surgery on it.
And on another body-parts note.....my grandmother used to have a thing about making sure the area between my toes was completely dry before I could leave the bathroom when I was a kid. She was the same way with hers. What's up with that?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes,i clean mine with the jewel jet .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1310097007|2964417 said:
And on another body-parts note.....my grandmother used to have a thing about making sure the area between my toes was completely dry before I could leave the bathroom when I was a kid. She was the same way with hers. What's up with that?

I don't think that's so weird.
After a shower I dry my feet (and some other places) with a hair dryer.
My dad had really gross feet, with fungus and I never wanted to get that.

I also never go barefoot, even when showering at the gym or pool.
I don't want to be exposed athlete's foot fungus. :knockout:

So far so good; the skin on my feet is perfect.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1310097166|2964418 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny....priceless :naughty:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1310099132|2964432 said:
Dancing Fire|1310097166|2964418 said:

Hahahahaha! PS is funny tonight! :appl:

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1310098558|2964426 said:

A new thread:
Kenny's 101 uses for a hair dryer

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don't really pay special attention to cleaning mine, but it's not really that deep. It just kinda gets clean when I wash the area around it.

This is actually relevant to my life, believe it or not. I work in an OR, and most laparoscopic surgeries include an incision in the belly button. It's super-gross when someone who clearly hasn't washed in there in years shows up in the operating room!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1310103726|2964463 said:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
megumic|1310092782|2964369 said:
Haha, not my own, but I do clean DH's. He gets little lint balls in there from his white cotton tees. :cheeky:
Ditto!
"Belly Button Biodiversity Project"???? :cheeky:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, please! TMI!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I mean to, but I regularly forget. It usually takes an embarrassing experience to remind me to clean it. Earlier this summer as I was lying in the hammock, my husband told me with a look of horror on his face to look at my belly button. I had been slathering on self-tanner, and apparently it gunked up my belly button. It looked rather like a big brown raisin. It was horrible. And now my husband won't stop teasing me about belly button hygiene habits.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. Every day.

I also carefully dry my toes after every shower making sure to dry the rest of me first so that the towl does not touch anywhere else after having touched my feet. (good way to spread any fungus that may be present on the feet :knockout: )

soocool

Ideal_Rock
DH and DD always do and I can not stand to watch. YUCK!

They laughed and said I should clean mine and when I said mine does not collect lint or anything else for that matter they laughed and bet me there was. So to oblige I used a q-tip and it came out clean ( I am now $20 richer). Maybe there are some of us lucky enough to have a self cleaning belly button.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I have a very deep belly button and have always obsessed about cleaning it. Still, no matter what, I had always thought there was 'lint' I couldnt get out....UNTIL.....I got pregnant. At about month 7 my belly button popped out and---surprise---I have a birth mark there! I mentioned this to my mom and she said that I was born with it.

I still clean it every day though.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
This thing just keeps getting funnier and funnier.
I love it, soocool is making $$$ off her belly button. :D

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
LMFAO. This thread is gross, lol. I have a really deep belly button, and after giving birth I found the most disgusting stuff in there from the surgery. So. Gross. So now I am a tad obsessed with cleaning it out lol.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do it about once a week. A couple drops of baby oil, and a q-tip works wonders.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
yes. I'm cleaning mine right now. ;-)

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
My innie's not as deep as it used to be, as a result of 2 laparascopic surgeries, so I am able to clean it daily in the shower no problem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results