shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you buy used clothes?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I can't decide if its yucky or fine. I need an interview outfit by Tuesday but can't justify the cost of a brand new one for an interview with somebody who is one office door away. Our company is business casual on a day to day basis

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. Always have and have never had a problem.

NEVER NEVER underwear, bras, socks, shoes!!!

You can look for consignment shops too -- they tend to have nicer quality stuff that is better sorted.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, actually it's been over a decade since I've bought new clothing.
I DO bring them home in a plastic bag and wash them in hot water first.

I also insist on new shoes and underwear.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I've gotten tons of clothes from thriftstores and now ebay is a good place for suits if you're confident about the sizing. I just grew up with hand-me-downs and thrift store clothes so it never seemed icky to me. My school clothes budget was only $30 a year.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
While I've worn hand-me-downs before, I don't feel comfortable buying used clothes. It's something about not knowing who wore them before. I know they've been washed and I can wash them too, but still...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Yes. Recently I snagged 2 pairs of Eddie Bauer jeans for DH for $3 each. I've gotten stuff still with tags on several occasions. I love Goodwill and consignment shops.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yep! I adore vintage clothing: a lot of it is better made than contemporary clothing, and a lot of it is better suited for my body type, too. And, well ... once you're in the vintage store, even if you're there for the 1950s circle skirts, if you spot a Nanette Lepore dress for 20 bucks, it can be hard to resist ....

Dry cleaning solves everything, dude. Come to the dark side! We have designer goods.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
No, I don't. I would consider it but I am too lazy. I have been to Goodwill before (I don't even know anywhere else in my town to buy used clothing), and it seems like so much work to find anything I would be interested in. I get too impatient to sort through 1000 old/not my style tops to find only 2 I would wear, but even they don't work since they are the wrong size lol. Plus, it does kind of weird me out that they are used.

I would probably purchase something used like an interview suit since you said you would only wear it once. However, I would think a decent looking jacket and pants/skirt would be extremely hard to find used. But who knows :cheeky:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Always, except for undies and shoes. And socks/tights. You can find almost totally new clothes in Goodwills and stuff. Recently I have found:

-A Nordstrom's brand silk velvet blazer, in one of my favorite colors with beautiful embroidery, unworn, was probably several hundred new and I got it for $14 at Goodwill.

-A 1950s Schiaparelli mink collared curly lamb coat with heavy silk lining, my exact size for $99, sells on ebay (with the proper spelling!)for $1700. Perfect condition, essentially looks unworn. Found on eBay with the designer's name misspelled.

-About four or five nice blazers, around $5 each at Goodwill.

-A black lace skirt (I love them) unworn with it's tags still on with original price of $200, for $8 at Goodwill.

-A gorgeous ribbonwork cropped '40s mink collar jacket, perfect condition, $30. Ebay.

-A really pretty long black wool and some sort of fur collar winter coat, c.late '50s, for $30, eBay.

So yeah. Used clothes are awesome. Especially coats I would never buy new- those I particularly hunt eBay for, for vintage coats. They're gorgeous, and cheap as anything. And I haven't had a hard time finding my size (~16).

If you call it "vintage" rather than secondhand it sounds more appealing, huh? :tongue: I have no problem hitting up Goodwills and whatnot. You can always wash or dryclean stuff- it's not like it's icky usually. And you can definitely find new with tags stuff if you're picky, and patient.

There are ways to cut down on the sorting through stuff- often I stick my hand out and run it down a line of clothes- you can feel when you've hit some nice quality fabric vs. polyester. Or focus on a few colors you like and look only for those.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't get myself to do it. I donate clothes to Goodwill and the Salvation Army a couple times each year, but I don't feel comfortable buying clothes there or at vintage stores.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely! I go shopping to check out what I will buy from eBay next season. I buy underwear and shoes new - otherwise I'm okay with anything. Most of my daughter's clothes are secondhand as well - I have beautiful hand-smocked dresses and some vintage pieces that would cost me a fortune new (if I could even find them).

Most of my work suits are from eBay. It means I can buy high quality brands that I couldn't otherwise afford.

I also buy my evening dresses there too - in my last job I needed a lot of them, so I'd buy one from eBay, wear it and then sell it again sometimes for a profit.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
SB -- I'm sure you must already have something that would be appropriate to wear, right? I don't think I'd go out and spend the money if I didn't have to. Go shopping in your closet!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. I've got a lot of hand me downs for my kids from people I know and from Ebay. I had a friend who gained weight and gave me a bunch of her clothes and I've browsed Goodwill many a time. Granted it takes forever to find stuff...I love garage sales too. I don't think it's icky at all, tho the thought of buying someone's used underwear is a bit out of reach for me..but still, there are plenty of people that *have* to do it not b/c they want to save a few bucks, that's just all they can afford. I remember walking in on a friend crying in the bathroom at school b/c her family could only afford garage sales and some kids from school had seen her and her family over a weekend at their garage sale, buying their cast offs and she was so embarrassed. Made me feel bad.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I don't. The only "used" of sorts would be the refurbished shoes at Nord Rack.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I don't. My work wardrobe is dull. Black pants. Colorfull tops so I'm not too drab and dansko shoes because they are the only ones that fit my wide feet. The one nice jacket I had doesn't fit my chest anymore (new bc pill.....) The hunt begins tomorrow!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Obviously I wouldn't buy used undergarments, that's just gross. Nor would I buy used shoes. I don't even borrow shoes from friends. I even have my own bowling shoes because the thought of wearing someone else's seriously disgusts me. lol

My mom got a brand new coat for 25 cents!! It was just a Kohl's coat, but it still had tags and she got it at the consignment's clearance. You can get fantastic deals on outerwear.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yeah! Where we used to live there were some great used designer-clothing shops & I did buy stuff for work. Everything was in perfect shape & much much less expensive than new -- the shops required it still be in style too. Great way to get clothes I wouldn't have been able to buy otherwise. I worried a little that I'd run into whoever sold it to the store -- but she would be as unwilling to admit that as I would!

I don't think it's legal most places to sell used underwear (if, yuck, anyone dreamed of buying any) -- everywhere I've lived you can't even return it to a store.

--- Laurie

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IUgirl--there are several places to buy used clothing in the south central IN area. Plato's Closet, a few places in downtown Bloomington (those actually sell more upscale brands/designers), and a few vintage boutiques exist as well.

I would consider buying used clothing but I have issues with being tall and finding things that fit me even when they're new, so I haven't really ever bothered looking for used stuff.

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock
I never have. It's not that I'm skeeved out by the idea of wearing someone else's clothes, I'm just too lazy/impatient. Even places like TJ Maxx and Kohl's stress me out because it's too hard for me to find what I need.

I'm a huge sucker for nice displays and layouts, and marketing in general. It's kind of sad really.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I've never bought used clothes. I'm just not comfortable with it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, on used shoes: I think I would totally buy used shoes if they were like new and I could have them professionally cleaned inside and have the insoles replaced. Obviously it would have to be a great pair of shoes I'd been coveting and the benefit of buying them used (cost-wise) would have to outweigh the financial output of having them re-newed, but I think I would do it if it were the right pair for me. I think of used shoes this way--the "ick" factor is still there if you think about how many times RTW shoes are tried on (many times with bare feet) in stores (you're bound to have purchased a pair that many people have tried on at some point since stores often carry only one size run), and what about all those shoes that are bought and returned since many retailers have a return policy of "as long as they're in sell-able condition and only worn around the house"? Kind of a risk we all take, no? Especially when we buy shoes from discount retailers, or from the sale rooms at Nordie's and the like. I suppose I should take the time to clean those shoes I buy from Macy's sale racks! Wow, I have given mySELF too much information just now! :o

Edited for spelling.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
monarch64|1303431354|2902288 said:
IUgirl--there are several places to buy used clothing in the south central IN area. Plato's Closet, a few places in downtown Bloomington (those actually sell more upscale brands/designers), and a few vintage boutiques exist as well.

I would consider buying used clothing but I have issues with being tall and finding things that fit me even when they're new, so I haven't really ever bothered looking for used stuff.

I have actually bought a couple things from Plato's Closet when I lived closer to the Fishers/Castleton area. Now that I am an hour away from Indy, I haven't looked for one. I might be interested in the upscale store in Bloomington though!

BTW, I am tall too and have problems finding clothes.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iugurl|1303437885|2902342 said:
monarch64|1303431354|2902288 said:

I have actually bought a couple things from Plato's Closet when I lived closer to the Fishers/Castleton area. Now that I am an hour away from Indy, I haven't looked for one. I might be interested in the upscale store in Bloomington though!

BTW, I am tall too and have problems finding clothes.

I took some stuff to PC when I lived in Fishers (10 years ago--and coincidentally I worked in Castleton Square Mall), and they were SUPER picky! I think Bloomington is less picky, though...they'll take whatever the College Mall sells or so I hear. There is a PC by College Mall now, down by the Kroger on the east side. I haven't shopped there but have friends who like it. There is a brand new re-sale shop that just opened up in downtown Bloomington, I heard the advertisements on the radio a few weeks ago when they had their grand opening, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I do remember that the radio ad mentioned J. Crew, Citizens, and 7 jeans...I think I remember them saying that it was near the 4th and Dunn area (close to campus). Will have to research and get back to you!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I've never bought used clothes but I do donate an awful lot to Good Will every year.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just snagged 10 brand new shirts at the Salvation Army store last week for $3.50 each, im set for the summer.
From amazon they are $25 each for the same shirts.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl, I think it's great to buy recycled clothing! I am a big advocate of reduce, reuse, recycle. I think as long as the "ick" factor can be avoided (as far as things being "gently" ) we could all get behind it.
:appl:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Bunny007|1303432678|2902302 said:
I never have. It's not that I'm skeeved out by the idea of wearing someone else's clothes, I'm just too lazy/impatient. Even places like TJ Maxx and Kohl's stress me out because it's too hard for me to find what I need.

I'm a huge sucker for nice displays and layouts, and marketing in general. It's kind of sad really.
Ditto. Some people love the hunt of vintage; it makes me antsy and irritated. Just have what I want in my size, dammit! I'm also a really boring dresser generally, so aesthetically vintage isn't really my thing.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do. I love shopping on ebay and getting a good deal and I love consignment stores. I wouldn't buy used underwear and so far I haven't bought used shoes but if they were in good condition I would.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1303436774|2902333 said:
Also, on used shoes: I think I would totally buy used shoes if they were like new and I could have them professionally cleaned inside and have the insoles replaced. Obviously it would have to be a great pair of shoes I'd been coveting and the benefit of buying them used (cost-wise) would have to outweigh the financial output of having them re-newed, but I think I would do it if it were the right pair for me. I think of used shoes this way--the "ick" factor is still there if you think about how many times RTW shoes are tried on (many times with bare feet) in stores (you're bound to have purchased a pair that many people have tried on at some point since stores often carry only one size run), and what about all those shoes that are bought and returned since many retailers have a return policy of "as long as they're in sell-able condition and only worn around the house"? Kind of a risk we all take, no? Especially when we buy shoes from discount retailers, or from the sale rooms at Nordie's and the like. I suppose I should take the time to clean those shoes I buy from Macy's sale racks! Wow, I have given mySELF too much information just now! :o

Edited for spelling.

Used shoes don't bother me for some reason. Maybe it's because I always wear athletic socks with my shoes so it's like my feet are never really touching the other persons foot. I've checked ebay several times for used Danskos in my size but they always end up selling for just under the new price :???:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
As someone who had to wear her sister's hand me downs growing up, I vowed never to wear "used" clothing again and never have. Now if I went to a consignment store, etc where used clothing is sold and saw that the clothing had original tags still on it, I would consider it. But I never go to these kinds of stores.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results