shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you believe in bad jewellery juju?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think bad juju or good fortune etc can be carried through jewellery?

I think nothing of wearing second hand jewellery & I suspect many of the diamonds I own have had previous lives in previous settings. The thought of what they might have experienced is fascinating, but I don’t believe they can ‘project’ any bad vibes my way. I would think nothing about wearing a beautiful second hand engagement ring that had come from a messy divorce.

And yet in times of stress or anxiety, I will always reach for my grandmothers engagement ring, pop it on, touch it, spin it, have conversations with it, as if she can hear me, protect me & keep me safe. Weird, eh?!!

What are your thoughts?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but I can see how when people have really bad experiences with making jewelry, how that can taint the piece in their eyes.

But, no, I don’t believe in bad juju with jewelry. If anything, I feel like I am breathing new life into a piece. Giving it new juju and experiences, if you will...

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but I can see how when people have really bad experiences with making jewelry, how that can taint the piece in their eyes.

But, no, I don’t believe in bad juju with jewelry. If anything, I feel like I am breathing new life into a piece. Giving it new juju and experiences, if you will...

I like the idea of breathing new life into a piece that may have had a rough time previously :))

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't generally believe in bad jewelry juju. However there was one ring I got that seemed to bring me nothing but bad luck, it was an upgrade for an anniversary and it seemed our marriage was never worse than when I had that ring. It was a secondhand ring too, I was talking to DH about selling it and almost hit someone while driving (no the phone was not in my hand at the time).

After selling it things got better, perhaps by coincidence but I have never missed it despite having to take a $2500 hit to get rid of it.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I don’t believe an inanimate object can carry bad vibes. I know Bella came from a happy loving marriage, and I’d like think that her original owner had a long and happy marriage too.

Even if that wasn’t the case, it wouldn’t matter to me, someone else’s unhappiness wouldn’t affect how felt about a piece, I’d see it as their loss being my gain.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not at all.
I have a friend who does, though. She has asked me to wear her ruby ring for a while to rid it of the bad Karma from her previous marriage. I did and now she can enjoy it again.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't but I see how a piece could be associated with bad memories...if it doesn't bring the owner joy there's no point in holding on to it imho

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I don’t believe in Jewelry bad juju.

I only believe in good juju when it comes to breathing new life and love in unworn pieces and pieces that have been previously loved.

@Austina, yes, Bella had a most loving life before you and may that long continue. I feel so good you are loving and wearing her and that she is bringing you blingy happiness. A more fitting family I couldn’t imagine and it made it an easy decision for me. Win win. Bella is filled with love and happiness and wedded bliss. :kiss2:

I love antique/vintage pieces because their history is rich and also because it is the environmentally kind thing to do. i love wearing little pieces of history. I am an old soul and it fits who I am.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do with some pieces. I have an antique necklace which when worn, seems to be involved in a depressed day. But, I believe in crystal energy, and take time to feel how a piece affects me. That necklace is one which my husband insisted on getting because he loved it so much. I admired the workmanship but unlikely that I would have bought it on my own.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
No.

The opposite does work:

I came to appreciate the feeling of jewelry as a talisman - without ever giving it a thought; life had to get tough enough for this instinct to show up, with no belief to back it. I am not likely to forget.

Last edited:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
=)2I don’t believe jewelry can carry bad Juju but like @Alex T I reach for jewelry passed down from my MIL or grandmother when I need extra strength or comfort!!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't but my mom had me sell an emerald and diamond set my father gave her. She said bad things happened to her whenever she wore those pieces. She wouldn't sell it herself because she didn't want to upset him but it was ok for me to get rid of it. Not very logical but which juju is?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I like to think when I get something, I'm rescuing it. Usually the things I find are old and not the height of fashion, but they're beautiful to my eyes, so I scoop them up and comfort them. Nothing is unloveable that way. Not people, not animals, not jewellery. The past is overcome, with fresh love.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes and no. I have the ring set from my grandmothers second husband. I know many people would not like it because he wasn't their actual grandfather. But in my eyes he still was my grandfather and honestly I probably ended up spending slightly more time with him than my actual grandfather who died when I was super young. So even though he is not my blood relation I am happy to have it. If I were ever concerned about bad luck I would just go look online about cleansing. Only if cleansing and blessing didn't work would I ever even consider getting rid of a piece. But luckily I haven't had any peices like that yet. Hopefully I never will either.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all. I only buy vintage/antique/preloved, and I never even give it a second thought beyond "I bet someone loved this too!". I have that attitude with any material item.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel a bit silly admitting this, but yes. The reason I feel silly is because I've purchased a lot of antique jewelry for someone who's worried about bad juju; I'm wearing two antique rings, an antique pendant, and two vintage chains as I type. :oops: I like that old things have a lot of character so I put them on and hope for the best. :pray:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care to wear my husband's grandmother's ring. It's beautiful but it does not leave me with a good feeling when wearing it. It seems to like to be admired, but not worn. My grandmother's ring on the other hand has the most wonderful vibe when wearing it. It could all be a subconscious thing for me.

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I have rid myself of my 'meaningful' pieces of jewelry from my ex-the wedding band I had designed, the surprise diamond band he gave to me, the pink sapphire and diamond band that was a pre-push present for our 4th child(and fertility baby), a gorgeous, and I mean GORGEOUS, pink tourmaline and diamond ring he bought while we were in the islands trying to save our marriage. When I look at these pieces, I see ex, so I want no personal reminders of HIM. I have two lovely watches that I chose while we were married, keeping those. And a couple of other things, but for me, the jewelry related to my ex. I am a good karma person, so anyone receiving/accepting these pieces will still have my positive energy and love coming with.... I have wedding bands from a great aunt and great grandmother. I wear occasionally or just 'rub' them when I need a feel good memory of my youth and these precious women.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I would never buy a divorcee’s wedding set. :???: I stay away from I Do Now I Don’t.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never buy a divorcee’s wedding set. :???: I stay away from I Do Now I Don’t.

See, this is an odd one for me. A best friend of mine once gave away her expensive wedding set to another friend to use for her own, as this other friend was studying & as a couple, they really didn’t have money for rings. My bestie had the rings from her first, hideous marriage, during which he had cheated pretty much since day 1 & he fessed up the day after their second child was born, because the mistress was angry & threatening to dob him in. She couldn’t even stand the thought of those rings being in her home, so decided to donate to the friend in need, who willingly took them. This girl LOVES her second hand wedding rings! She had them cleaned, polished & sized, then sort of tried to rid them of any bad karma & had a little chat with them about making a fresh start or something. To this day she still has a really happy marriage & doesn’t give a toss to the rings past.

I personally think I might feel a bit weird, but is that because I can afford my own rings? If I was in the other friends shoes at my time of engagement & my bestie had offered me those rings, I think I would have taken them. They are stunning, beautiful & valuable.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See, this is an odd one for me. A best friend of mine once gave away her expensive wedding set to another friend to use for her own, as this other friend was studying & as a couple, they really didn’t have money for rings. My bestie had the rings from her first, hideous marriage, during which he had cheated pretty much since day 1 & he fessed up the day after their second child was born, because the mistress was angry & threatening to dob him in. She couldn’t even stand the thought of those rings being in her home, so decided to donate to the friend in need, who willingly took them. This girl LOVES her second hand wedding rings! She had them cleaned, polished & sized, then sort of tried to rid them of any bad karma & had a little chat with them about making a fresh start or something. To this day she still has a really happy marriage & doesn’t give a toss to the rings past.

I personally think I might feel a bit weird, but is that because I can afford my own rings? If I was in the other friends shoes at my time of engagement & my bestie had offered me those rings, I think I would have taken them. They are stunning, beautiful & valuable.

I think it's beautiful that those rings are having a 2nd life with someone the original owner cares for. A generous, kind, and hopeful act on the part of your friend.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll wait and see whether Kate Middleton reaches the end of her natural life before I answer that question! :errrr: :???:

Serious answer: I don't believe a piece of jewelry can curse you or anything, but if there was a very bad story attached to an item - and to a ring, in particular - I'd probably prefer not to wear it. It's not rational, I know. How many people would want to wear a sweater owned by a mass murdered, for example? Would anyone really be comfortable wearing Ted Bundy's leather jacket, or The Yorkshire Ripper's winter coat? But they are just objects. So I don't know why.

I find Diana's ring particularly spooky. She was so desperately unhappy that she seemed like a living ghost even when she was alive. Charles wrote in his book that he never loved her, so that gorgeous wedding was a sham. Then there was the ghost of what could have been at the wedding, in the form of Camilla, then a truly horrible protracted separation and divorce, which could hardly have been more painful by all accounts. And then there's the tragic, violent ending.

I would never want to wear a ring that had been through so many terrible times and represented so much pain to so many people. And it was meant to symbolize such happiness! It's not because I think the wearer is jinxed; I just think that everything it stands for is simply horrible. I would venture to suggest that it was in poor taste of William to choose it for Kate. It could have gone to Charlotte as a dress ring. And there's always a chance it could be jinxed...the pagans believed that metals held onto vibrations cause by the emotions of the wearer. Or something.

Interesting question, Alex.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I've pondered the same thing about Kate's ring Jambalaya. The way i look at it is that it really was just a ring Diana chose out of a selection. She had good taste, it is a ring that stands out even at a distance making it a great piece of jewelry to wear to official events and charities. It's also an historic ring and the Royals are all about history and tradition. The ring had fallen into disuse for a number of years before it came out to be used as Kate's engagement ring. I think it was given in the spirit of William and Kate knowing that their marriage was going to be good, being based on a foundation of a strong and long friendship. It was a ring given as part of a confident and secure decision and it was a way of including his mother in the celebration of a happy occasion.

And I guess that's the important thing. The spirit in which a piece of jewelry is given. I don't blame brides to be who object to being given the same ring as their fiance gave to a previous girlfriend. The attitude is bad juju.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll wait and see whether Kate Middleton reaches the end of her natural life before I answer that question! :errrr: :???:

Serious answer: I don't believe a piece of jewelry can curse you or anything, but if there was a very bad story attached to an item - and to a ring, in particular - I'd probably prefer not to wear it. It's not rational, I know. How many people would want to wear a sweater owned by a mass murdered, for example? Would anyone really be comfortable wearing Ted Bundy's leather jacket, or The Yorkshire Ripper's winter coat? But they are just objects. So I don't know why.

I find Diana's ring particularly spooky. She was so desperately unhappy that she seemed like a living ghost even when she was alive. Charles wrote in his book that he never loved her, so that gorgeous wedding was a sham. Then there was the ghost of what could have been at the wedding, in the form of Camilla, then a truly horrible protracted separation and divorce, which could hardly have been more painful by all accounts. And then there's the tragic, violent ending.

I would never want to wear a ring that had been through so many terrible times and represented so much pain to so many people. And it was meant to symbolize such happiness! It's not because I think the wearer is jinxed; I just think that everything it stands for is simply horrible. I would venture to suggest that it was in poor taste of William to choose it for Kate. It could have gone to Charlotte as a dress ring. And there's always a chance it could be jinxed...the pagans believed that metals held onto vibrations cause by the emotions of the wearer. Or something.

Interesting question, Alex.

Really though provoking reply - thank you for your input :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results