shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you and your SO share the same political views?

Q

Queenie60

Do you and your SO share the same political views? If not, how are you doing during the turmoil of the primary elections? Are you able to have peaceful discussions or do you avoid the subject all together?

My SO and I share the same views but it would be interesting to know how other couples handle this when they do not agree.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we share the same views on almost everything.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60,

I can't help with how to deal with differing political views.

The man in my life has the same political views as I do. Same values and attitudes towards many things. I ensured that was the case through many, long conversations during the early days. :))

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I do not share the same views on politics. He is a Republican and I am a Democrat. Makes for interesting conversations at home.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, of course we do... :wink2: but when we GTG to have lunch with my brother... :wacko:

Mesma

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah we do haha. But unfortunately most of the rest of his family are diehard republicans. Except for the cool grandpa that everyone is too respectful of to openly disagree with at family gatherings, so it's not usually much of an issue :dance:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We are both liberal, but we fall in different places on the spectrum and have different issues that are most important to us. We have good natured debates but I don't think we've ever fought about politics. We are both extremely upset about the possibilities for this election and the long-reaching implications for our country so we agreed no Trump talk at dinner. :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2dolls|1461086268|4021222 said:
My husband and I do not share the same views on politics. He is a Republican and I am a Democrat. Makes for interesting conversations at home.
You are with the majority here.76% of the members here are Dems.. :wink2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes for my ex-hubby and late partner, and I do not believe I can spend significant time with someone who do not share my outlook in life.

DK :))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, my husband agrees with me on everything. :naughty: That maybe wasn't the case when we first got together, but I fixed him. :lol:

My parents have opposing political views. My dad watches his talking heads in one room and my mother listens to NPR in another is how they deal with it. Works for them!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We fall near each other on the spectrum (Left) but vary slightly in different policies. So I wouldn't ever say we argue, and we do have mostly similar views.

My FIL has very different views, as does my step father. I don't discuss politics much with them haha.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Not even close.

He loves Trump. I can barely stand to look at him.

He is staunch republican. I am more of an independent in that I both like and dislike certain things that each group stands for.

We do not discuss politics. We go to the polls to vote separately. Only comment we share is that in our house, we cancel each other out.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're both independents but we have some different views in some areas. In my 20's I what is now considered a moderate republican which barely exists these days. We talk politics and it can get pretty interesting....lol

Our value system as people is in agreement which goes a long way past some of the politics.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We share the same political views though I am a registered independent and he is registered under a different political party. We still share the same views. Both socially liberal and fiscally conservative. We both hate Trump and Clinton but will vote for Clinton as we see no other choice.

As Arcadian posted we both share the same value system which goes past politics. And if we disagree on something we are both open and listen to the others point of view without judging. Honestly that's what we do.

Though as Monnie wrote when it comes right down to it my dh knows it is best to agree with me on everything. He has learned much during our many years together. He is a wise man that way. :lol: Just last night we were discussing something and I said OK I leave it to you to make the decision as I trust your judgment to do what you think is best. And he said I just told him exactly what to do so it is not leaving it to him at all. Exactly. :cheeky:

Queenie, if a couple doesn't agree on a major issue my advice is to listen to each other with respect and love and try to see it from their POV. Listening and being heard goes a long way to a harmonious relationship even if you don't agree on everything.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I firmly believe men get married because they need direction. We are just doing our part. :bigsmile:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
When we met 17 years ago we were both libertarians. I'm still a libertarian whereas he's shifted on some social issues and I would say he's on the cusp of libertarian/republican at this point. We didn't vote for the same candidate during the primaries (then again I voted for a candidate who'd already dropped out of the race) and we've had some brief but passionate disagreements.

Like other posters have said, we're on the same page when it comes to day-to-day matters in the home.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1461092421|4021299 said:
Missy, I firmly believe men get married because they need direction. We are just doing our part. :bigsmile:

Haha definitely. They are lucky to have us! :halo: :cheeky:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankfully yes! We are not involved in the primaries, but do have the angst of the EU referendum (will we stay or will we go...) so feelings are running high all round. We agree on this and have done in all other recent elections (Scottish Independence, anyone?)
:rolleyes:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Queenie60|1461079991|4021143 said:
Do you and your SO share the same political views? If not, how are you doing during the turmoil of the primary elections? Are you able to have peaceful discussions or do you avoid the subject all together?

My SO and I share the same views but it would be interesting to know how other couples handle this when they do not agree.
Yes, and some things each of us is more passionate about than the other, which varies by issue.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. The big difference is that he likes to talk about it endlessly and I figure if we both agree anyway, then why keep going.

I was raised in a family where everyone should read and learn about all candidates and make their choice based on knowledge of the facts as much as possible. A small amount of talking about the facts of each candidate (but NEVER at dinner or a gathering) is okay, but mostly just don't.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Me and my SO? Yes for the most part. Me and my SO's parents!?!?!?!?!? NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband is more moderate than I am. But we agree on most issues.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Yes, we have the same core beliefs. He's very conservative. I'm a moderate conservative with plenty of wiggle room for everyone to do their own thing. Sometimes we disagree, but we talk it through. Sometimes I hit my propaganda quota and ask that we change the subject, especially before bed. :wall:

In every other way we're a perfect match. With politics it's less of a sure thing. Happily BOTH of us do not like Trump.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I share the same political views. He better agree with me anyway. :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we share the same political views...we both roll our eyes at the same time, cant stand the same people, and talk to the TV
when when we're being fed BS. We love discussing politics and bond daily in that area :lol: .

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes and no. Somedays mostly yes, and other days mostly no.

cheers--Sharon

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty much...we're both open minded and not entirely loyal based on party alone but are generally pretty liberal, stay out of people's personal lives kind of people.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
No. He is far Left. I am a moderate who leans left, and I agree with the Right on a couple of issues. He and I tend to vote exactly the same, because on most issues, I don't agree with the Right.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
We're both socially very liberal, but he's a libertarian and I'm... well, tbh I'm leaning more libertarian with continued exposure, but I still think true libertarianism is kinda... mean? And tend to vote democratic as a result. Anyway, he's a lawyer and his whole life has taught him how to be very verbally persuasive, so it's not my fault! :lol: But on non-party issues, like all those Propositions on the ballot, we read them through individually and then decide, and then discuss our answers. Don't always come to an agreement, either, so it feels like genuine participatory democracy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results