shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you always have fresh flowers at home?

Do you always have fresh flowers at home?

• Total voters

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Do you always have fresh flowers at home? I love fresh flowers, and have debated a subscription service or to have them at all times, but I don't like it when they die from an aesthetic and sustainability stand point. I do have some faux flowers, but they aren't as pretty. I wonder if there are evergreen arrangements in a pot so they are fresh, but can keep living without being cut?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sort of.
Being potted I don't think I can call them fresh flowers.
I usually have a small potted flowering orchid on the window sill over the kitchen sink.

The blooms last for weeks, sometimes even months.
When the flowers die I just toss it and wait till I see another one I like.
They're only 8 bucks or so, an amazing bargain for live flowers that last so long.

In the living room I have a Kentia palm and a Raphis palm, both slow-growing and just 3 or 4 ft tall.
But those aren't fresh flowers either. :evil2:

That's it though.
While I love indoor plants I don't need another time-consuming hobby.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI::

Yes, especially in winter months. I love roses--and have some apricot colored ones here now!

cheers--Sharon

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to have flowers all the time!! I love having them. The way they look, the way they smell. Unfortunately four of our six cats also love flowers so we’re limited in terms of where we can keep them :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Orchid is my only source of fresh flowers once a year when they bloom. It's otherwise a no flower home due to family having allergies. I dislike the "waste" of throwing dead blooms after a week but agree the appearance, smell and everything that goes with fresh blooms is something special.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish I did it always feels like too much of an extravagance though. We have a big garden though and there is pretty much always something in bloom. Indoor plants I tend to kill but there are some survivors and some fake plants too :-o

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I love them, so do my 4 cats which means fresh flowers make a rare appearance in my house.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought amazing orchids at Costco and there's always one of the two in bloom .
Otherwise I have roses or lilies on the mantle and on the dining room table.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only times we have fresh flowers in the house are these:

• When our potted calamansi is in bloom (as it was recently-- wonderful fragrance! Like orange blossoms.)
• When our lilies of the valley, hyacinths or roses are in bloom
• Around Easter each year we buy a pot with 4 or 6 hyacinths and plant the bulbs in our flower bed after the flowers have faded.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Used to, I’d buy a bunch of lilies every other week, and they really lasted, but since we‘ve been getting online deliveries, I haven’t been out to the shops for most of the last year so haven’t had any flowers.

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
I always have fresh carnations. I buy them for my prayer room to put on my Buddha altar. They get changed once a week.

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
Almost never (except maybe for Valentine's Day). I think they are a waste of money because they just die. I'd rather plants but I can't keep those alive either. I also don't like fake plants because they collect dust.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have flowers in my yard most of the year so don't feel the need to always have them in the house. sometimes its nice though especially when we get cold snaps.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We only have them on rare occasions due to our cats, but over the years the kids have drawn me many wonderful flower pictures, and I have to admit that in many ways I love those hand drawn pictures even more than fresh flowers!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I love alstroemeria because they're only $4 and last for 2 weeks. I used to get them probably once a month from Trader Joe's pre-pandemic. Now I haven't been to TJ's in a year because there's always a line outdoors when I drive by and I'm just not willing to wait! I miss them.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oriental lillies are my favourite blooms, but I don’t buy fresh flowers as much as I used to. I prefer to buy orchids or indoor plants because I can enjoy them for longer.
I’ve become a bit indoor plant obsessed the last few years and I have built up a bit of collection, I also love to propagate and give my friends cuttings of the plants I do have.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our cats, well one in particular, really really love flowers. I was able to have them for a few days around special occasions until he got bold enough to jump to the "unreachable" spot I had been setting them. Some broken crystal figurines and chewed up leaves vomited through the house left it clear that any more cut flowers is just a bad idea. Similar issues had already ended any live plants inside...

I find I enjoy looking at them outside more than inside anymore. Lets them live and stay fresh much longer plus no issues with the cats. I love the idea above about getting flowering bulbs you can plant later!
My grandmother always has something blooming inside. She has Christmas & Thanksgiving cactus plants plus various other indoor plants that flower.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to have them all the time. So would my cats. Ergo... no. :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cats: The reason so many of us can’t have nice things ;( :eek-2::rolleyes:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flowers from garden in spring and summer through mid fall. Then hubby buys flowers from Trader Joe’s or grocery store in winter. Many flowers have been forced potted bulbs from Trader Joes and despite warnings to contrary, we do plant bulbs in garden and have had some success esp with daffodils.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fresh flowers give me asthma. Going to a Wake is awful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the cats eat everything and anything that isn't nailed down. Especially Oliver. That Oliver.
But in any case, TBH, it makes me sad when fresh flowers die so I prefer potted plants and things that live a longer time. But with the cats, especially Oliver, we cannot even have that. :/

ilickedit.gif

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For anyone who has forsythia bushes- now is the time to cut some branches, bring them inside and put them in a vase. In a couple days they will bloom and last for weeks. :)

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
No, gets pricey where I live but we bring in colorful branches, scented evergreens and rocks and moss covered things. If they've been on the beach...well they're are scented, sometimes not so nicely.
Fresh flowers are a wonderful extravagance in the winter here.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI::

Yes, especially in winter months. I love roses--and have some apricot colored ones here now!

cheers--Sharon

We are two birds of a feather! I always have roses.. Costco has the best ones.
The only 2 weeks of the year that I don't have fresh Costco roses are Valentine's Day week and Mother's Days week. Then they are twice the price for half as many.
The other 50 weeks a year I do. :D

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are two birds of a feather! I always have roses.. Costco has the best ones.
The only 2 weeks of the year that I don't have fresh Costco roses are Valentine's Day week and Mother's Days week. Then they are twice the price for half as many.
The other 50 weeks a year I do. :D

We are indeed! I always have a difficult time choosing which color---I just want them all!

In my other house--I had planters built for my roses. I loved tending to them and I loved the bees that visited me everyday. My Asiatic lilies grew SO tall I called Triffids!!! Their scent was powerful and could be detected one house away!:wavey:

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel just the same.. all so beautiful.. it's so hard to decide.
I usually gently squeeze the head and see which are the firmest and will last the longest. o_O
How lovely that you actually grew your own roses and lilies in your other home.. it sounds like it brought you a ton of pleasure!:kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results