shape
carat
color
clarity

Do Princess Diamonds Specs Change????

liarudd

Shiny_Rock
I have been reading some posts on princess cut diamonds.... and I have seen a bit of difference in peoples opinions on table %, depth % etc....

Do these change depending on if the diamond is below 1 carat and above? Or is it really just opinion?

Also on a side note... I want to know if diamonds can face up with an excellent cut? or is it only when they are shallow....

Any input would be great thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
liarudd said:
I have been reading some posts on princess cut diamonds.... and I have seen a bit of difference in peoples opinions on table %, depth % etc....

with princess cuts you can't really go by the numbers. there are some newer AGS0 princess cuts with smaller tables...is the main difference you are seeing with table size?

Do these change depending on if the diamond is below 1 carat and above? Or is it really just opinion?

no, should not change.

Also on a side note... I want to know if diamonds can face up with an excellent cut? or is it only when they are shallow....

i am not sure what you mean by this?

Any input would be great thanks!

liarudd

Shiny_Rock
I mean that I have seen some diamonds that look bigger in mm then they should be for their carat size (that are excellent cuts)... but most of the articles i am reading online seem to have me confused and point more towards if it faces up larger than it is a shallow cut (which i do not think would be as good : I could be wrong)
As for the table sizes.... i have seen some that say under 69% and some over? some say closer to 75% I just don't know if that would be the same percentage for every diamond size is what i mean... Or is it really just a range and depends on the specific diamond in person?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
liarudd|1318556984|3039847 said:
I mean that I have seen some diamonds that look bigger in mm then they should be for their carat size (that are excellent cuts)... but most of the articles i am reading online seem to have me confused and point more towards if it faces up larger than it is a shallow cut (which i do not think would be as good : I could be wrong)
As for the table sizes.... i have seen some that say under 69% and some over? some say closer to 75% I just don't know if that would be the same percentage for every diamond size is what i mean... Or is it really just a range and depends on the specific diamond in person?

The last thing you said is true...the ranges are just guidelines, and you really have to see the diamond in person or with reflector images to determine how it will look. Many of the AGS0 diamonds that were cut specifically to maximize light performance have depths higher than what was previously considered ideal (we're talking 75-78% or so) as well as tables smaller than what was previously considered ideal. The other guidelines that usually hold true are that you should look for a depth greater than the table and avoid extremes of girdle thickness. As for face-up size, it's typically inversely related to depth as you mentioned, but a lot of us are willing to sacrifice a few mm of face-up size to get a well-cut stone, which often have relatively high depth percentages. Also, well-cut stones sparkle from edge to edge, so they actually appear larger than poorly cut stones as an optical illusion.

liarudd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info! Makes sense

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results