shape
carat
color
clarity

Do Princess cuts look smaller than other Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tiggerlgh

Rough_Rock
One of my friends just got engaged recently and she has a 1 carat princess cut solitare. When I looked at it, it seriously looked about half the size of my 1 carat solitare. I was just wondering if this was normal or not. I know he got it at Zales so I am not sure about the cut of the diamond.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I've always thought that comparable princesses look larger than RBs. I think those extra corners make it appear so to me. I suspect your friend's princess is cut way too deeply.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Princess cut diamonds, as with all other diamond shapes, can look larger or smaller depending on the ratio between the total depth and the outside diameter of the stone... For instance, the "ideal" outside diameter for a one carat round brilliant ideal cut diamond is 6.5 mm but a one carat round brilliant cut diamond could be cut deep and then the outside diameter could be only 6.00 mm or so... And if the diamond were cut extremely shallow ("spread") it could have an outside diameter around 7.00 mm... The same concept applies to princess cut diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results