shape
carat
color
clarity

Do Not Eat Romaine Lettuce

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny We are lucky where we are here in Cheshire. We live in green belt area surrounded by working farms & we have a decent sized garden. Every year we have a greenhouse full of tomato’s, cucumber, peppers & chili’s, plus we have blueberry bushes, a plum tree, a rhubarb & a big area that we grow peas, corn, strawberries & courgette in. Sometimes we grow onion sets, garlic & carrots too. The girls are avid gardeners & get involved in prepping the soil, planting, tending & (the best bit) harvesting! They are always nibbling on blueberries, peas or plums when they’re outside playing in the summer. It teaches them a good, healthy lesson & it’s all free. There are no rules for snacking on anything that they grow in the garden.

But you are right about houses with gardens being ridiculously expensive in this country. We were lucky that we bought when we did & where we did. The vicarage in the next village sold some of it’s large garden off 18 months ago, with planning permission for one 4 bed detached property. The plot sold for £240k. The builder that bought it must have been good at string pulling, because before you know it he had built TWO 5 bed detached houses with ZERO garden. Literally. The front areas are paved & share a big electric gate. The backs of the houses almost butt up to the boundary & each have a small decked area. Each house sold over the summer for, wait for it, £750k o_O And what really gets my goat about these things, is that anybody who buys a house of that size clearly has a family. Where do the children play?? How do they run around & get some healthy exercise & fresh air??

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was on the news today. It was reported the CDC issued the warning romaine lettuce is not safe to eat. They also mentioned people were hospitized and this was a particularily bad strain of E Coil that can cause kidney failure.

Please throw it away @Arcadian. They specifically said do not buy it and if you have it in your home, do not eat it.

I took it back to the store. kinda pissy about it but yeah I figured I'd let the store destroy it and give me back the money I paid for it.

I usually do chopped salad with Romaine but I'll do it without.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-11-18/map.html

map-11-20-18.jpg

I took it back to the store. kinda pissy about it but yeah I figured I'd let the store destroy it and give me back the money I paid for it.

I usually do chopped salad with Romaine but I'll do it without.

Smart move. It's not worth the risk. I am surprised the store was pissy about it. Bad business to have an attitude about taking back possibly poisoned food. That is why I love and adore and cherish Costco. Never any attitude about any returns for any reason. Let alone returning potentially ontaminated food.::)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-11-18/map.html

map-11-20-18.jpg

Smart move. It's not worth the risk. I am surprised the store was pissy about it. Bad business to have an attitude about taking back possibly poisoned food. That is why I love and adore and cherish Costco. Never any attitude about any returns for any reason. Let alone returning potentially ontaminated food.::)
I guess they figured I was trying to get rid of some Hot Lettuce...lol

They claimed they had never heard about it, and this isn't some little store either! So I pulled it up on my phone! They call the manager over, she read it, looked it up on her own phone it was only after that that they went about giving me my money back. Thankfully kept the receipt because of course they asked for it.

So I hope they do get rid of their lettuce. but that also includes lots of the bagged stuff too. The store manager looked way more concerned after she saw it on her own phone (I mean seriously I can't fake the CDC website now can I?)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been trying to get back to eating salads. What is safe to eat? Twinkies because they're pretty much radioactive?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
crackup.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been trying to get back to eating salads. What is safe to eat? Twinkies because they're pretty much radioactive?

Haha who doesn't love Twinkies. Wouldn't that be a kicker to find out all that stuff is actually better for us than salads, fruits, veggies etc? :P2

Seriously though still safe (as of this posting that is lol) for salad is:
Spinach (spectacular), Kale (is King), Chard (crunchy), Iceberg (Incredible), Yellow and Red (Pretty) Peppers, Butter lettuce (beautifully delicious), Arugula (is Awesome) and probably some I left out...but there is no shortage of delicious salad ingredients so while Romaine is off the list for now there are yummy substitutes. Happy crunching.:lickout:

Power-Salad-Whats-Gaby-Cooking-.jpg

Here's a yummy Thanksgiving Day salad fyi:
60c30ae6d1354f47f0d7f3ef200d16c6.jpg
A hearty autumn grain salad made with kale, apple, carrots, radishes, sweet potato, and apple cider dressing. Perfect for Thanksgiving, make-ahead friendly.

Ingredients
Vegan
∙ Makes 4-6
Produce
  • 1 Apple
  • 1 Carrots
  • 3 Kale, leaves
  • 1 Small handfulParsley
  • 3 Radishes
  • 2 cups Salad greens
  • 1 Sweet potato
Condiments
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
Pasta & Grains
  • 1 cup Farro, cooked

Baking & Spices
  • 1 Sea salt and fresh black pepper
Oils & Vinegars
  • 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Olive oil, extra-virgin
Nuts & Seeds
  • 1/2 cup Almonds

:lickout:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My girlfriend sent me a meme a couple days ago. It reads:

In today's news, The Romaine Empire has fallen. Caesar is dead. Lettuce pray.

:bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the positive side fresh organic baby spinach is delicious and really adds a lovely texture to salads. Gotta love all the lettuces. Lettuce appreciate they are all not (yet) contaminated.:pray:

Chris-Traeger-loves-lettuce.gif

spinachstrong.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter, great-nephew and I went to a party at a Tapas restaurant to celebrate two family events today. There was a mixed salad served as one of the many dishes. It looked gorgeous, but it was constructed with Romaine. I had actually taken some and eaten a tiny bit of Romaine before it registered. I mentioned the Romaine to my family near me, but only I really avoided the Romaine. I thought of mentioning it to the host or hostess (my cousin and his wife) but decided not to be negative at their party. Everyone at the party was educated, sophisticated, and informed except my poor daughter whom I allowed to eat the Romaine because she wanted to despite the warnings.... She said she knew she couldn't buy Romaine anywhere now, that she had to substitute spinach wherever she went.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results