shape
carat
color
clarity

do members reply to your newbie Qs

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
on the other forums or do they just ignore you? have you been on forums that made you feel uncomfortable?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes.

You really have to lurk for a while to get the feel of the place.
Fora vary a great deal.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you say "other forums" do you mean here on PS or other sites?

PS is the only forum I visit regularly, and I do remember when I was new, a few questions I had went unanswered. A few were kind of embarrassing too, so I was actually okay with it. :cheeky:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't know. I am not a member of another forum. My advice to anyone joining a new forum would be to sit back, see what the vibe is. See how things work. Then ask questions. If I was ignored it wouldn't bother me much. I might wait a few days and rephrase the question?? IDK.

Seems like we do a good job of answering newbies Q's here, but some would say we dont...

I am not here that much so don't have a vibe of how things are going.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
People have been very nice and helpful. I lurked for a month or two, but I dont know if I really got a good 'feel' for the place. I didn't even realize that there were non-jewelry boards! In hindsight I probably could have sat back longer to figure out the vibe. But I'm so impatient!! I guess I figure that if no one likes me, I'll be chased off.

My personality could be described as "aggressively friendly", or, perhaps, obnoxious? My close friends call me a human Golden Retriever :rodent: While I want people to like me, I am secure with myself and have a very fulfilling social life IRL, so if y'all were to tell me to pound sand, it wouldn't ruin me.

I feel like this is what's tricky about the interwebz. People often come here for companionship, and when someone like that is shunned by an online community, it could be devastating.

The only other online community I have been a part of was Gawker's Jezebel. I was welcomed there and invited to be a part of the contibutors' private community.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Yes.

I have to say I feel when I was very new, I was treated with great care and attention. Especially in light of the fact I was asking (silly :oops: ) questions about my less than perfect (now consigned and sold :praise: ) RB.

The replies I received were given with great tact and diplomacy. :appl:

I do think that on area's other than Rocky Talky, it helps if you are a known poster. (for the record I don't think I am a well known poster but have been around for almost two years so that helps a wee bit ;)) )

I do think that PS, on the whole, is a very welcoming community. I am proud to be a member. :wavey:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1322008747|3067160 said:
on the other forums or do they just ignore you? have you been on forums that made you feel uncomfortable?

Yes, but questions here on PS have largely been unanswered.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When our cat was sick I found and posted on a couple of cat/pet boards. People were very nice and responsive, but... I think that's the nature of the boards in question - I wasn't exactly pursuing a hobby, after all.

Other than that the only forum I frequent is PS... I've spent quite a bit of time reading GO threads that Google searches led me to, too.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
When I first joined Pricescope, on Rocky Talk there were alot more professionals and prosumers answering questions. And looking back at previous discussions, they seriously were more lively. Now newbies get one or two answers at most. And many of the vendors have disappeared. RT still is a friendly place, but the "welcome wagon" has certainly dried up.

I cannot really speak to all the other places on Pricescope, but I have found some more cliquey than others.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results