shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I tip tree guys?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do this! I don't think it's weird, and my salon had never made me feel weird, either.

Fragrances give me awful headaches, and coming home from the salon always meant spending the rest of the day in pain.... until I started brining my own shampoo and conditioner. Plus, I use very specific Sulfate/Paraban/Polyquat/etc. free products and I really prefer to maintain that. My salon welcomed me bringing my own products when I asked, and has never given me a moment's hesitation about it.

Same. I can’t deal with fragrances and I also stay away from sulfates/parabens etc. And this guy was great about it too.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Arcadian..They just finished. I went out to give each of them $20. They looked surprised and thanked me more than once saying they appreciated it…I don’t know why I can handle anything…but give me a tipping situation other than a restaurant bill and I get frazzled..lol
Thank you everyone that helped..XOXO

I can really relate to you @MamaBee! I get all twisted up wondering if I should tip or not in many situations. Just yesterday we had two guys out last minute to check on our septic. It was hot and their day wasn't over, and it occurred to me I might give them a tip to 'get a coffee' on their back through town. It felt so awkward to do it though; there wasn't a natural opportunity (I would have had to put it on their truck seat, because we really didn't interact). I ended up chickening out - had I read this thread I might have been encouraged to follow through. DH would have thought I was nuts though. He's not cheap, but he's more black & white with when to tip and when not to.

I really don't like the idea of tipping for things outside of the accepted & obvious norm (food services, hair and spa services, transportation). There have been times that I have gone ahead and done it, and it was awkwardly received (or declined). And times I decided not to and ended up getting the sense I should have. Ugh!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can really relate to you @MamaBee! I get all twisted up wondering if I should tip or not in many situations. Just yesterday we had two guys out last minute to check on our septic. It was hot and their day wasn't over, and it occurred to me I might give them a tip to 'get a coffee' on their back through town. It felt so awkward to do it though; there wasn't a natural opportunity (I would have had to put it on their truck seat, because we really didn't interact). I ended up chickening out - had I read this thread I might have been encouraged to follow through. DH would have thought I was nuts though. He's not cheap, but he's more black & white with when to tip and when not to.

I really don't like the idea of tipping for things outside of the accepted & obvious norm (food services, hair and spa services, transportation). There have been times that I have gone ahead and done it, and it was awkwardly received (or declined). And times I decided not to and ended up getting the sense I should have. Ugh!

Yes..I feel the same way.. @rainydaze

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You guys are generous! It would never occur to me to tip tree repair people. I do however tip my hair guy--and he is the owner.

cheers--Sharon

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy I bring my own pillow if I sleep over my son and daughter-in-law’s house. I also bring a little pillow on vacations I can bring with me on a plane. I look like a weirdo sleeping with a baby pillow. I get grossed out sleeping on pillows that other people slept on. That is weird..but I own it..hahaha

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I bring my own pillow if I sleep over my son and daughter-in-law’s house. I also bring a little pillow on vacations I can bring with me on a plane. I look like a weirdo sleeping with a baby pillow. I get grossed out sleeping on pillows that other people slept on. That is weird..but I own it..hahaha

Omg. I bring my pillow anywhere I’m staying overnight. Lololol.

When we flew to Italy the guards saw tweezers in my suitcase through the X-ray and commanded me to open it and there was my big pillow on top. They looked at me and then my pillow and then told me to shut the suitcase and cleared me to go on the plane. Tweezers safe and sound to pluck another day. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Omg. I bring my pillow anywhere I’m staying overnight. Lololol.

When we flew to Italy the guards saw tweezers in my suitcase through the X-ray and commanded me to open it and there was my big pillow on top. They looked at me and then my pillow and then told me to shut the suitcase and cleared me to go on the plane. Tweezers safe and sound to pluck another day. :lol:

That’s so funny @missy!! :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don't tip here
But i feel sorry for anyone working in the rain
I've done it - its best not to stop
just jeep going till its finished then go home

does it perhaps depend on the hourly rate of a given occupation like how your waiters and waitresses seem to be on very low wages compaired to here ?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don't tip here
But i feel sorry for anyone working in the rain
I've done it - its best not to stop
just jeep going till its finished then go home

does it perhaps depend on the hourly rate of a given occupation like how your waiters and waitresses seem to be on very low wages compaired to here ?

Yes…. @Daisys and Diamonds The trouble now is everyone expects a tip. I don’t mind for most things..but others make me scratch my head..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes…. @Daisys and Diamonds The trouble now is everyone expects a tip. I don’t mind for most things..but others make me scratch my head..

What was nice about yesterday is he seemed genuinely appreciative when I tipped him. I don’t think he was expecting it. It was a very expensive haircut though so next time I’m not sure if or how much I’ll tip him. It was more expensive than my nyc hairdresser. Just a cut. No blow drying etc.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
What was nice about yesterday is he seemed genuinely appreciative when I tipped him. I don’t think he was expecting it. It was a very expensive haircut though so next time I’m not sure if or how much I’ll tip him. It was more expensive than my nyc hairdresser. Just a cut. No blow drying etc.

@missy I’m surprised he took the tip. I’m curious to know how much your haircut cost. It’s okay not to say…I used to pay $60 when I also got my hair colored at the same time. By the time I got my hair cut, colored, and a tip..it would be around $350…and a bit of change. I had it highlighted with low and highlights which cost more.. I recently went to Great Clips. I paid $12 and a $5 tip..lol I’ve been coloring my own hair during Covid ..I couldn’t do the lowlights so my hair is pretty light now..lol I may not go back to having someone else do it. I have David home now so I couldn’t go unless it was a weekend anyway. This is Pa so it probably costs much less than somewhere like New York.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I’m surprised he took the tip. I’m curious to know how much your haircut cost. It’s okay not to say…I used to pay $60 when I also got my hair colored at the same time. By the time I got my hair cut, colored, and a tip..it would be around $350…and a bit of change. I had it highlighted with low and highlights which cost more.. I recently went to Great Clips. I paid $12 and a $5 tip..lol I’ve been coloring my own hair during Covid ..I couldn’t do the lowlights so my hair is pretty light now..lol I may not go back to having someone else do it. I have David home now so I couldn’t go unless it was a weekend anyway. This is Pa so it probably costs much less than somewhere like New York.

Texting you.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee glad they did a good job. I figure this, if they're doing a job like that, I should show my appreciation of it. And yes, they do things they don't necessarily NEED to do beyond just keeping the trees cut back, however the guy is an arborist so he does them (without charge!) Anytime he trims my trees he comments how healthy they are. He also rehomed a giant bird of paradise for me (because I had 5!) I love that he can pretty much look amoung his client list to find homes like that instead of just chopping the trees to bits. (he does not not charge for removal if its part of the replanting process to another home)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results