shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I tip tree guys?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get anxiety over tipping..I’m having my trees trimmed and one tree removed as I write. Do I tip these guys? I’ve read no..I told them cold water is in the fridge in the garage…and to help themselves. They came at 10:30 and should be done by 12:30-1:00…so I can’t buy them lunch. There’s four. If I should tip..How much? This job is $3,000..Opinions please..
Thanks!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

It wouldn't even occur to me to tip tree guys. I had a tree removed a few yrs ago and I did no tip. I was so surprised how fast and efficient they were. I enjoyed watching. I did not get the feeling anyone expected a tip.

Annette

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked my DH and he said only tip if they went above and beyond what is expected.

I know some people tip everyone!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @smitcompton @tyty333 I think as a society we tip too much…I tend to tip everyone but it’s getting out of hand. If they were staying all day I would buy them lunch. I think if I do tip…and I may not…I will tip them $20 each and tell them to buy lunch. I get so anxious over this..I really wish we were like Europe where tipping isn’t the norm. I’m not cheap..It’s just that if I knew what the right thing to do is..I would just do it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH works for a tree company! He is upper management now but he used to be in the bucket.

I was going to say $20 a guy. Maybe I’m biased though lol!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I get tree service done twice per year.

Depending on how long it takes, as well as how well they cleaned up will determine what I tip.

Sometimes I tip 10 or 15 per person, sometimes I do 20.

If they left a mess or they don't do the job fully, then I do not tip.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get tree service done twice per year.

Depending on how long it takes, as well as how well they cleaned up will determine what I tip.

Sometimes I tip 10 or 15 per person, sometimes I do 20.

If they left a mess or they don't do the job fully, then I do not tip.

Thank you @elizat I think I’m going to tip $20 each…I hope they clean everything up because it’s a mess out there..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally we tip $20-25 a guy. Just spent a few thousand saving one of trees and trimming two others and they did a great job.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Generally we tip $20-25 a guy. Just spent a few thousand saving one of trees and trimming two others and they did a great job.

Thank you @missy..It’s raining heavier out there so I feel really bad for them. They’re running the tree stuff through the shredder.

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
I have a regular tree guy who stops by at least a couple of times a year to see if I need any work done. If I don't have something big, I try to find at least something like pruning a tree or maybe removing a large shrub, at least once a year. I've never tipped him (it's his own business) and I don't get the impression he expects it - he's commented several times how much he appreciates my business over the years.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a regular tree guy who stops by at least a couple of times a year to see if I need any work done. If I don't have something big, I try to find at least something like pruning a tree or maybe removing a large shrub, at least once a year. I've never tipped him (it's his own business) and I don't get the impression he expects it - he's commented several times how much he appreciates my business over the years.
Thank you @rungirl If it was just one guy who owns his business I wouldn’t tip either. They work for the arborist. It’s now pouring rain so I’m going to tip them. I called the office about something and mentioned them working in the rain. She said they would rather work in the rain than sweat in the 90+ days we had the last few days. I hope so..

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always tip the tree guys. They come back every year and give me very low prices for the work that they do. About 1/4 of what my neighbor pays.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee so I am trying a new hair place today and long story but the initial place canceled (hairdresser sick) on me 10 minutes before the appointment. We were almost there actually. So I took a chance and called another salon that also came highly recommended and the owner answered the phone and he had an opening later in the day.

I am heading there in 5 minutes. Do I tip the owner? I was prepared to tip the hairdresser I had the appointment with this morning as she isn't the owner but now what do I do? Tip the owner? Or no? I never tipped Tuey who owned his own salon but I haven't been to anyone new for 3 decades and I don't know the protocol. Sorry to threadjack but I knew you wouldn't mind...leaving in 5 minutes so please tell me tip or no...thanks. :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@missy I think etiquette says you don't tip the owner. But I still usually do.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I think etiquette says you don't tip the owner. But I still usually do.

Thanks Eliza. That’s what I thought.

ETA definitely tipping. Just googled it and turns out tradition has changed and tipping is the norm owner or not.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee so I am trying a new hair place today and long story but the initial place canceled (hairdresser sick) on me 10 minutes before the appointment. We were almost there actually. So I took a chance and called another salon that also came highly recommended and the owner answered the phone and he had an opening later in the day.

I am heading there in 5 minutes. Do I tip the owner? I was prepared to tip the hairdresser I had the appointment with this morning as she isn't the owner but now what do I do? Tip the owner? Or no? I never tipped Tuey who owned his own salon but I haven't been to anyone new for 3 decades and I don't know the protocol. Sorry to threadjack but I knew you wouldn't mind...leaving in 5 minutes so please tell me tip or no...thanks. :)

I would try and let him tell you no if he doesn’t want to take it..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee, I would definitely tip them.

Thank you @Calliecake. They’re out there in the pouring rain..Ugh…There’s four guys..I’ll give them $20 each and tell them to please have lunch on me. I can’t order it for them because they want to get finished. I can’t see them stopping for lunch..The head guy said he wanted to get done so he could go home and have beer..lol

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would try and let him tell you no if he doesn’t want to take it..

I know I answered you by text but I didn‘t want anyone to think I ignored you..lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I answered you by text but I didn‘t want anyone to think I ignored you..lol

Is it weird I’m bringing my own shampoo and conditioner lol.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tip the guys doing the work and I provide water (it gets hot here) I can only hire people that are certified to work near power lines as FPL will do kind of the bare minimum. In general tree work takes place about every other year. they do a good job, clean up my yard, that works for me, I tip 10 bucks each on top of the bill (300 dollarsish) and they appreciate it. Its only 2 guys, the owner and his assistant. He's a certified state arborist, his assistant is usually a college student learning the trade.

I do not tip FPL's guys when they do the tree work, I do however provide bottled water if they want it (they usually do).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tip the guys doing the work and I provide water (it gets hot here) I can only hire people that are certified to work near power lines as FPL will do kind of the bare minimum. In general tree work takes place about every other year. they do a good job, clean up my yard, that works for me, I tip 10 bucks each on top of the bill (300 dollarsish) and they appreciate it. Its only 2 guys, the owner and his assistant. He's a certified state arborist, his assistant is usually a college student learning the trade.

I do not tip FPL's guys when they do the tree work, I do however provide bottled water if they want it (they usually do).

Thank you @Arcadian..They just finished. I went out to give each of them $20. They looked surprised and thanked me more than once saying they appreciated it…I don’t know why I can handle anything…but give me a tipping situation other than a restaurant bill and I get frazzled..lol
Thank you everyone that helped..XOXO

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Calliecake. They’re out there in the pouring rain..Ugh…There’s four guys..I’ll give them $20 each and tell them to please have lunch on me. I can’t order it for them because they want to get finished. I can’t see them stopping for lunch..The head guy said he wanted to get done so he could go home and have beer..lol

That is exactly what I would do @MamaBee. We had a problem with our roof last week. It was 90 degrees and the guy was up in the attack for 20 minutes checking everything out. He was dripping in sweat when he came down. We gave him $30 and told him lunch is on.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is exactly what I would do @MamaBee. We had a problem with our roof last week. It was 90 degrees and the guy was up in the attack for 20 minutes checking everything out. He was dripping in sweat when he came down. We gave him $30 and told him lunch is on.

@Calliecake I gave our roof repair guy a tip last week. That seemed easier to figure out because it was one person….I feel better after seeing that the tree guys appreciated it….I read that you shouldn't tip the tree guys because they are highly skilled and well paid…The tree that they took down was huge. I was fascinated by the way one guy was cutting the trunk in angles with a huge chainsaw. I was so afraid it would fall on them. They tied a rope onto a tree next to it and pulley roped the dead tree into a huge chipper.

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
@Calliecake I gave our roof repair guy a tip last week. That seemed easier to figure out because it was one person….I feel better after seeing that the tree guys appreciated it….I read that you shouldn't tip the tree guys because they are highly skilled and well paid…The tree that they took down was huge. I was fascinated by the way one guy was cutting the trunk in angles with a huge chainsaw. I was so afraid it would fall on them. They tied a rope onto a tree next to it and pulley roped the dead tree into a huge chipper.

Tree work often looks like a scary and dangerous business, doesn’t it? I have seen them climb a large tree with a chain saw dangling from their waist on a rope. Yikes.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would be very worried about my husband doing a job like that. I couldn’t take my eyes off of them.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it weird I’m bringing my own shampoo and conditioner lol.

I do this! I don't think it's weird, and my salon had never made me feel weird, either.

Fragrances give me awful headaches, and coming home from the salon always meant spending the rest of the day in pain.... until I started brining my own shampoo and conditioner. Plus, I use very specific Sulfate/Paraban/Polyquat/etc. free products and I really prefer to maintain that. My salon welcomed me bringing my own products when I asked, and has never given me a moment's hesitation about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results