shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I need this aqua?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Heated aqua is acceptable treatment and does not detract from the value of the stone. With aqua, the most important component is tone. The darker the blue tone, the more valuable, heated or not. With aqua, the treatment you have to really worry about is irradiation, as dark tone can lighten significantly over time, and synthetic material.

I think $8k is a fair price if the stones are all natural, and the aqua has only been heated. It is definitely not a bargain or a good buy at that price. One can probably make a similar ring for less. However, keep in mind that gold is now $1500/oz, and aqua has also gone up substantially in price. That stone is medium light in tone, so it’s not a particularly valuable color, so maybe $200/carat. The lab report is essential if one is to shell out $8k.
With pricing like that, it'd be <$1500 for the aqua, $2000 for the gold material cost and stone setting, leaving $5500 for the diamonds. Now, without a report telling you about the quality of the diamonds, how do you know what value the diamonds would be worth?

If it haunts you in the morning, please consider negotiating a contingency whereby you can return it if the diamonds are man made or with grading lower than expected.

Reactions: T L

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you need it? No
Is it gorgeous? Yes

The only concern now is the pricing. I would try my best to negotiate, especially once the other deets (verification) checks out.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like it might have cutting issues due to the elongations in one axis (relative to the other). I would personally have passed and put the money aside for something else (i.e. jewels by grace has a nice 3 ct (?) emerald which is only a few k more expensive.).
Yes, I think it has a bow tie/window

The step pear cut has my attention, the colour of the aqua is not objectionable & the setting is not something I would do to myself, but nothing is hanging loose much that I can tell. It seems straightforward to have such a thing done for 6K-8K & who knows what is possible below - the colour of the aquamarine is not so extraordinary to have to have it else wait a hundred years.
ctd.

This is an aqua I wanted to remember for its cut www , these for colors www ... Litnon used to do step cut pears beautifully.

2c
Thank you for the links! It gives me a better idea of aqua pricing. You’re right about the color not being a showstopper. I’m mainly drawn to the step cut shape.

8000 without report? Never.

With pricing like that, it'd be <$1500 for the aqua, $2000 for the gold material cost and stone setting, leaving $5500 for the diamonds. Now, without a report telling you about the quality of the diamonds, how do you know what value the diamonds would be worth?

If it haunts you in the morning, please consider negotiating a contingency whereby you can return it if the diamonds are man made or with grading lower than expected.
I didn’t sleep well at all, but it wasn’t the aqua haunting me. I have emeralds on the brain!

Do you need it? No
Is it gorgeous? Yes

The only concern now is the pricing. I would try my best to negotiate, especially once the other deets (verification) checks out.
I just can’t bring myself to deal with haggling and the logistics of getting a report. I guess that’s my answer there.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The pear is perfectly proportioned, and that helps the piece a whole lot.

However it looks like the color is concentrated round the rim of the stone with the center being very low in color. Also likely it has window.

I think I would want a beautiful, uniform, and deeply colored aqua for $8K.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aquamarine is also not a rare stone in that color/tone/size. You could investigate creating something similar. It’s not like you’re trying to go after a rare colored alexandrite or ruby.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pear is perfectly proportioned, and that helps the piece a whole lot.

However it looks like the color is concentrated round the rim of the stone with the center being very low in color. Also likely it has window.

I think I would want a beautiful, uniform, and deeply colored aqua for $8K.
Aquamarine is also not a rare stone in that color/tone/size. You could investigate creating something similar. It’s not like you’re trying to go after a rare colored alexandrite or ruby.

Both excellent points. I find it difficult to pay such a handsome sum for a gem that is, after all, not extremely rare.

Reactions: T L
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results