shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I have to dry clean it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a throw from Restoration Hardware that says dry clean only. Can I wash it in a gentle cycle or will it totally mess up the fabric? Its 55% rayon, 30% wool, and 15% cotton. It''s getting pretty dingy
emcrook.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not the best person to ask b/c I never dry clean OR hand wash my stuff. Guess I am lucky b/c nothing tragic has happened yet.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
If it says "dry clean only"...it means it. Spend a few extra bucks and take care of your things...I have a lot of RH throws, and they aren''t cheap...personally, I''d rather spend $10 or $15 taking care of my things accordingly to ensure they last.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Would the cost of drycleaning be prohibitive? If you destroyed the piece b/c you washed it, would you be heartbroken? These are the questions I ask myself......

Thing is, I tend to dryclean everything. My "laundry" bill is significant. But that is different, than if you are only doing one random piece here and there. MIght be worth the piece of mind if you want to keep it in great shape. It is the rayon component that would give me pause.

That said, since I bought my new LG washer/drier--I dryclean less; and things I would normally dryclean go in the washer with great success.

cheers--Sharon

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
The general rule is that things that say "dry clean" can be handwashed and layed out to dry. Things that say "dry clean only" really should be dry cleaned.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rayon can be satanic. I would definitely dry clean only if that's what the tag says! I'm picturing the results of hand washing as something very much smaller and wrinkled by the time it dries.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Ok... I guess I''ll dry clean it. I thought I''d be productive and wash it tonight but I''ll wait. Darn rayon!
3.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
You could also use DRYEL. It''s an at-home "dry clean" that you use with your dryer. I use it all the time. It works great, eliminates odors and removes most spots.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 10:58:10 AM
Author: somethingshiny
You could also use DRYEL. It''s an at-home ''dry clean'' that you use with your dryer. I use it all the time. It works great, eliminates odors and removes most spots.

As much as I love Dryel I don''t think it will work for a huge throw (will it fit in that bag?) and also IMO Dryel isn''t great when something is really dingy.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dryel never worked right for me. If an item is "dry clean only," you should just bite the bullet and pay to get it cleaned. I tried machine washing a dry clean only throw (a cheap one rayon one from World Market) and it feel apart. It was very drepressing as it was so cute.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 8:25:01 PM
Author: canuk-gal
Thing is, I tend to dryclean everything.
Just to add to Canunk-Gal''s post, I do dry clean everything that is suppose to be. It''s kind of frustrating at times because I''ll find a super cute $15 scarf at Nord rack and find myself spending nearly three times that much each season to keep it clean, but that''s part of the responsibility of buying/owning a special-care garment.

When it comes to "throws," and other blankets, I ALWAYS buy cotton ones that can be machined washed because I like them fresh and crisp for having by the couch for me and Dh to cuddle under!
1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never dry clean things, I hand wash them. I''ve had issues with wool things shrinking in the washing machine on delicate so I don''t do that.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I disagree that if an item says "dry clean only" that is the only way it can be cleaned. Yes, you should exercise caution when cleaning things yourself, but know that putting "dry clean only" on a care label is also a way for a company to cover its butt. (I have a degree in Textiles, Apparel, and Merchandising.)

The Dryel kits are great, I''m a fan. I''ve used them with wool garments and other delicate fabrics as well and had no issues. I think you could probably use Dryel for your throw as long as it is small enough to fit in the bag (the bags hold up to 4 garments if that gives you an idea).

Something else I think people don''t know about dry cleaning is that the chemicals or solvents used are actually really tough on garments. The more you dry clean an item, the quicker it will break down. If you wear a suit to work every day, invest in a valet where you can hang your suit pieces so they air out rather than stuffing them back into your closet where they don''t get as much air circulation.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I generally translate "hand wash" as throw in the washer in a lingerie bag on the delicate cycle, and "dry clean" as avoid washing until its really dirty, then hand wash. I also take into account how much I care about an item--the more I care, the more careful I am (so that "hand wash" cashmere sweater really does get hand washed).

If it were me, and assuming I wouldn''t be devastated if the throw got messed up, I''d hand wash it. Carefully though, rayon tends to get weak when wet.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I had decided to just dry clean it but I got on one of my cleaning sprees again today and decided to just go for it! I washed it on a gentle cycle and even dryed it for just a few minutes. So far it looks pretty good (still needs to air dry)! It looks slightly more textured than before but it didn''t shrink or anything. The fringe on the ends even still looks good. I wouldn''t have risked it if it were really expensive or sentimental... but I got it on clearance and, while I do love it, I wouldn''t have been heartbroken it anything had happened to it. I appreciate all of the advice from everyone though!

I also washed my Pottery Barn slipcovers and cushion covers according to the guidelines on their website... that didn''t turn out so great
emotion-18.gif

The cushions are fine but the chair slipcover seems to have shrunken and doesn''t quite fit back on. DH is convinced it will stretch back out like blue jeans... any thoughts? Its a brushed cotton canvas.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results