shape
carat
color
clarity

do appraisers switch your stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
just being cautious, when u get ur ring or loose diamond appraise to check to see if it''s the actual one you purchase, what''s the chance/odd of the appraiser switching your stone to something else and saying it''s not the right one u bought?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I was in the room with the appraiser the entire time so there was no chance for that to happen.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
The chances of something like that happening to a pricescoper is virtually impossible!

My diamond is laser inscribed on the girgle..but even if it wasn''t, from the moment it arrived, I inspected it with a loop. I know my diamond, like I know the back of my own hand!

Blod
31.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Gosh. I can’t speak for all appraisers but the chances of me doing that is zero. I encourage all of my clients who are interested to watch the entire process, ask whatever questions they care to and to monitor the stone(s) the entire time. If you hand carry the stone to the appraiser, watch the whole process and take it with you when you leave, you can feel fairly secure. Actually, I think your risk of a stone switch by an appraiser is pretty low under any circumstance, whether you watch or not.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

blitz

Rough_Rock
For an "Appraiser" to switch a stone would mean risking his/her career, jail time etc.
Just like Neil, I would never do such a evil deed. I would be shocked if anyone of us gemologist/appraisers with years of vested time, money commited such a sin.

But I as others, do understand that every client has a different comfort level and we do what we can to make you comfortable, which includes but is not limited to having you present the entire evaluation time.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the phrase, "Trust but verify".

Buy a loupe.
Know you stone's inclusions.
Girdle inscriptions can be duplicated.
If someone is dishonest enough to swap stones he is dishonest enough to copy your girdle inscription.

Personally, I'd also watch.

To remain in this business appraisers must understanding about this healthy skepticism.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
not that i''m planning on doing this, because i''ve learned better :O)

but

there are a LOT of places around that will not allow you to stay - they send your diamond off someplace else to be appraised.

many places told me they would never trust someone who can do the appraisal with me there, which i found an odd thing to say..and quickly said ''umm, well, i''m not comfortable leaving my diamond with you for a week'' and said goodbye..but that having been said.....

i can understand the concern!

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think any appraisor would risk their reputation for one stone. That is ridiculous. Now for a 20 million dollar stone that is diff! hehehe

It is your job to know your stone anyway. That is why inculsions under a loupe are good or inscriptions or gem print. Have them show you your stone under magnification before and after if you are so concerned.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly don't think that a reputable appraiser would switch a stone. It's just not worth the legal fees, jail time, ruined reputation/career and other such consequences. I can't say that it will NEVER happen though. There are some shady folks out there that would do stupid things. To protect yourself, I would suggest the following:

1) Choose a reputable appraiser that you are comfortable with. The appraisers listed in Pricescope have great reputations. Some do extensive phone consultations or personal consultations to help you understand the whole thing and maybe put you a little more at ease.

2) Ask the appraiser if you can be present during the appraisal. I had mine appraised in Boca Raton by Rockdoc and I live in Pensacola, so I couldn't be present during the appraisal. However, he gem-prints the stone and videotapes the process from the moment it arrives so that there is no mistaken identity of the stone. He also take NUMEROUS pictures of the stone from every angle with magnification so you can clearly see any inclusions.

3) Know the stone in and out! If there are any inclusions, make sure you know what they look like and their specific location. Then when you get it back, all you have to do is go to a jeweler and ask to borrow their loupe, or use your own if you have one, and look for these identifying marks. If the stone is laser-inscribed, know the inscription and its location so you can find that later as well. I had mine gem-printed and registered, which cannot be duplicated. I'm not sure who else does this, but Rockdoc does.

4) If your stone is certified, you can also compare the stone to the specs. This is more difficult though since the average person doesn't have the tools (or enough knowledge) to do such a thing.

I'm no expert, but this is what I've learned from personal experience and advice from others. Hope I helped. Sorry to those other wonderful appraisers for only referring to Rockdoc, he's the only one I actually had experience with.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 12:03:40 PM
Author:freddy2005
just being cautious, when u get ur ring or loose diamond appraise to check to see if it''s the actual one you purchase, what''s the chance/odd of the appraiser switching your stone to something else and saying it''s not the right one u bought?
Not unless they want a 5 ct. to get them 20.
2.gif
I would trust any of the regulars here, and one guy in my hometown. Most others I might be hesitant unless I was present. I would not have a prob with our regular PS appraisers however.

shay

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It takes decades to build credibility and a good reputation. No one who had invested so many years and effort into the construction of their credentials and reputation would would put all of that at risk for the sake of a quick single profit. Of course, it could happen, but it would be most extremely unlikely.

Knowing the internal characteristics of your diamond, having documentation of its quality, and possibly having it laser inscribed, all would play some role in assuring you of never having such a problem occur. If someone insists you leave your diamond for any work or service, be certain to get a written receipt which includes a description of your diamond. Preferably a clarity plot that you agree denotes the characteristics of your diamond could be included in such a description receipt.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/9/2006 5:48:23 PM
Author: oldminer
It takes decades to build credibility and a good reputation. No one who had invested so many years and effort into the construction of their credentials and reputation would would put all of that at risk for the sake of a quick single profit. Of course, it could happen, but it would be most extremely unlikely.

Knowing the internal characteristics of your diamond, having documentation of its quality, and possibly having it laser inscribed, all would play some role in assuring you of never having such a problem occur. If someone insists you leave your diamond for any work or service, be certain to get a written receipt which includes a description of your diamond. Preferably a clarity plot that you agree denotes the characteristics of your diamond could be included in such a description receipt.
Dave is right. It takes decades to build credibility and a good reputation. No professional with a conscience would risk destroying his good name and reputation.
We take our role in the industry very seriously and will take the time to make you, the consumer, as comfortable with the appraisal process as possible.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I only switch stones on Friday, when I need money for the weekend.

Otherwise, you''re safe Monday through Thursday.

What''s that, a 20% chance?

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Now Rich...you are getting my ring tomorrow...don''t go switching that stone on me since it''s Friday. I haven''t even gotten to wear it yet lol!
Anxiously awaiting your detailed report and to wear my beauty...Wink was going to ship it to me overnight but I reminded him that I paid you already so he is gladly shipping it to you overnight instead
2.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got my diamond set I brought in the original GIA report and a couple photocopies.

I insisted the jeweler write on the receipt that he verified that the inclusions he saw in my diamond, the diameter he measured, and the color he saw matched the GIA report.
Then he wrote down the GIA report # on the receipt.

I did not leave the original report with him, just the copies.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I am awaiting the arrival of your stone with great anticipation, Small.

Those Infinity cuts are really hard to switch, so you''re safe for now.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 10:03:50 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Yes, I am awaiting the arrival of your stone with great anticipation, Small.

Those Infinity cuts are really hard to switch, so you''re safe for now.
LOL...what a relief LOL!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Probably not!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results