shape
carat
color
clarity

DIY printing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
We are thinking about printing our own invitations but my current printer gets jammed everytime that I put our card stock through it.

I am thinking about buying a new printer. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of printer I should buy? I''m not even sure if I should buy color or not... Can I print color borders? That just doesn''t seem like it would work. Or could I print color font? We were thinking about using an eggplant colored font but we can go with black if that doesn''t work with a regular printer.

Thanks!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would first check to make sure you can't change paper settings on your printer. Some printers will allow you to specify what type of paper it is (other than standard white paper) and it will accommodate it. Others will not.

And yes, if you have a color printer, you can print color fonts and borders. You'll have to mess around with the color mixing in Word or whatever program you're using, but you should be able to print in eggplant purple without a problem.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
Nice, thanks for the input. I''ll check my printer.

If my printer is not good enough, do you have any recommendations on what printer I should buy?

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t give any suggestions on what printer to buy, but if you don''t want to get a new printer JUST for wedding invitations (i.e. if your old printer works fine otherwise) I know you can get invitations printed at Kinkos or Staples or one of the other office supply stores pretty inexpensively. I think someone on here recently did that and it cost a lot less than I imagined it would (I want to say $20 but I don''t recall how many invitations they had printed). Plus, the people there are printing pros, so they could probably do it in a lot less time than you could. Just a thought... Good luck!

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. Based on what I''ve been reading it sounds like it would be easier to take it to a local print shop or to kinkos. I think that''s what we''re gonna do... Thanks!

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 1:15:09 PM
Author: njseeker
Thanks for the feedback. Based on what I''ve been reading it sounds like it would be easier to take it to a local print shop or to kinkos. I think that''s what we''re gonna do... Thanks!
I was going to take mine to a print shop, but keep in mind that they won''t be able to print on paper that was already cut. I was told by both Kinkos and Staples that they can''t print on anything smaller than standard 8.5x11" paper. If yours isn''t cut though, you should be fine.

I ended up printing mine at home and they look great. I just used my 6 year old HP deskjet... nothing fancy at all. I did have to play around with the paper settings though to get it just right.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have an exact model to recommend, but there are some really reasonable printers on the market. Especially if you aren''t looking for a wireless one. You can find one between $50 and $200 at Staples or OfficeMax. You could also do some online consumer review research by googling "color printer reviews".

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know if this will help or not, but I printed my DIY''s at home, too. I found that my printer only sucks the paper in if the tab thingie is moved to the right, so the cardstock sits almost flush with the right side/edge of the printer. I also had to sit there and guide each piece in by hand so they would come out straight. Major PITA, but it worked.
Oh, and once you hit the print button, make sure you go into Print Preferences or Print Settings. Most printers have a "High, Standard or Low-quality" drop down menu. I used the High-quality, and also bought high-quality ink. They printed up pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results