shape
carat
color
clarity

DIY Invites - Finished + OUT! Pics Inside...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it is such a HUGE relief to have these done. I don''t think I would have done them myself if I''d realized how much work they would be, but now that they are done and out, I feel much better. The calligraphy was done by A Fine Letter, everything else by yours truly, with a bit of help from family, FI and one bridesmaid:

envelopes:
47b6db34b3127cce897cf253e7df00000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

Outside of Invite:
47b6db34b3127cce897ce357a74b00000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

Inside (stamp is embossed on with black ink and clear embossing powder):
47b6db34b3127cce897ce367a77b00000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

Inserts: Reception Card (had directions on the back), and Response Card (had entree choice on the back), both tied in with the burgundy ribbon, as shown:
47b6db34b3127cce897ce376265a00000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

47b6db34b3127cce897ce362264e00000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Those are absolutely gorgeous!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

How did you do them?? Please tell us a bit about the process!!! I looooove them!!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo pretty! Love the colors, the fonts, the ribbon touches - they don''t look DIY at all to me.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much you guys - now I feel embarrassed for complaining!
1.gif
12.gif

FG - I was so worried they would look home made and tacky because of that, so its REALLY good to know that even though they aren't perfect, they still look OK.
9.gif

Albi - basically, I bought all the burgundy card stock pre-cut in standard sizes, then I printed out all the inserts and the invite piece, and cut those out and also cut out the shimmery pink border paper in between, then adhered everything together (the inserts are both double-sided). The cherry blossom paper on the outside is from Paper Source, and I had them cut it, and the labels are from MyWeddingLabels.com. The ribbon is just threaded through two slits on the top and bottom of the inserts and tied to keep them in. Oh, and the cherry blossom stamp was stamped onto the invites and reception cards in black ink, then I used clear embossing powder to make it shiny and raised off the paper, though you can't see that in the pics. I think the main time-consuming thing was cutting everything to the right size, over and over and over again... But I'm so glad that you guys thing they look nice!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Amber where did you get the cherry blossom stamp?!? I've been looking for one like it
4.gif
You're invites are beautiful! Great job
36.gif

Oh, and the calligraphy is amazing too!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Sunkist - the cherry blossom stamp is from Paper Zone, but I''m sure there are other companies that sell it too. If you can''t find it, let me know and I''ll try to look on it when I get home and see if there''s the name of the company that makes it on the stamp itself.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Holy cow, Amber, your invites look spectacular! I''m so impressed! You should be very proud of your work. Your guests will be so excited to get such a lovely invitation in their mailboxes!
36.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Brightspot - that''s such a lovely thing to say
1.gif

I don''t remember if I posted in the thread with your wedding pics or not, but you were so beautiful on your wedding day - Congratulations!
9.gif
36.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
They are fantastic, very professional looking. I''m planning to do my own, too, and am happy to see other DIYs that look so great. Plus, looking at them closer just now I saw that you and I have the exact same first and middle names!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Selkie - best of luck with yours. They are a lot of work - I would really recommend starting WAY earlier than you need to, getting twice as much materials as you think you need (especially things like adhesive), and making sure you have friends/family/FI who have committed to helping you and actually have time to do so. That''s so funny about our names! I''ve never met another Rebecca Anne before, though I''d be willing to bet we don''t have the same last name (I really don''t like mine and can''t wait to change it).

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
WOW! These invites are really some of the coolest I''ve seen in a very long time. They are so original yet classy and beautiful! I love the fonts you chose to use, they are really wonderful. You should start doing this for a living or something. The colors are great too, I love the maroon envelope.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hey Amber I think I found it! Is this is? Its size is 3.25"x 4.5". I found it at Addictedtorubberstamps.com. I'm going to keep looking around here. Some of these stamps are gorgeous!

591968cherrystp.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Antigua Bride - those are such sweet things to say! Thank you SO MUCH. I was really starting to feel kind of discouraged and like it had all been a big waste of time, but knowing that people are actually impressed by them helps SO MUCH.
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Sunkist - that is it, although to make it colored like that would be a huge pain, I''d imagine. You''d have to hand-stamp it then hand-color in the colors they show there. Nice detective work though!
2.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2006 5:27:36 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Thanks Selkie - best of luck with yours. They are a lot of work - I would really recommend starting WAY earlier than you need to, getting twice as much materials as you think you need (especially things like adhesive), and making sure you have friends/family/FI who have committed to helping you and actually have time to do so. That''s so funny about our names! I''ve never met another Rebecca Anne before, though I''d be willing to bet we don''t have the same last name (I really don''t like mine and can''t wait to change it).

Oh, I''ve started already, with the testing and buying paper samples and such. And the wedding isn''t even until July 2007! Luckily, it''s small, too (under 50 people). How many did you end up making? How much of a PITA was the stamping and embossing powder, because I''m doing the same thing, and the test runs so far have been pretty ugly. Of course, I was trying to use colored powder on top of a colored stamp. I bet the clear stuff is a lot easier to deal with...

Are you keeping your middle name, or changing it to your maiden name?

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
WOOOOWWW!!! They look awesome!!! You did such a great job!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks HouMedGal
1.gif

Selkie - we ended up making about 65. Our guest list started at 130, got cut down to 46, then grew back up again - right now we''re expecting about 60 people to actually show up, which I think would be perfect. Honestly, the embossing wasn''t too bad - I used colored powder in my STDs. The trick is to get set up to do a bunch of it at once and put plenty of paper under where you''re working to catch all the embossing powder spills.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
They look wonderful!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
ooooh- those are so pretty! I like the burgundy/wine color- that''s the color I''m shooting for.

I really want to make my own, and love it when you gals share yours. It gives me inspiration!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i''m super impressed by your invites -- they look smashingly good!

perhaps a career in design awaits???

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lulu, Charger and Rascal - you guys are really sweet
1.gif

Charger - I''d think carefully before deciding to do your own and make sure you really have the time, patience, and most importantly help from family and friends, especially if you''re making more than about 20 or so of them.

Lulu - that''s so funny you should say that, I''m actually in graduate school getting my PhD in Immunology (I do HIV research) at the moment, so design is not a likely career choice, but I do love art and design and I''ve been trying to make time to take art classes on the weekends as something for "myself." I admire people who can make a career of their creativity, I just don''t think I would ever have the confidence in my own abilities to do that.

Selkie - sorry I didn''t answer your name question. I am keeping my current middle name and dropping my maiden name entirely - trust me, its better that way. My maiden name as last name is confusing to people, and as a middle name it would be a nightmare. Fortunately Rebecca Anne HisLastName sounds nice, especially since we''re trying to revert to the traditional pronunciation of his last name, which sounds kind of fun and exotic.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I just found this thread while doing a search for DIY invites, and I have to say AmberGretchen, yours are GORGEOUS!

When I was in my teens, my mother and I got on a big stamp kick... hand carved ones in wood from India, you name it. You inspire me.

Not only that, but I'll actually be able to put those calligraphy lessons to good use!

Just amazing. They outstrip any invitation I've ever gotten or seen in person.

Edit: Did I mention I'll have at least two years stuck in the middle of nowhere while my FF goes to school to work on them?
28.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks galateia - they really were a huge hit - I''m still getting compliments on them here 4 (ACK!) days before the wedding!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Now that I've done my own invitations, I'm so much more aware of others' DIY ones and how much work goes/went into them!

AG, these are gorgeous!! I am in love with all the cherry blossom designs at Paper Source -- I'm envious that you actually got to put them to use! They have these soy candles there right now with cherry blossoms on the glass -- sooo lovely. (ETA: I think those are cherry blossoms?)

cb_snowgraham.jpg

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
OH, and GOOD LUCK in FOUR DAYS!!!
4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results