shape
carat
color
clarity

DIY Chemical Peels

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Make Up Artist's Choice website offers a variety of different chemical peels that vary in intensity from a very light peel with no downtime to a very deep peel with several days worth of downtime. From what I can see, the instructions are easy enough to understand, do the prep, swipe the stuff on, wait the allotted amount of time, then neutralize, and if the peel requires, slather down with Neosporin. The testimonials are incredible. Their skin is completely transformed!

I am wondering if any of you have tried this? I would be too afraid to do anything too deep, but I am considering doing something a bit more superficial. It would be great to hear from someone who has actually done this before taking the leap.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've not. If I could find the peel I had done a few times to do it at home I would totally be on board tho.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1426433890|3847529 said:
I've not. If I could find the peel I had done a few times to do it at home I would totally be on board tho.
What peel was it? What were your results? I am fascinated by this process of chemicals peels. People seem to be having beautiful results!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do at-home peels and I have purchased specifically from that site. I use the Fade Peel (30% glycolic acid/20% lactic acid). Have you had chemical peels before? If so, then your skin can tolerate more. If you've not had them done, I'd start our fairly weak until you get used to the process. Chemical peels can cause injury/harm when not used properly, so make sure that you follow the instructions.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1426434892|3847539 said:
packrat|1426433890|3847529 said:
What peel was it? What were your results? I am fascinated by this process of chemicals peels. People seem to be having beautiful results!

The first few I had done, I'm not sure what they were, and they were fine. But then they got in a new kind and asked if I'd be the one to try them out and give them my thoughts. That kind was Skin Medica. It was wonderful. It didn't stink as bad as the other kind-tho it did turn my skin yellow, which was kinda funny. We'd go to eat quick afterward and I looked like I had the worst case of jaundice. My skin has never looked more perfect tho as it did when I got those peels. I think I did three or four of the Skin Medica ones. The other kind was about 6. They used to have a special, you could get 6 peels for $300. Then they quit running it and it was like $300 for one. So yeah. I quit.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I've had some pretty major peels done (where my skin sheds like a snake and I can't leave the house for about a week). I tried a series of Clear & Brilliant Laser treatments and I don't think that I'll ever go back to major chemical peels (other than the ones I do at home mentioned above). Clear & Brilliant gives me the same results as a major chemical peel with virtually no down time.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
For at-home use, I would recommend starting off with no more than a 20% solution of glycolic acid with a pH of 2.8-3.0 until you know how your skin is going to react (products with 10 percent or less glycolic acid are not really worth your money).
The one that you posted is definitely a safe choice (although it will yield limited results). You could start out with it and work your way up to 20%.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1426465716|3847798 said:
For at-home use, I would recommend starting off with no more than a 20% solution of glycolic acid with a pH of 2.8-3.0 until you know how your skin is going to react (products with 10 percent or less glycolic acid are not really worth your money).
The one that you posted is definitely a safe choice (although it will yield limited results). You could start out with it and work your way up to 20%.

ok, thanks! I do use Retin A cream and Obaji bleaching creme on my skin and it doesn't seem to be too sensitive.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^FYI - some docs recommend that you stop using retina a anywhere from a few days to a few weeks before a chemical peel based on certain variables (the strength of the peel, the individual's skin, etc.). Retin A can also sometimes be beneficial prior to using a peel (it preps the skin and can enhance the results). Just some things to keep in mind. If you don't think that your skin will tolerate a peel well, you may want to avoid your retina a product at least a few days before you plan to apply your peel.

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1426527668|3848086 said:
^FYI - some docs recommend that you stop using retina a anywhere from a few days to a few weeks before a chemical peel based on certain variables (the strength of the peel, the individual's skin, etc.). Retin A can also sometimes be beneficial prior to using a peel (it preps the skin and can enhance the results). Just some things to keep in mind. If you don't think that your skin will tolerate a peel well, you may want to avoid your retina a product at least a few days before you plan to apply your peel.

Thanks for the info...I'll probably stop for a few days since it will be the first time.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Groupon is running a special for an Obagi blue peel for $60. I looked into it and the salon does two coats of the 15% solution. I am considering it, but still haven't nailed down the logistics of having a blue face for more than a week. :lol:

Momhappy, I looked up the lazer you are using, it said it was for people who are generally happy with their skin and want to keep it that way. I would imagine that I would need to do some peels before I would qualify for that statement. Does this lazer provide any improvements?

When you do the at home peels, do you do your chest and backs of your hands? I find that my chest is more sensitive than even my face, but it is beginning to show some serious damage. I am green eyed and, even though my hair is brown, it is actually dark auburn and the sun just fries me. All of the sun worshipping stupidity of the 80's is coming back to haunt me now in the form of splotches on my chest and hands.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
JanesJewels|1426529535|3848105 said:
http://www.origins.com/product/3854/29709/Skincare/Daily-Essentials/Exfoliators/Modern-Friction/Instant-brightening-pads/index.tmpl

I use this product, and I think it's pretty good. I'm skeptical of the 30 per cent-equivalent claim, though. It hasn't helped with some deeper patches of pigmentation, so I've just started using Estee Lauder's new Cyber White line, which they swear by.

I'm too scared to try peels, so I use these products instead! :)

I've used these and they do not compare to the results that I get from a chemical peel - I do not believe the 30% claim either.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1426532132|3848132 said:
Groupon is running a special for an Obagi blue peel for $60. I looked into it and the salon does two coats of the 15% solution. I am considering it, but still haven't nailed down the logistics of having a blue face for more than a week. :lol:

Momhappy, I looked up the lazer you are using, it said it was for people who are generally happy with their skin and want to keep it that way. I would imagine that I would need to do some peels before I would qualify for that statement. Does this lazer provide any improvements?

When you do the at home peels, do you do your chest and backs of your hands? I find that my chest is more sensitive than even my face, but it is beginning to show some serious damage. I am green eyed and, even though my hair is brown, it is actually dark auburn and the sun just fries me. All of the sun worshipping stupidity of the 80's is coming back to haunt me now in the form of splotches on my chest and hands.

With the Obagi blue peel, much of the blue color comes off when the peel is removed. However, some patients can have some blue spots that last for a few days. The blue color is nothing compared to the shedding skin, so in terms of unpleasant side effects, I guess it depends on which bothers you more.
As far as the Clear & Brilliant is concerned, I am in my mid 40's, so I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm happy with my skin. I mean, I have lovely skin (if I do say so myself :oops: ), but I have aging that is typical of someone who used to worship the sun (wrinkles, fine lines, and sun damage). As I said before, I did a major chemical peel (the kind you leave on all night, wash off in the morning, and then watch your face peel off for the next 7 days :???: ) and the results I got from the C & B laser were about the same as the results from the major peel. Not having any down time whatsoever is what sold me. I can go about my normal life after a C & B treatment, whereas with a chemical peel, I didn't even want to go to the grocery store.
When I do at-home peels, I don't usually do my chest and/or hands. I use those daily peel pads (like the Origins ones listed above by another poster) on my chest & hands pretty regularly, which helps to combat my sun damage on those areas.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What does the laser feel like? Is it spendy? I've only had experience w/a laser for acne treatments and that sucked.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1426541090|3848198 said:
What does the laser feel like? Is it spendy? I've only had experience w/a laser for acne treatments and that sucked.

It hurts - I haven't had any procedures like this done that don't. It's like a roller type hand piece that punches teeny-tiny "holes" in your face. The first one I had done, I decided not to use numbing gel. It was painful, but tolerable. The second time I had it done, I used the numbing gel and it wasn't that bad (there are still some "sensitive" areas - like above the lip - that hurt). The thing to keep in mind is that the C & B laser treatment is a series of treatments (as opposed to one major chemical peel). I guess the trade-off is a series of treatments (which is typically more costly) vs. a one-time major chemical peel. Personally, I don't mind paying more and having a few more treatments if it means that I can function like a normal human being after each treatment.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to follow up with this thread and tell everyone that I started with the mandelic acid peel and the 5 acid body peel. The mandelic is very mild and made my face really smooth. I didn't do anything really dramatic, but I think it was a good training peel. It definitely prepared me for the process. The body peel is pretty good. It is like using a very strong aha lotion. I will definitely purchase it again.

The next peel I will purchase will definitely be a salicylic acid peel so that I can clear out pores. After that, I will go with something a bit stronger as I build up confidence and tolerance. So far, doing these peels isn't such a big deal.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1426438143|3847574 said:
Yes, I do at-home peels and I have purchased specifically from that site. I use the Fade Peel (30% glycolic acid/20% lactic acid). Have you had chemical peels before? If so, then your skin can tolerate more. If you've not had them done, I'd start our fairly weak until you get used to the process. Chemical peels can cause injury/harm when not used properly, so make sure that you follow the instructions.

Momhappy, I asked my derm about a peel a few years ago as I know many friends who have had them done in his office with great results. The doctor told me that he didn't thnk I would see a noticeable difference because I have worn sunscreen for so many years and don't have a lot of sun damage. Does that sound correct to you? I get the impression you take really good care of your skin. Did you see a noticeable difference? In all fairness the doctor may have been talking about a deeper peel as I believe that was what I was inquiring about. This discussion has made me what to revisit the subject with my doctor. I have very sensitive skin so would initially only have a doctor perform a peel until I know how my skin will react.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I've used these peels too. My skin is a lot smoother after! That said, I try to avoid using these during the summer because they make your skin more sensitive to the sun and I personally am not totally comfortable trusting just sunscreen after using a chemical peel.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1432479942|3880666 said:

Momhappy, I asked my derm about a peel a few years ago as I know many friends who have had them done in his office with great results. The doctor told me that he didn't thnk I would see a noticeable difference because I have worn sunscreen for so many years and don't have a lot of sun damage. Does that sound correct to you? I get the impression you take really good care of your skin. Did you see a noticeable difference? In all fairness the doctor may have been talking about a deeper peel as I believe that was what I was inquiring about. This discussion has made me what to revisit the subject with my doctor. I have very sensitive skin so would initially only have a doctor perform a peel until I know how my skin will react.

Peels are not just for those with sun-damaged and/or problematic skin - they can be preventative too. I think normal skin cell turnover is about 25 days, but it slows down as we age - chemical peels can help to increase cell turnover/exfoliate dead skin cells (which, of course, needs to be maintained with good skin care, sun protection, etc.). When I use them, I notice that my skin tone is a little more even and my face is bright & super-soft/smooth. I think that with regular use, you might not see major results (especially if you have good skin to begin with), but you could expect more even skin tone, a reduction in the appearance of fine lines, etc.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1432506764|3880781 said:
Calliecake|1432479942|3880666 said:

Peels are not just for those with sun-damaged and/or problematic skin - they can be preventative too. I think normal skin cell turnover is about 25 days, but it slows down as we age - chemical peels can help to increase cell turnover/exfoliate dead skin cells (which, of course, needs to be maintained with good skin care, sun protection, etc.). When I use them, I notice that my skin tone is a little more even and my face is bright & super-soft/smooth. I think that with regular use, you might not see major results (especially if you have good skin to begin with), but you could expect more even skin tone, a reduction in the appearance of fine lines, etc.

Thank you so much for the information Momhappy. It would be worth it just to see a reduction in the appearance of fine lines.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way I'd apply these chemical things to my skin, especially my face.

Cancer is rising and they don't know why.
Often they don't know things are harmful till decades after they've been in use.

I'll accept the appearance nature gave me.
If people think less of me because I don' t look """"""better"""""" the heck with em.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results