clarity

DIY Cardbox Question

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I want to do my own cardbox. Something similar to this:
http://diy.weddingbee.com/topic/cardbox-complete

or this:
http://diy.weddingbee.com/topic/diy-cardboxmy-1st-of-many-projects

I want square, but am having a hard time finding boxes.

I want to cover in either fabric or scrap book paper.

The first box is fabric. How the heck do you cover something round and get the fabric that smooth?

has anyone made one of these? Or are you crafty enough to give advice?

My colors will be pink, black and white for the box. Our cake is a topsy turvy cake - round. So I want this to be bold like that to - different patterns every box. But I'd really like to contrast by having square boxes. I'm crafy enough to embelish it well enough if I can find good stuff. But it's the basic wrapping part that has me stumped. I may have to do round cause that's all the boxes I can find right now. And that really messes with my brain. I'm great at wrapping christmas presents in SQUARE boxes! lol. The round?? hmm. .. help!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Super cute!

I'm not particularly crafty, but I think those are just hat boxes? Searching square hat boxes, there is a set here or here that might work. There are probably cheaper options online, those were just the first I found. If you're super crafty, here are instructions on how to just make your own box which is extra DIY!

Or, since you're covering them anyway, couldn't you just use square cardboard boxes? Your local box/shipping store should carry those.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am planning to make one for my daughter's wedding, but it will just be one box. WalMart has a really nice size square Christmas box that I think will be perfect. Haven't seen sets of three, though!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
It's fairly simple...

You want to get spray adhesive and a straight edge of some sort (I recommend a craft boning knife, Martha Stewart has a nice one at Michaels).

Cut the fabric to size with a little overhang and little extra length. Work your way around the box, stretching and smoothing as you go. Don't try to do it all at once, work in smaller sections...spray, smooth and once that part is to your liking, spray a bit more, smooth...and so on until you're done. Tuck the overhang under the box for a seamless, wrapped look. Make it simple by giving yourself a bit extra on the length rather than trying to match up seams.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results