shape
carat
color
clarity

"Displaced" Grandma Rant...

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Warning...this is a rant. Anythng I say cannot be used against my normally cheerful self.

I am Soooooooooooooo Pissssseeeeeedddddd!!

For those of you who don't know, my daughter gave birth to my second granddaughter on June 22, 2011. She had the lovely natural water birth she had wanted with her first born (but didn't even get close to having). Aside from newborn reflux, Mommy and baby are fine.

Three and half weeks post-birth last Wednesday, DD gets a call from regional H.R. to basically inform her of a region-wide restructure and tell her about certain positions that were "impacted" by the change. Furthermore, the four people in my daughter's classification would have to come in on Monday (this week) and interview for their positions as they were only going to retain 3 of the 4 employees.

Well, for those of you who know me...every cell in my body was sounding like alarm bells screaming at me "They are going to lay your daughter off before she even gets to use her Paid Family Leave and totally screw her and they are going to get away with it". Recognizing she was still on disability from the birth they offered to perform the "interview" over the phone. I wish she would have said "Sorry folks, I am on disability but I will be more than happy to interview upon the expiration of my maternity disability leave" That is not how she rolls, nor did we realize the financial implications of why the company was in such a hurry to get this done by month end.

Anyway, my poor daughter met me at the mall early on Monday to find something suitable that would fit her "I just had a kid" body. Then I watched the baby while she went in for the "interview"...10 minutes. Totally pretextual crap. You'd think they would have just saved my daughter the hassle and released her on the first phone call. They called her today to inform her that she was being "displaced"

She has worked there since she was 17 and I am just beyond livid because I am that protective Mommy type. Remember the wedding gown? But right now, I just feel so helpless. At least I could fix that wedding dress.

Please don't tell me how illegal it is....blah, blah, blah... I know how big corporations protect themselves when they discriminate. I work for one...but at least my company would never..NEVER...do this to their employees. I just hope that they are open to negotiate the terms of their package because they need to insure that she is not robbed of her paid family leave that must be taken within 12 months and you must be employed to receive it.

I am so sad right now. I know my daugher is so sad. There are so many bright sides...health, stay at home with the kids..get better job...all of that...but right now, I just want to be pissed at her boss who had the nerve to keep my daughter after the interview to hear all about the birth. I do not respect her right now...nor will I ever be able to do so again.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
People suck. She's extremely lucky to have a great loving supportive mom though! I understand your anger, mess with me...fine but mess with my baby and the claws are out. As you already know, she'll get through it but it will be stressful and hard. I hope she'll be ok and not worry too much, hopefully focusing on her new baby will help with the hurt and anger.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That just stinks! I'm so sorry that your DD is going through this. I'm not sure that any companies have scruples these days (and I've worked for some of the "biggies" too). I'd consult an attorney if they try to take away her paid mat. leave. She was already on it when this occured and I have to believe that it can't be taken away...at least I'd hope so.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
That's pretty crappy, and low. I'm sorry.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Makemepretty... With a 22' month old and an almost one month old...I am sure she will have plenty to keep her mind busy. I will be off work with them all next week because SIL is on business trip. I need to be upbeat and positive about this.

Yenny...You are so right. Some people suck. The woman who did this has worked for this behemoth corporation for 28 years. I wonder how she would have felt if someone would have done that to her when she has 15 years seniority. 40 people are being displaced in this restructure throughout the region. it just should never have been my daughter. It should have been the young girl with less years who is covering for my daughter right now. It is all about money. So much for bailing the banks out. They took all the money and kicked people to the curb. We will have an attorney review the package and leave issues during the consideration period.

Dragonfly- Thanks. I agree. But we will get through this. They just bought a house about 6 months ago and had to get a car that would fit both kids. I am sure all of this weighing on her mind. I need to be light and airy next week...but I usually am when I am with my beautiful granddaughters.

trying to keep my eyes on the bright side....

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My niece almost went through the exact same thing as she had her baby in June. She is a teacher and could have taken a couple of years off and returned to work, but she is going back next week. Her school district had to cut a lot of programs and classes and many teaching positions were either reduced or eliminated and luckily her position was not cut.

Your daughter may want to look into the Pregnancy Discrimination Act http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-preg.html

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I too wish she had told them she was on disability and unable to come in for an interview. Very sorry about all this.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I am so mad for you and your daughter! Its really unfair to drag her in like that when they obviously had it all planned out beforehand.

Something similar happened to a friend of mine last year. Her entire department was downsized while she was on mat leave. They just sent her a letter one day saying her position no-longer existed. Initially they were going to pay out her mat leave and not give her a severance package. She fought and managed to get a severance package based on her mat leave pay (about 60% less than her regular pay). Still not fair, but she decided it wasn't worth taking it to the next level. Big companies suck sometimes!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
MR,

I am so sorry that this is happening to your daughter. I am an attorney and although I do not know the specific laws of your state, I believe that her paid disability leave will be honored in addition to any severance that is owed to her pursuant to company policy. If it makes you feel any better, I doubt that her saying she was on leave and couldn't come to the interview would have changed the outcome. Actually, I am surprised they even held interviews as that is a bit unusual to see in a downsizing. I will say that it would be difficult to prove pregnancy discrimination in this case because it is part of a general corporate reorganization/downsizing. While FMLA and anti-discrimination laws prohibit firing someone because of their pregnancy or having just given birth, they do not offer protection from termination for other reasons just because you are pregnant (i.e. for cause or due to layoffs). I am a working mom as well and I can imagine the stress your daughter is under - I hope that she can find a new position soon.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear this, unimaginable stress and pressure at a already busy time (two small kids!!).

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry to hear this, what awful timing and a very cowardly way of going about things.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Soocool: That is a bummer about your friend. It's a crazy world out there. I'm actually glad that my daughter will be out of her current dept. With any luck at all...she will start her own business or get re-hired by her former boss at a cut in pay but after she gets a free full salary for a substantial time. Then it would actually be a great thing!!

Herekitty: Me too!! If for no other reason than to mess with their travel plans to assume that all four people in her position would be there on Monday on Demand when she really had no leagal obligation to do so. And I new the outcome was already pre-planned.

November Bride: I hear you. I know employment law inside and out. It's why I have to bite my tongue in front of my daughter...although I usually fail in that department. I also know that corporations discriminate every day and use all sorts of pretextual reasons that protect them. I am not interested in blaming them from a legal perspective. I blame them on a much more secure outcome. Karma. Besides, in my family we bounce...and we bounce back to bigger and better things. But it's still a process and a shock even when you know it's all going to work out fine. Yanno? They just added stress at a time when she should be able to relax and enjoy her baby who isn't even a month old yet. They can take their karma and drive away for all I care.

But all I have to do to feel better is look at my first Granddaughter and I melt into a calm of joy!!

Veda 22 months.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
!

Wow, I'm shocked that this has happened to your daughter, Miracles. I'm livid for her, too. It's not fair, it's not right, and it sure as heck doesn't sound legal. What do I know though? I'm so sorry. Is there anything your daughter can do to try and fight this?

ETA: I just finished reading the thread, and I guess there's not much else you can do aside from having an attorney look over the paperwork. It just stinks.

What a beautiful picture of Veda and your daughter!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry to read about the struggle your daughter is dealing with right now when she should be enjoying her new daughter. Way to ruin her maternity leave. On a positive note, she has a beautiful family and a beautiful mom--inside and out. She will be ok. I just feel bad that this joyous time will forever be tainted in her mind. Being "let go" is a horrible feeling even when you know you have done nothing wrong :(sad

The evil corporation part of this thread really hits home for me right now. My husband has been with his company for 21 years. He has been on strike for the last 2 weeks bc they are trying to take away over 100 concessions in his latest contract. If my husband is forced to take the contract the way they offered it, he will no longer have a job when he returns. This is a company that has made record profits this last quarter and has been growing and growing in an economy where everyone else is doing badly. A company that pays NO taxes to the federal govt and even had the nerve to take a bailout despite making more and more money every year. They have already made in profits close to 9 BILLION this year alone (actual profits after paying everyone out). I am all for tightening your belt when necessary but when one has given up their entire adult life to help build a company form the ground up and then lose EVERYTHING they worked for in the process--its just wrong. And then the worst part is that the company straight out LIES to the media about the business in an attempt to justify these horrific cuts. They claim over and over that the division of the company that is being forced to make cuts is actually sinking when in reality this division is the backbone of the ENTIRE company and without these guys the entire corporation could not run.

Sorry about my rant within your rant. I have been trying to stay positive and not think about it but my entire family is about to lose our benefits bc the company has cut them off in another attampt to play hardball. Reading this thread has struck a nerve. Its a sad day in our nation that even when a company is doing well, they still choose to treat their workers like CRAP :nono:

April20

Ideal_Rock
You are correct that it's 100% about money. Companies always cut the old growth (AKA salary and experience) in favor of new! shiny! cheaper! I always say they get what they pay for.....

I was "restructured" out of my job of eight years, three years ago along with many other experienced ones. They kept the newest hired and newest promoted. And they got what they paid for. Several, several women that I know were on maternity leave and were also called and told their jobs were eliminated. Heck, they even eliminated positions of people on sabatical, and part of the terms of the sabbatical are that they are *guaranteed* a job when they return- just not promised their old position. But companies get away with this under the "guise" of restructuring..... Ugh. Hate it.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
April20|1313768850|2994290 said:
You are correct that it's 100% about money. Companies always cut the old growth (AKA salary and experience) in favor of new! shiny! cheaper! I always say they get what they pay for.....

I was "restructured" out of my job of eight years, three years ago along with many other experienced ones. They kept the newest hired and newest promoted. And they got what they paid for. Several, several women that I know were on maternity leave and were also called and told their jobs were eliminated. Heck, they even eliminated positions of people on sabatical, and part of the terms of the sabbatical are that they are *guaranteed* a job when they return- just not promised their old position. But companies get away with this under the "guise" of restructuring..... Ugh. Hate it.

I didn't think of it like this, but totally makes sense.

We're having the same problem with one of DH's clients. They keep on hiring on new, straight out of school programmers and cutting back DH's responsibilities. Its to a point that he can't possibly accomplish anything with the number of hours they're giving him (went from being on retainer for 45 hours per month to 14). They just got back to him saying great news, they want him to make them a mobile app! The problem, they want him to take a massive pay cut to come in at the same price as the new grads. Apparently they're having issues with the new people and want his expertise. Well expertise comes at a price!

They seemed pretty shocked to find out that they were one client of many, and his rates are not negotiable (well they are within reason, but not the $50 per hour discount they were asking for).

I'm seeing a trend and I don't like it!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry this has happened. I know your personality enough that you do see the bright side. But, I totally understand just needing to be pissed and I'm right there with you. It is downright nasty of that company.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
chemgirl: Totally predetermined. Absolutely. It's like humans have to give up their compassion and humanity when becoming the face of the almighty corporation. I am so glad I can sleep at night and would never do that to another person. I guess I will never make the big big bucks.

Hi Lottie UK!: I agree. The way they went about it is the most infuriating thing of all.

Centralsquare: Thanks. I agree.

Thanks Zoe and SomethingShiny. I really miss the both of you! I am doing much better today. Although I am sort of pissed that the company also ruined my vacation too!! At least I am taking a much needed vacation next week to be the family.

April20: I'm so sorry you've been there too. In all fairness, some companies that have to tighten up are trying to keep a blend of older experinced workers with new eager workers they can train. My daughter just got caught in the middle.

lbbaber: This is total rant zone. Feel free to rant on my rants any day!! It sounds like your husband is a victim of the financial sector as well. It's brutal because we KNOW they are LOADED!! It reminds me of the days before the Enron scandal when we were getting hosed by the electric bills which spiked up to four times their normal amount. Yet Enron swore they weren't gouging anybody. Then why the ridiculous profit? Ugh...I am so over the way the market and the government are driving us into the abyss.

But love still blooms, and lovers make beautiful new life, and in the youth I place our trust, because Lord knows the older generations are letting them down. :(

I hope my granddaughter will be part of the solution!! This Gramma is on a mission. :D

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miracles, I'm so so sorry to hear this. Money is the root of all evil, right? My husband and I went through something similar right after we had Aidan. He took an extra week off for pat leave because I had to have a c/s with Aidan and had a hard time with recovery. 2 weeks after returning to work his company laid him off. So there we were with a 5 week old, me out on disability at decreased pay, and DH who was arguably the major bread winner was out of a job. But we made it through and your daughter's family will to. ((hugs)) mama.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful child! Enjoy every second and congrats.

I didn't read all the posts except your first one, but I have to tell you that this is typical of corporations these days. They are riding roughshod over their workers because they figure they can replace them. Ridiculous! :cry:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hugs Miracles. What a PITA, but I know you guys--you're made of tough stuff and everyone will come out of this better than you went in.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck in the meantime though!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry!

My ex-employer tried to make me redundant a week after I told them I was pregnant. Fortunately my brother is a dispute litigation lawyer and we hired a top employment lawyer. It took a year, made me very ill for 5 months with the stress of it all, and I wouldn't want to go through it again or wish it on my worst enemy, but I won - we settled out of court for a substantial sum and a very, very senior head rolled soon after.

You do bounce back eventually - and onwards and upwards but it really sucks at the time. The worst is the sense of betrayal that you feel - I don't think I would ever feel loyalty towards another employer ever again.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
This totally suck.

But on the bright side you have 2 healthy grand daughters. And the picture you posted is priceless.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
OMG! That's terrible!! Is that even legal? In Australia, you are not allowed to fire anyone on maternity leave without paying them out? How do these people sleep at night?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results