shape
carat
color
clarity

Disney, flying w/kids, luggage etc

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have fun!!!! The plane journey for most children is all part of the experience so hopefully it won't be too bad....

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am excited for you! I would love to go back to Disney world. Both my kids think flying is a treat, so don't assume they will be scared. In fact part of the fun for my kids was to have their luggage and pack it, get ready for the trip. Also, most kids like the window seat, so be aware if you don't give them the seat they may be squirming and leaning over you to look through the window...

During take off and landing can't have internet connectivity, but I think after that they can use their kindle, esp if they have loaded content.

As far as luggage, yes to each having their own luggage! For me the most useful is a roller bag with handle that is small enough to be carry on. And then have at least 1 checked luggage for the family or adult for overflow. I've had good luck with TJ Max, the two pieces I got there (one is Kenneth Cole, I can't remember the other one) are still holding up 8 years later. I really prefer a change of clothes, swimsuits (if warm enough to swim) anything necessary or needed on a daily basis like meds to be on the carry on bag (or at least a day or so supply).

There are a lot of websites that give good information (probably more than you need) for your WDW trip. I am a planner, so each time we went, we got the food plan and I made reservations for our sit down meal to coordinate which park we were at and what itinerary we had. If you are on-site you may not want to schedule too many sit down meals (as it can get pricey), but I really found the sit down meals a nice respite from all the walking, and nice to not have to wait or walk to multiple restaurants trying to find an opening.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if we each have two changes of clothes, plus then what we wear down there, we should be ok since we can do a couple loads of laundry between the 6 of us easily. (jammies and swim suits etc of course) When JD and I went to Florida and then to Nassau in 2002, we were totally prepared for hot/cool weather, and we didn't need half of what we brought so it made it a big hassle having all that extra stuff.

One thing I want to look for is a set of goggles for each of the kids..maybe zappos has something. They've got the big honker ones and I'd like to get them each a smaller pair and nose plugs. Anything that can go in the new luggage for when we tell them about the trip. New stuff makes everything better.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Target has googles.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
We did Orlando and the Disney cruise over Xmas/New Years. My only tips....

Have a lot of change (at least a roll of quarters!) When you leave the airport if you are renting a car!
We passed through several toll booths getting to our hotel and had to go through the lines that had a cashier.

Try and do Universal (both if them!) Because the Harry Potter areas are amazing. My kids (6 & 8) found Universal much more interesting than WDW! It's too late for you now but if you had booked just one night at a Universal hotel (there's a few to choose, we were at the Loews) you get free VIP passes for 2 days (check in day and check out day) which are worth $90 per person per day! We never had to wait more than 15 mins on Any ride during the peak Xmas season! Well worth it and it took minutes to return to our hotel for a break/nap to during the day. This was seriously the best thing we did on our trip.

Enjoy your trip! We had a blast and would have substituted any if our WDW days for Universal instead. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shoot, that reminds me I need to get some dang goggles! ha!

Luggage tags came a couple days ago and they are awesome--luggage came today and I've not seen it yet. I just had mom and dad take the boxes..Trapper already was like "why does this box say camo and this box say owl?" They're onto us somehow, but they're not really sure exactly what's going on. We've been asked what it's like to fly, we've been asked if we've ever been to Disney, if we've ever been to Florida, and London said she needs to get a laptop case in just in case she ever were to go on a trip "like..maybe to Florida or somewhere", so she could take her laptop.

I told her just b/c she knows the code to my phone, it's still MY phone and she needs to keep her grubby mitts off'n it.

SO, I'm kinda hoping tomorrow they'll bring the stuff back in and surprise the kids. Debbie asked for a picture of the kids w/the luggage tags and I want to get that done.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
They got their stuff today--and I recorded it w/my phone, thinking there was going to be a huge reaction. Annnd..no. :loopy: I don't know if it's b/c they've never really seen anything about Disney, so it's just such an abstract idea to them that they can't comprehend it?

Dad wants to get together and figure out tickets. We have 6 full days. We thought one day for Sea World. So, five days to split between Disney and Universal. Thoughts??? Dad thought three days at one and two at the other, but it's just a matter of which? Or...two days at each and one day to sit around?? Is that a waste of a day?

Tickets are crazy expensive-yikes! I feel horrible b/c they're footing the bill for the entire trip.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, ticket prices are insane and go up every year. :nono:

For 6 full days, I would actually skip Seaworld altogether, unless you have a kid who is an aspiring marine biologist or something? It is fun, but not in the league of the other two. The other parks have soooooo much to keep you busy, and the tickets become less pricey the more days you stay at the same park. I would buy 4 days at Disney and 2 at Universal.

For Disney I would buy parkhoppers to give flexibility. Then I would plan a full day at Magic Kingdom, full day at Epcot, and a morning at Animal Kingdom with an afternoon at Hollywood Studios. For the last day I would probably do a morning at MK and an afternoon/evening at EP- depending on the interests of your kids. At least two mornings at MK are really necessary to hit all the headliners. Some kids love Epcot, and some don't, if yours aren't super into it, you could spend that second afternoon at a different park of choice (this is the advantage of park hoppers). This plan also works best if you have your own vehicle to avoid burning time waiting for the buses (although you can take the monorail back and forth between MK and EP, which is convenient).

For Universal, going during a busy time of year like you are, I would consider booking a hotel room at Loew's Royal Pacific for one night if you can. This will mean express passes and 1 hour early entry to one Harry Potter section each morning for both your check in and check out days- these things make such a huge difference to how much you can see and do and how pleasant your day will be! Two days are a good amount of time to see both parks. The Harry Potter sections are BY FAR the busiest, so prioritize these by going right at opening and just before closing.

I have a different thought about the packing and luggage- since someone in your party is already checking a bag then you have to wait at baggage check anyway, and since your checked bag is free then there is no real advantage in packing lightly- you won't save time or money. So I would pack everything needed for the week in checked bags so you don't have to do any laundry. This will be a very busy energetic week, you may appreciate not having chores when you could be napping or simmering in a hot tub. Just a thought. ;-)

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
EvangelineG,
Great advice ! I was going to say that each one of Disney's 4 parks need a whole day at least .

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
jeweln|1454337128|3985105 said:
EvangelineG,
Great advice ! I was going to say that each one of Disney's 4 parks need a whole day at least .

I would agree, except with at least two days for Magic Kingdom! Although I would happily spend more...so much to do there! :appl:

With wanting to hit both Universal and the Disney parks in a 6 day trip, I would do Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios as half days. Right now quite a bit is closed down at HS to make way for the new lands anyway, and that park is currently the weakest of the four IMO, and could be skipped altogether if you run out of time and energy (although that means missing Tower of Terror ;( ).

I would go to AK for rope drop and hit the biggies first as fast and furiously as you can before the lines build too much- Kilimanjaro Safaris, Expedition Everest, DINOSAUR and maybe Kali River Rapids (if it's hot and you don't mind getting really, really wet). Then I would do a show- Festival of the Lion King (fantastic and not to be missed!), or Finding Nemo the Musical (fun, not quite as good as the other one, but you really can't go wrong). You then might be able to squeeze in It’s Tough To Be A Bug before or after lunch depending on your timing, it's a cute show and gives you a chance to get close to the tree of life, which is cool, or you could check out some of the zoo exhibits (most of the other rides not mentioned above are thoroughly skippable). For lunch Flame Tree BBQ is a nice option- counter service, so cheaper and no ressie required or you could make an ADR at Yak & Yeti for a slighty more upscale experience (although just casual dining). This will give you a "best of" tour of AK when you are short on time.

I would have your fastpass+ reservations made for late afternoon/early evening for Hollywood Studios- one for either Toy Story Mania or Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster depending on tastes, and then one each for Tower of Terror and Star Tours. In between riding those, I would wander around using the phone app to see what has wait times that aren't ridiculous, and have dinner- Sci Fi Dine in and 50's Prime Time are cute, each need an ADR, but aren't expensive and make a nice break from crowds. Then you guys could catch Fantasmic to cap your day. You could consider doing a fantasmic dining package at one of the restaurants offering it for preferred seating for the show if you want.

There, that was fun. :) Hope it is helpful too.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Packrat, I don't have any advice about traveling to Disney with kids but I just want to say that I'm so excited for you, and that you really deserve a fun vacation. It will be wonderful! Take lots of photos - your kids will always remember special family times like this and will treasure their photo albums forever.

You must start a thread to tell us all about it when you return. Can't wait to hear about it! :appl:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like fun :) Don't worry, the kids will be fine with flying! Only time we ever had a problem was when they were really young and wouldn't sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time.. horrible! Just bring some games/cards of some kind to give them if they get too bored. If all else fails, let them eat candy, haha.. ;-) No point in buying expensive bags/suitcases, the airline will just destroy them. Much better to save the money for jewlery :) Personally, I like to make (force) my husband carry a small backpack for non-valuables such as an extra jacket etc for the kids. That way my cross-body can be nice and small (love Chloe and Saint Laurent versions) :) :naughty: :lol: Please skip the high heels.. based on extensive experience, they are not good for family holidays, haha :) And bring a nice book for yourself, flying is boring! Relax, kick back, and your kids will do the same! :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the continued help everyone!

They seem to be getting a little more into it, asking questions about flying etc. They have friends who have flown, so it seems to be a little less abstract to them now.

The kids w/their new luggage and our tags. Whiteflash calendar on the wall hahahahaha

untitled__24_.png

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pic, good lookin' bunch there, Packie!

You guys will have a great time!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha, we leave in a couple weeks and I just was checking the forecast so I can freak out b/c I don't know what to pack for clothes/shoes....it shows full sun and gorgeous 75-80 degrees--and then when we get there the clouds and the rain come bhahahaha sorry Orlando!

Zappos is going to get sick of me over the next couple weeks I think.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not certain when you are heading to Orlando, but wanted to bump this thread to wish you all tons of fun & good weather -- and to say that your kids are "as cute as Christmas!" (as we say in Ohio, or at least some Buckeyes do). What great smiles they have, and I bet you'll be seeing lots of smiles on this family vacation venture :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1454537132|3986458 said:
Great pic, good lookin' bunch there, Packie!

You guys will have a great time!

wot she said!

cheers--Sharon

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: Thanks guys! We're leaving tomorrow morning, bright and early. We've got to be to my parents that we can leave no later than 7, and we'll have enough time to eat breakfast at the airport.

Not done packing yet.. :rolleyes: I'm horrible about figuring out what I need to bring. I guess I need to spazz out and give myself more anxiety so I can be good and ready to relax this week ha!

Ohhhh but guess what? My dad had mentioned a couple times about pedicures, asking what they were like, and I finally got him convinced to get one! My mom broke down and got a manicure, and then London, myself and my dad did mani/pedi's! He decided he wanted to have nice nails when we went on vacation. And---he LOVED IT! He walked around and showed everyone his hands and then after, was on the phone to some friends to tell them about it and tell them to come next time hahahaha.

9194_10206871463320031_1154695570946691509_n.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
A fine time was had by all! Birthday boy on his first flight, London and I after our first round on Popeye's water ride and a bit of lounging by the pool on our last day.

_2635.jpeg

_2636.jpeg

_2637.jpeg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apparently I came back yesterday with the ability to turn pictures sideways and upside down. Sorry.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1459110728|4011793 said:
Apparently I came back yesterday with the ability to turn pictures sideways and upside down. Sorry.

Lol, drives me nuts when my pics do that and I can never figure out why when it happens...

Anyway, glad you all had so much fun!!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Deleted since I realized you already went! yay!!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results