shape
carat
color
clarity

Discouraged :(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Well I didn''t get the job I really thought I was gonna get. I''m getting really discouraged, because I''m 21, my ONLY job experience is vet tech, I''ve been doing it since I was 16. I am a HORRIBLE people person. I just KNOW I''d get fired as a waitress. I don''t want to do retail, because I need to be making $10/hr+ FT to even pay my bills, which my MOTHER is paying right now. Luckily SO and I live at his parent''s house until I can get a job and the rent here is low enough that he can pay it by himself. I can''t stand not being employed!

I don''t know if I''m going to be able to get my foot back into the door as a vet tech, I''m good at what I do, but I haven''t been doing it near as long as others. I don''t know what I''m going to do. I mean, I could work at Starbucks for example, but to me that''s hard to accept.

I HATE MONTGOMERY COUNTY, MARYLAND!!

Dust? I''m about to just give up. At least my diamond arrived today!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Dust...

Remember, you''re not alone and you will find the right job for you!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you are having such a hard time. When you say you are not a people person what do you mean? Do you get nervous around strangers? I know a lot of people don''t like to be on the front line so to speak. Maybe start looking for jobs where you are away from the public. There must be loads of jobs where you are working behind the scenes?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh I''m so sorry,,, DUST DUST DUST!!!! maybe another door will open. soon

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
TONS of dust headed your way.

Try not to get discouraged - it won''t solve the problem and will only make you feel worse.

I''m betting there are probably other things you can do that would help with your job search. I know you said you''re not good with people, but networking is so key. I''m like you I think - I''d often rather be with kitties than with people, but I had to force myself to get better at networking, and it worked - I''ve got my dream job and I''ll be starting in the Fall!

Can you also consider vet tech-type jobs in other settings, like at an animal shelter. Even if you started there as a volunteer, you could make great connections in the community and hopefully find opportunities to take advantage of - the shelter where I volunteer hires volunteers all the time.

What about going back to school? Could you get some additional certification and/or training that would increase your marketability?

I''m just throwing ideas out there, I know it must be super frustrating right now.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
I grew up in Montgomery County, still work in it, and will probably always consider myself a Marylander (I live in Northern VA, now). Small world!

Have you considered temping? It could expand your resume a bit and offer you a paycheck at the same time. I know there aren''t as many temp positions open now as there were before the economy tanked but there are still openings. Heck, my department has three temps right now, even though we''ve cut back on temp use. There are a number of temp agencies in the DC area.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 3:02:35 PM
Author:Feralpenchant
Well I didn''t get the job I really thought I was gonna get. I''m getting really discouraged, because I''m 21, my ONLY job experience is vet tech, I''ve been doing it since I was 16. I am a HORRIBLE people person. I just KNOW I''d get fired as a waitress. I don''t want to do retail, because I need to be making $10/hr+ FT to even pay my bills, which my MOTHER is paying right now. Luckily SO and I live at his parent''s house until I can get a job and the rent here is low enough that he can pay it by himself. I can''t stand not being employed!

I don''t know if I''m going to be able to get my foot back into the door as a vet tech, I''m good at what I do, but I haven''t been doing it near as long as others. I don''t know what I''m going to do. I mean, I could work at Starbucks for example, but to me that''s hard to accept.

I HATE MONTGOMERY COUNTY, MARYLAND!!

Dust? I''m about to just give up. At least my diamond arrived today!
Why would that be hard to accept? Sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do.....not to mention that Starbucks offers BENEFITS to even part-time workers. And as far as not "doing" retail, you can make plenty of money if you accept an hourly wage plus commissions.

Don''t limit yourself by thinking that you either wouldn''t be good at certain jobs, or that you''re overqualified. If you really want a job these days, you''ve got to remember how many other unemployed people you''re competing with. Good luck.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the support guys. I''m hoping that there is something better waiting out there and I just have to find it. I called my mom to vent and she said that everything happens for a reason and that maybe this is to lead me to something better.

I really appreciate that type of thinking and often try to think that way myself. "Everything happens for a reason". But sometimes life is just too full of curveballs!

Just needed to vent, I''m sorry if that post came across as whiny, I had my hissy fit, now I''m fine lol.

Just need to buck up and get back out there I guess.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I agree with your mom - there are opportunities out there for you, and you will find them. Its not possible to know what the future holds, so you just have to keep putting yourself out there as best you can, and stay open to whatever may be in store
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear that you didn''t get it. I''ve had that happen numerous times and it''s always a rotten feeling. You will find something else that you love.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry, on this times it''s so hard to find good jobs. I hope you will find something you like soon.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
big hugs, feralpenchant.

lots of dust going your way to keep trying, keep swinging, and keep hoping -

it''ll happen!

remember, life''s a marathon, not a sprint - the biggest tests are perseverance and patience :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results