shape
carat
color
clarity

disappointed in engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I was very happy with the service I got at Oscar''s Jewelry and Servis & Taylor.

http://www.oscarjewelry.com/ - I liked all the employees, located in the LA Jewelry District

http://www.servisandtaylor.com/ - just liked the owner, didn''t like the salespeople, located in West LA

You really need to know the market price for diamonds tho with those guys. You can bring a little cheat sheet if you want, once you''ve narrowed down the specs you''re looking for. I ended up buying from Oscar''s. Would have been comfortable buying from both places, even having done all my research here. It''s cuz I kept deciding btw 3 stones.

googies

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback Tweety.

Just to clarify:

My ERing was Coast and my band was Solana (I believe they are exclusive to RobbinsBros), which might be why it was so expensive ($1650). The centerstone was purchased separately from RobbinsBros and they charged me $200 to set it. I have been told $200 is expensive. I need to ask them why I didnt get a certificate for my diamond because I have talked to others who have gotten one from them.

I guess after posting here and getting feedback I feel like they ripped me off even more. I still have to find out what the deal is with my centerstone, but I understand we have to take some responsibility for not researching first.

googies

Rough_Rock
Those are nice!

When I said a budget of $4k I mean for the stone, ring & band. The current stone I have (.50ct) was $1,000.

You think I can still get a biggar stone including ring and band for $4k or a little more?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
They charged you $200 to set it??? That''s way too high!

googies

Rough_Rock
well....I am planning to give the entire ring back and go look elsewhere.
29.gif

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
sorry to hear about the bad news, I would do a little fact finding and see some of the different links of vendors here and see some of the Tools and resources

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
I''m sorry this happened to you. I also had a weird experience with the RB in San Diego (long story, different thread). I hope you will be able to work things out. If ever you are in San Diego we found this great jeweler, Charles Koll, which is a B&M but is located in the Fashion Valley Mall. They have great workmanship, specialize in "ideal-cut" melees, and are knowledgeable and friendly.

Good luck and keep us posted.

googies

Rough_Rock
JUST WANTED TO LET YOU ALL KNOW.....

I found out the diamond they put in my ring was P2 or I2. No wonder it had black spots!
29.gif
We were told it was an SI2. I guess this explains why they didnt want to give me a certificate.

Well...the ring is going back today(finally) for a full refund. Thanks to this site and all of you we are more educated now. I found some beautiful stones on Mondera.com that we are very interested in. I checked them with the HCA and they come up "excellent".

Anyone have any feedback on Mondera?

Thanks again for all your support and help!
26.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
GOOD FOR YOU for getting a full refund!!!!!!!

And SHAME ON THEM for trying to slip a bad stone by you!! (I''m shocked, actually...)

Now have fun on your new and more educated search!
35.gif

widget

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad you were able to get a full refund. The process of finding a stone and setting should be (and can be) fun. Enjoy your new search!

ChicagoDan

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the problems you had there. May the sales lady and the store owner be cursed with the fleas of a thousand camels!!

One thing you may want to consider is a smaller stone (.7 instead of .9) of higher quality. For the same price, you can get a rock that has better colour clarity, etc... and only sacrifice .5-1mm in diameter. You will appreciate the higher quality of the stone.

3 bits, adjusted for inflation.

Dan

googies

Rough_Rock
haha....that was funny.

I am considering a .75 stone from Mondera.com. Comes up on the HCA as excellent. I think the price is around $2300. Still looking though.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey,

I just bought diamond stud earrings from Mondera. The same stones were available by a bunch of vendors here on PS, but Mondera had uploaded the GIA certs so I could use the HCA like you did, and the prices were the lowest. You''re not going to get the upgrade policy or perhaps the same level of customer service as you might at another site, but I think that as long as you have done your research and know the crown and pavilion angles, you can get an amazing deal. The same diamonds were listed for 75% more by a well-respected PS vendor, and when I went into a local jeweler whose prices I''ve always been happy with, they had nearly identical earrings for more than twice the price (plus I had hand-picked my diamonds so I knew they were the cut I wanted).

If you let me know your parameters, I''ll see if I can find anything I like on Mondera.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
P.S. You said you really like the pave look. Have you looked at Blue Nile? They are very similar to Mondera but have more selections for settings. I didn't see any pave on Mondera.

18k with 1/5 ctw pave for $800

18k split shank pave for $800

18k knife edge pave for $800

18k pave and milgrain with 1/2 ctw for $1100

18k two row pave 3/8ctw for $1200

Check out the matching band link on the bottom for each. Sorry -- I could have searched by matching bands, but I didn't think of it.

Plus they have a variety in platinum.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think you ever might want to get a larger stone in the future, I''d really recommend sticking with Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash. You might save a few bucks at Mondera, but they do not provide the information on the stones that GOG and WF do, and the right to full value for trade-up on hearts and arrows stones is a big plus in my book.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 4:26:42 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
If you think you ever might want to get a larger stone in the future, I''d really recommend sticking with Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash. You might save a few bucks at Mondera, but they do not provide the information on the stones that GOG and WF do, and the right to full value for trade-up on hearts and arrows stones is a big plus in my book.

ditto. I think James Allen and engagementringsdirect offer trade up policies too.

googies

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 4:26:42 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Thanks for that info! Mondera actually had uploaded the GIA certificate so i was able to get detailed information, but I will definately check both those sites out as well as James Allen.

What about insurance. Is it always necessary and what it a good company?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes, you should get insurance. Did you see the thread about the woman who chipped her stone? You could accidentally damage or lose your stone, and then there''s always theft.

I just added it onto my condo insurance. It''s expensive relative to what we pay to insure our whole residence, but since I burned down my kitchen two years ago I realize how important it is to have.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results