shape
carat
color
clarity

Dire setting question!

Cryceratops

Rough_Rock
Hey all,
I've been reading pricescope for months but this is the first time I've felt like I needed to ask a question.

The knowledge here in the forums helped me decide to pick an AVC from GOG. I purchased a setting through one of their preferred vendors and the completed ring was sent to me just recently from GOG. I'm in love with the setting and stone but when I was inspecting the e-ring with a loupe I noticed that the prongs that were bent over the diamond had this excess of "flattened" metal where the prong touches the diamond. Is that normal?

There is one prong specifically that can catch onto sweaters at times and it always catches on a microfiber towel.

Also, underneath the cathedral setting, one large spot isn't polished and still looks rough casted.

Finally, the diamond looks slightly offset from above.

Are these things normal or am I just being paranoid?

I took my e-ring to a jeweler today and they said they could reset and fix the prongs for $50. I'm thinking of calling GOG tomorrow and seeing what I should do but I just needed some advice before I call them.

Thanks!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Call GOG! Especially if a prong is catching on things I'm sure they'd fix it.
I have a stone and setting from the GOG and I did notice that the inside of the cup setting that holds my diamond is unpolished, which I think is fairly standard. I don't think they do extra polishing unless asked. Prongs are easily mangled and I don't think I'd trust my setting to any random local jeweler unless I'd been happy with their benchwork in the past.

Cryceratops

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I'll definitely be calling them hopefully it won't be too much trouble. Thanks for the reply! I still wonder if prongs are suppose to have that excess metal on the diamond. humm!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's worth any amount of trouble to send back to GOG and let them handle it.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It's hard to know exactly what you mean without pictures. Prongs should be symmetrical, make the seller fix it if they aren't. Prongs should not have any gap between the prong and the crown of the stone. I like super sharp claw prongs, and even though mine are both of the above things they still catch tiny fibers like crazy so I wouldn't fret over that if the other two issues aren't there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results