shape
carat
color
clarity

Diplomatic Immunity ?

Should Anne Sacoolas be extradited to UK to face charges in teens death?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, this is utterly appalling. :x2 She should face up for this, even if it was an accident!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Diplomatic immunity applies to the spouses and minor children of diplomats. Unfortunately, it is often abused and used to for dodging the law. Diplomats and their families' conduct are representation of their country, so it is extremely embarrassing that Anne Sacoolas is fleeing her responsibilities and even more embarrassing for the entire US. She needs to go back and face the music.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Driving on the incorrect side of the road for the country you are visiting should NOT be be blown off as an accident.

It's irresponsibility and stupidity! :angryfire:

... likely texting, or alcohol related.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I read about this accident I remembered another car accident where 2 people were killed and there was speculation about the driver being on the wrong side of the road but I am not sure anything came of that. However this person stayed and faced the music and did the right thing. Despite it being a horrific accident where 2 people were killed. Does anyone else remember this accident?

For those of you who don't like to click onto links here are the highlights:

...snip...
In the hours before the accident, Broderick, who was then 25, and Grey, who was 27, pulled into a petrol station to ask for directions. After being told their chosen route was "just stupid", an off-duty policeman offered to lead them to the right road.
Broderick declined the offer.

Shortly after, there was a huge downpour of rain, and the Hollywood couple decided to take another break at a petrol station. This time, they found their bearings and waited for the rain to stop.
Less than a mile from the petrol station, 80 miles west of Belfast, they collided head on with a car driven by a 28-year-old woman named Anna Gallagher.
She was driving with her 63-year-old mother, Margaret, and both women were pronounced dead on arrival at Erne Hospital.

The road was reportedly straight and simple, spurring speculation the actor may have begun to drive on the wrong side of the road by habit.

Ken Ramsey, a local fireman on the scene, said the car had to be cut down the side to give Broderick first aid.
Ramsey recalls the actor kept repeating "Did I hurt them? Did I hurt them?", and that while Broderick suffered from a badly broken leg and facial lacerations, resulting in a four week hospital stay in Belfast, Grey only obtained superficial bruising.

Following the accident, Broderick was charged with causing death by dangerous driving, and faced up to five years in jail. He was later convicted for careless driving, and fined $175 for the accident, a fine the family of the victims reportedly called "a travesty of justice" at the time.
snip...

Anne Sacoolas is behaving unconscionably and unethically and is setting a truly terrible example for her children. I don't know UK law but it was a terrible accident and by fleeing she is making it that much more terrible. A boy was killed because of her. She needs to go back to the UK and accept responsibility. She can never make this right but she can help this family by returning and accepting responsibility and accepting the consequences whatever they may be. It was an accident but now it is more that that because she is making the reprehensible decision to run from doing the right thing.

:blackeye:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I believe the law is that, had she stayed and had there been sufficient evidence to charge her, she would most likely have been charged with causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving, with a prison sentence of up to 5 years. From what I’ve read, a more serious charge of causing death by dangerous driving probably wouldn’t apply, but that carries up to a 15 year sentence.

The prospect of up to 5 years in prison would make anyone panic, but someone claiming a diplomatic position, even indirectly, should surely, if anything, be held to a higher standard of accountability than others. It’s not great diplomacy to ride roughshod over the laws of the land she choose to be in...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... The prospect of up to 5 years in prison would make anyone panic ...

Panic maybe, but not everyone who's just killed someone's kid would run to dodge justice.
Well, not someone with good ethics.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results