shape
carat
color
clarity

Diplomatic Immunity ?

Should Anne Sacoolas be extradited to UK to face charges in teens death?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anne Sacoolas is the wife of a U.S. diplomat. Harry Dunn (teen), who was killed in a traffic accident involving American Anne Sacoolas. After the incident she told authorities she had no planes to leave the UK when they asked her. She rushed back to the U.S. without being questioned using diplomatic immunity.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know the story but I voted yes. But I am against diplomatic immunity in general. No one should have a free for all to do anything (horrible) they want to do. Not OK.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This story is so sad! She hit a teen on a motorcycle head on and his parents discovered him mangled and dying. Anne Sacoolas wife of a diplomat fled back to the U.S. Trump is making excuses for her. She needs to go back to the UK and take responsibility and face the consequences.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know all about this being in the UK - it has been headline news since she fled back to the US.

I think what she has done is abhorrent. The accident was an accident, so I don't mean that bit, despite how utterly horrendous this is for the boys family, but the leaving the country & then saying she is covered by her husbands diplomatic immunity & therefore she will not be returning to the UK to face her charges.

Wait, WHAT????

Accident or not, that woman killed a boy & admitted it at the time. I realise she is used to driving on the other side of the road to the UK (though I believe had been living here long enough to have got used to that by now) and it was dark etc, but CCTV caught the whole thing. It was without doubt a very tragic accident, but there is no way she should be allowed to 'hide' behind her husbands immunity & not face the music.

Manslaughter is manslaughter, however you want to look at it, and carries a custodial sentence regardless over here. I have recently signed a petition to bring her back.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This makes me sick, and although I rarely say anything positive or negative about Trump, he makes me sick too, the way he is handling it. I read that she does not have diplomatic immunity being a spouse, that it was never meant to apply to spouses, yet the U.S. is protecting her...why? She needs to go back to the U.K. stop being a coward and face the consequences for what she has done.

Absolute garbage she is, and she is a mother on top of it and left someone else son to die alone, makes me sick.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the parents flew to Washington and met with Trump last night in the White House. Apparently they chose not to meet with Anne Sacoolas. They prefer to do that back in the UK with the police. It’s not clear what if anything they ironed out. Sad.

ETA Apparently Trump thought if he brought Mrs. Sacoolas in to the meeting they could all hug and have a kumbaya moment.

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the parents flew to Washington and met with Trump last night in the White House. Apparently they chose not to meet with Anne Sacoolas. They prefer to do that back in the UK with the police. It’s not clear what if anything they ironed out. Sad.

ETA Apparently Trump thought if he brought Mrs. Sacoolas in to the meeting they could all hug and have a kumbaya moment.

Could you just IMAGINE flying to another country to plead with their government about handing over somebody who killed your child so that justice can be served, and they turn to you during that meeting and say, "well hey, that person is in the next room & would love to meet you to offer their condolences..." ??

I am so proud that they immediately decided to leave. They haven't even been able to grieve yet due to the shenanigans of this spineless woman. It was a disgusting thing for Trump to do.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you just IMAGINE flying to another country to plead with their government about handing over somebody who killed your child so that justice can be served, and they turn to you during that meeting and say, "well hey, that person is in the next room & would love to meet you to offer their condolences..." ??

I am so proud that they immediately decided to leave. They haven't even been able to grieve yet due to the shenanigans of this spineless woman. It was a disgusting thing for Trump to do.
I can‘t begin to imagine the horror Alex. Trump‘s short press conference after was awful. Trying to make excuses for why the accident happened. The young man’s parents understand it was an accident fool! Now stand up and stop hiding behind diplomatic immunity and do what’s morally right!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Trump’s stupid ambush attempt on those poor parents was all about his ego and a total Maury Povich Show moment. He’s nothing but a trashy tabloid television host. But I guess Americans like that—I mean wasnt Jerry Springer the freakin’ mayor of Cincinnati once upon a time? Smh.

Sacoolas is a coward, plain and simple, and better face the music. I don’t know how a person could live with herself running away like she did. Shameful.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actively try to avoid news, but this was a hit and run, right? The woman should face prosecution. Accidents happen, but you don't run away in any case. You face your consequences. She should have stayed and called 999.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actively try to avoid news, but this was a hit and run, right? The woman should face prosecution. Accidents happen, but you don't run away in any case. You face your consequences. She should have stayed and called 999.

Yes, she drove away. It was on CCTV so the police traced her car & knocked on her door later that night. I understand she could have been in total panic, but to flee the country after saying in statement to the police that you weren't leaving anytime soon & then leaving, is completely pre-meditated. And let's face it, she got what she wanted knowing Trump would wrap her in cotton wool & attempt to make this situation all sound very trivial. It's all disgusting.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, she stayed on the scene and flagged down another motorist to help so she could comfort her own kids who were in the car with her! Maybe she left after the other motorist stopped. From what I read it took the ambulance a long time to arrive on the scene. She told authorities she wouldn’t leave the country, but promptly did citing diplomatic immunity.
What must her children think? How does one justify that type of response? She has had over 7 weeks to sort things out, lawyer up if need be but do the decent thing. You killed a young man, now sort it out. Running away and hiding behind Trump’s skirts is disgusting. Trump’s response is abhorrent.

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
There should be no immunity for this. I don't even think she cares and us only concerned for how it impacts her. I think the family rep said that they had just received an apology in writing like 7 weeks later? Through her lawyer? She killed a young man. It was an accident, but take responsibility.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one for you, her kids were in the car, so they saw that she hit someone and then ran away from the problem. Great role model there.

Unless her husband is pushing for her to face the music then he is just as bad. How can you just leave? How do you sleep at night? How do you live with yourself?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is exploiting a loophole, her conscience as a human being, not to mention as a diplomat's spouse and knowing how this reflects on the entire country, should have been enough for her to stay put and face charges. Selfish and cowardly.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this may be one of those rare occasions when every PSer is in agreement!

Sacoolas is a coward and needs to be held accountable.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A similar situation has happened to us. Thankfully, my son lived. Last February he was hit head on by a man from Japan driving on the wrong side of the road. He was a professor at a prestigious medical school. He went back to Japan and has refused to man up to any consequences. My son has had multiply surgeries on his leg and will have to have more. He hasn't worked since the accident.
Needless to say, I find this woman's actions deplorable.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A similar situation has happened to us. Thankfully, my son lived. Last February he was hit head on by a man from Japan driving on the wrong side of the road. He was a professor at a prestigious medical school. He went back to Japan and has refused to man up to any consequences. My son has had multiply surgeries on his leg and will have to have more. He hasn't worked since the accident.
I’m so sorry to hear about your son luv, and everything your family is going through. Prayers for his recovery and strength for all of you.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im so sorry to hear about your son
i hope future surgeries are successful and he can start to live his life like it was before

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry to hear about your son luv, and everything your family is going through. Prayers for his recovery and strength for all of you.

Thank you Bonfire. He is doing well, all things considered. He has a lot of hardware inside his leg that will need to be removed at a year and a half. It still hurts quite a bit. Could have been way worse and I am thankful it wasn't.

The point I wanted to make was, that this kind of thing happens more than you would think. She could have just as easily left the country even without the whole diplomatic immunity business.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sucks!
She sucks!
Trump sucks!

:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

Can't the U.N.'s International Court of Justice in The Hague force her to return her @ss to Britain?

Last edited:

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
This is what happens when you let the fear of consequences override character. In some ways, I feel for her as well given the trauma involved (especially for her children, who not only witnessed what happened, but are now witnessing the response... and children hear and see everything). The inclination to run only adds to the grief, the significant grief of the boy's parents. The only way she, (and perhaps her children) and the parents, will begin to heal, is for her to face the parents, on their turf, mediated by professionals, without a camera in sight. She should be more concerned about the healing than the consequences.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is flagrant abuse of diplomatic immunity as far as I’m concerned. The additional trauma and protracted emotional pain she has put those poor parents through is completely unconscionable. She should have her cowardly butt sent back here immediately, assuming the events surrounding the Trump meeting haven’t shocked her into doing what’s morally (and legally) right of her own accord.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@luv2sparkle I am so sorry about your son's traumatic accident and thank goodness he is on the road to recovery. Wishing him a full recovery! And it makes me so freaking angry that diplomatic immunity allows people to get away with heinous actions/crimes/behavior. There should be no diplomatic immunity. One should have to be law abiding no matter where one is and deal with the consequences if they are not. No one should be free to do whatever they like. No one no where. NOT OK.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll never be able to understand the urge to flee. I'm certain my urge would be to care for the other person no matter what. My children would see me doing the right thing, even though it would be difficult. I would absolutely have had to stay to be with the injured person, possibly to my own detriment in case I lawfully shouldn't touch the person, or interfere in any way. I would face prosecution.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results