shape
carat
color
clarity

Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
As the time gets nearer to finalise our guest list, I have a bit of a dilemma.

Background:

FI''s parents divorced when he was 14, he and his older brother lived with his Dad and the younger two went to live with his mum very close by.

FMIL has been married for 14 years or so to a really great guy P who we all adore. FI gets on with him much better than with his own father. P has 5 grown-up children of his own from his first marriage, all of whom are older than us and all of whom are married.

FFIL has been married to R for 4 years and met her about 7 years ago. FI hates her with a vengeance and is very uncomfortable when she is present. Personally I don''t like her much and would much prefer that she wasn''t part of the extended family, but she is so we have to deal with it.

R has 3 children from her previous marriage. They are much younger than FI, but know his younger brothers well. FI was 26 when R and FFIL met and has rarely met her children.

The Problem:

R autoinvited her children to FBIL''s wedding in Chicago 2 weeks ago, which he was not very happy about, however they had a huge guest list - 250+ so it wasn''t a problem - though they were surprised that they were prepared to fork out for plane fares, hotels etc for people they''ve maybe met 20 times at the most.

FMIL also felt that if they were invited, P''s 5 children should have been invited too, not that they would have come, but out of courtesy.

The 2 girls are okay, but their brother is his mother in male form and just causes trouble all the time. He also got very drunk every night and positively harrassed a lot of the single girls at the wedding.

They all kept asking me for the date of our wedding so they can book plane tickets etc - one lives in the Dominican Republic, and telling me how much they are looking forward to our wedding.

I''ve tried the ''we have a very small guest list'' line, but didn''t feel comfortable spelling out that they are not invited - they haven''t got any of the hints at all.

Our numbers are a max of 120 with no space for extras at all - I have maxed out the number you can actually squeeze in. We both have big families anyway, plus my parents have invited some of their friends, so we can only invited our really close friends.

I really don''t want to invite 3 people who make FI uncomfortable and I''m even less happy about having 3 people there who are hoping for a wild drunken party. Pretty much everyone coming is in their mid 30''s plus and there are no single people coming at all, so it''s likely to be more on the sedate side.

What should I do? R will go nuts it''swe don''t invite them, but we don''t want to play happy families when it''s not the case.

How would you handle this one? Or should we invite them instead of our friends to keep the peace?

Sorry, very long - but it''s really bothering me at the moment.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Toughy. Oh-so-familiar-toughie at that. Any chance FFIL can be got to talk to her about it?

I got guilted into invited new-step-mom''s parents, whose NAMES I don''t even know, and caved pretty easily. But that was only 2 extras, not 10.

hmmmm... But find a way to say ''NO!''

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I just cringe inside everytime I think of having to do it.

FMIL said to explain that I''d have to invite the other 5 plus husbands as well - I don''t, but it sounds good!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that is an excellent strategy. I'm planning to use it to explain why my 1st cousins once removed, all 25 under 10's of them, are not invited. Only nursing infants!

ETA: that conveniently includes all my FRIENDS' kids while excluding random cousins' children I've met once in my life.

She should understand that: 1) 120 max and the guest list is FULL 2) inviting her kids means an additional... 16 is it? 3) You already can't invite some of your friends... so you hope she understands.

Oooh, here's an idea: what about suggesting a separate celebration with them. Send them an e-mail saying "Hey guys, tough luck that we can't fit everyone, so how bout we all go down to the pub one Saturday and celebrate together?" They'd probably prefer that anyway, and it could be a good way to build a relationship with them... if you want one.

cara

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't worry as much about the unpleasant people ruining YOUR wedding if you do invite them. Its your wedding, and you will be on a fabulous high with 100+ other people there to hang out with. You don't need to WORRY about their presence, if you choose to invite them. But...

You don't have to invite them. But if you choose not to invite them, you do need to articulate and stand by that decision. Which means calmly and rationally explaining to R that you had significant space restrictions and could not invite your FI's 13 step-siblings and their spouses. Do not claim money issues or anything but space issues; otherwise she will come up with solutions to the money problem (no flowers! etc.)

And you will have to be prepared to repeat this explanation with an apologetic smile if/when you see the actual step-siblings again. The "I'm so sorry we have a very small venue and couldn't invite everyone we wanted" (make sad face) explanation.

You might still get a bit of blowback, but that's life. Its your wedding. Its a legitimate choice to for you to make, but its also legitimate for your stepmom to be sad about your choice (but not to guilt or otherwise abuse you for it.)

Good luck! (welcome to the minefield of wedding planning...)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''ve only met them twice in three years and we have no wish to have anything more to do with them than I would with very distant 3rd cousins one sometimes sees at family events.

I just felt really false talking to them at FBIL''s wedding, knowing that they count us as extended family and as far as we are concerned they are R''s children - it''s not like FI and they grew up together.

When they start offering to buy plane tickets, it makes me feel like I must be such a cow because they are prepared to go to all the hassle and expense for someone they don''t even know, and I so wouldn''t do that for them.

If I had no space issues I would probably invite them, but I really don''t want to not invite my really good friends so that they can come - and I really could not squeeze another chair in even if I had to (the venue are already waving Fire Safety dictats at me!). Cost is not an issue at all. FFIL has given us a very generous cheque as a wedding present, to spend on whatever we choose - we want to save it for a deposit on a bigger house, and we did tell him at the time that R''s kids are not going to be invited and he seemed fine with that, but obviously hasn''t told R.

She will now flip because he''s given us this huge cheque and we''re not inviting her children...

Grrr, I''m going round in circles and making myself feel sick.

I think I will just delegate to FI
31.gif

Anyway, I glad you all haven''t told me that I should invite them! Thanks for the support
35.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say delegate it to FI, and stick to your guns! Your reasons to not invite them are all very valid-they just need to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results