shape
carat
color
clarity

Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Ladies I need some help.

My lovely boyfriend let me choose my engagement ring. A couple of years ago, I tried on a half-rubover (or half halo) setting which looked great on my finger, however when I later tried on a similar setting, I didn''t like the look of it and thought I went off this ring type. Since then, I decided to go for a simple, modern four claw setting, and my boyfriend and I went to a couple of jeweller''s to discuss the design and get some quotes.

The first jeweller also brought out a ring similar to the original, half-halo setting I first fell in love in, and when I put my stone into it, it looked great. However, I brushed this aside as we were there to look at a different style. To cut the long story short, the second jeweller we met was a great guy to work with, offered us a fantastic price and has a great reputation, so we comissioned the four-claw modern ring. It''s going to be ready on Monday.

The problem is, I can''t get that other ring out of my head! I am referring to the half-halo. The four-claw ring is really nice from the profile, as the whole of the diamond is on display, but makes the diamond look quite squarish as the claws are very square; the second ring somehow looks more feminine.

We haven''t paid a deposit, however I really liked the second jeweller, and would hope to work with him in the future, and as such, feel obliged to stay loyal to the deal. On the other hand, I will wear this ring every day for the rest of my life...Both designs are nice, it''s just that I think I love the round a little bit more...

Do you think I have any options or should I just forget about the other ring? Had the first jeweller not brought it out, I wouldn''t remember the original setting I loved.

Apologies for the slightly complicated story and sorry if this sounds pathetic...I am attaching pics of rings that are *similar* to the designs I am talking about.

dejoria.jpg

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
And here is the half-halo, although I have to say that both rings I looked at are nicer than the ones in the pics. I appreciate all comments!

oakford.jpg

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
I really like the half-bezel look of the second piece but I''m not sure what you can do since the other ring that you commissioned will be ready on Monday. Did you sign anything? I''d talk to the jeweler to see if they can help you.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ms.Halo. No we didn''t sign anything, pay a deposit or leave the diamond with the jeweller (I need to inspect the ring on Monday, and then they will set the stone while we are there). I guess I should have a chat with the jeweller and explain my situation, although I imagine he will be far from thrilled since it''s Thursday and the ring is probably nearly done...

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I like the second one as well. Speak with the jeweler to see what can be done, as I am sure you are not the only woman to change her mind! I am rather sure he could make you the bezel style and if you cannot get out of the first one, get a colored gem for that one!

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Omieluv, thanks for great advice, though cost is a bit of an issue at the mo as we are saving for a bigger place, so getting 2 rings isn''t an option. I hope the jeweller will be sympathetic and will call tomorrow (I''m in the UK and it''s wayyy past business hours now)...fingers crossed! If he isn''t, I guess I will have to stick to the deal...I forgot to add that my other half doesn''t really understand (well, then again he isn''t a girl!) and thinks I should stick with the ring we comissioned.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love the half bezel. Do you mind if I ask who it''s made by? I''d love a link for more info on it!

As for your situation, I can understand your position. The best thing to do would be to contact the jeweler and see if it''s too late to change your mind.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a huge fan of that half-bezel! Do what makes YOU happy! I''m sure you can work out something with the jeweler you''ve already enlisted to do the 4-prong setting...having a change of heart is not at all unheard of in the jewelry industry. He probably won''t be very happy about re-making the ring and may charge you for his time/labor, but in the end you are the one who has to wear your ring...get the design that pleases you most.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Ladies, thanks for all the advice, I am going to call the jeweller now. Wish me luck!

Audball, the half bezel is called Oakford by DeJoria www.dejoria.co.uk . The company has a US offshoot (check out dejoria.com) although I think they have a smaller selection. The closest match on that website is ''Jessica'' I think, although I didn''t browse through all the styles. Anyway, if you really love it, you could always get it imported from the UK. That would make a change; it''s usually us importing stuff from the US :)

However, the half bezel I am truly in love with is by a british jeweller called Boodels and it''s called Superstar. You can check it in the pdf catalogue at http://www.boodles.co.uk/Assets/Downloadablefile/Engagement%20WYBM%202009.pdf . I think it''s on page 11.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I love the half bezel you posted
30.gif

Let us know what happens?

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Just spoke to the jeweller...looks like it really is too late as the ring was finished last night, ahead of the agreed date. He is lovely guy and I felt terrible telling him I like another design more. We agreed that we will go and see the finished piece this afternoon; I don''t know whether that will open the opportunity for changes, or I might fall in love it once it''s on my finger.

It would be so much easier if I just went along with it; as I said before, my bf doesn''t really understand and it''s not making me popular with the jeweller either. The bf actually prefers the 4 prong style as he thinks it makes the diamond more prominent, and doesn''t understand why I like the half bezel, or indeed why I went ahead with the comission if I wasn''t sure. I don''t blame him...I felt sure at that moment but since then couldn''t stop thinking about the half bezel. I guess I could maybe get it reset in the future, and in the meantime, still have a nice diamond ring.

Will update later....sigh.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you'll be disappointed with your ring. I have a 4 prong solitaire and I love it

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
You can add me to the bezel lovers. However, they are both very pretty and I''m sure your ring will be gorgeous no matter what. If they can''t redo the ring then you can always look towards an anniversary for a reset! Good luck with the jeweler today.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Hi All!

Note the chirpy tone! Just got back from the jeweller''s, and he truly is a great guy. He is pricing up the half bezel, and is very symphatetic. He would only charge us £65 (about 100$) for his time to make the first ring, which really isn''t very much, so it looks like this story might have a happy end.

Thanks for all the great advice. I was amazed that nearly everyone preferred the half bezel. I guess us girls prefer curves?

Will keep you posted!

D.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear this seems to be working out, can''t wait for pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results