shape
carat
color
clarity

Dilemma with two stones F & H

k3wt

Rough_Rock
Hi All

I know everyone has their own opinion but if all the criteria for two stones were the same - all being excellent/ideal but the only difference was:-

Colour, one being an F and the other being a H
Carat, F being a 1.48 and the H being a 1.59

Which would you chose?

In the real world in natural daylight would you notice any tinge in colour and would the size be noticeable?

They would be set in platinum.

Thanks!

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
k3wt|1459595640|4014506 said:
Hi All

I know everyone has their own opinion but if all the criteria for two stones were the same - all being excellent/ideal but the only difference was:-

Colour, one being an F and the other being a H
Carat, F being a 1.48 and the H being a 1.59

Which would you chose?

In the real world in natural daylight would you notice any tinge in colour and would the size be noticeable?

They would be set in platinum.

Thanks!

Hey mate - they may both be excellent/ideal...but are all the cut parameters equal? You can have two 'excellent' stones that look very different. You might want to post lab reports/images/prices for a bit more feedback.
But to answer your questions - if they're both well cut stones, then no, you're not going to really see any noticeable face-up size difference between them. For colour, you might see something if it was a top end F and a low end H...but most likely no...and probably even less likely once set into a ring.
Also, there is usually a premium to go up into the 1.50ct+ size - - - you just have to be aware of the cut for the 1.48ct...some cutter probably got a bit of a spanking for not reaching the 1.50ct mark, so make sure there wasn't anything sacrifised in the cut while they were trying to reach that weight - - but if that's all ok, it might be a good find.
Hope this helps

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would take the 1.48 F for sure! You are getting the 1.5 size without the 1.5ct premium.

You can use the WF comparison tool on their site to see if it is a high F or H. Select multiple stones of the same color and watch them spin side by side in the video. Usually with 3 stones together, you get a good idea where your stone stands. Or you can ask WF, they are very honest about their stones.

Btw, I would put that stone on hold asap. It will go fast!

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I can't comment on the stones as I'm in the trade and it's against forum rules so I'll leave non-trade members to comment - - but I will say that you shouldn't put too much emphasis on the HCA when you're looking at well cut stones - - for some reason, people come on here and seem to think that they have to use the HCA to help them decide which stone to buy...but that's not it's use or what it was intended to do - - by it's own admission, it's a rejection tool...not for selection. You need to base your decision on other criteria now and forget about the HCA.
About the colour and mm size...hypothetically because I can't comment on specifics ;-) ...but if all things are fairly equal (like you mentioned in your original post) and you could get a better colour for a lower price... :think:
Good luck

k3wt

Rough_Rock
CareBear|1459603732|4014540 said:
I would take the 1.48 F for sure! You are getting the 1.5 size without the 1.5ct premium.

You can use the WF comparison tool on their site to see if it is a high F or H. Select multiple stones of the same color and watch them spin side by side in the video. Usually with 3 stones together, you get a good idea where your stone stands. Or you can ask WF, they are very honest about their stones.

Btw, I would put that stone on hold asap. It will go fast!

Thanks for your recommendation.

I have just compared them. I can't see any difference :/

As far as the size goes would that be noticeable?

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Boy, I am usually all about size, but for only 0.2mm size difference, I would pick the 1.48ct. You are getting 2 color grades higher color for $600 less. You probably could tell the size difference if you saw the diamonds side by side, but once set, it won't be a noticeable difference in my opinion. Beautiful choice of stones!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a 7.5mm versus a 7.3mm will be noticeable. I'd rather have the larger stone. You can ask WF if it is a high, mid, or low H. I have had a 7.5 mm (1.58 ct) stone before. I'll post a pic for you. (G color)

img_11311.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Between those 2 ACAs, me, I'd go for the F for sure.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call WF (like DS said). They have them there and can compare the H with other H's. Ask for their advice/opinion. They will
be honest with you.

Edit ...I kind of feel like if you are worried over this you should go with the F. I dont want you to be second guessing yourself
every time you see the hint of color in the H.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people value color more, and some people value size more. If you were asking me if I'd choose a 1.48 H or a 1.59 J, I would choose the H because G-H is my preferred color range for modern rounds. So as tyty just said, this all has to do whether the person who will be wearing the ring would rather have colorless over size, or size over colorless. That really is something you need to know if you are buying this for another person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results