shape
carat
color
clarity

Dilemma budget vs preference

luvely

Rough_Rock
Hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a dilemma I'm running into?

I'm looking for a round diamond of excellent cut and parameters (including no fluorescence)

My budget for the setting and stone is $5000 so with the platinum setting I have in mind I believe that leaves around $3300?

I believe a 0.8 carat looked best on my 4.5 size finger and am interested in the best quality possible but I'm wondering if that's possible when I actually preferred the colorless to the near colorless diamonds and I feel like for my own peace of mind I am leaning towards VS as opposed to S. (They seem to sparkle more) and I've already convinced myself down from a 1 carat largely due to budget

The problem is I think the stones I'm drawn to are closer to $4200!

Is there a way around this? Or is it worth it to fork up the extra for stone I really like? It looks at that rate the total spent would be close to $6000..

Thanks so much!

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
More diamond, less setting. You're going to have the diamond for life, but the setting will almost certainly have to be repaired or updated or changed at some point.

So with a relatively limited budget I would put that $4600 towards the forever diamond. And $400 for a respectable setting that will be updated in a couple of years.

Or $4000 to a diamond, and $1000 to a non-designer version of the platinum setting you are interested in. Every popular designer style has a replica.

$4190 gets you to a 0.83 carat G/VS2 triple ex on James Allen (just an example, you can do better).

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 more diamond less setting. Upgrade setting later.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1429962252|3867561 said:

+2. No question in my mind. The most important factor is a great stone. The setting is easier to change in the future when you have the funds.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They've given you the absolute best advice. Always put the money in the stone first.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what is your setting preference, anyways?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others spend the majority of the budget on the stone, and get the largest nicest option possible now so you don't regret it and get a simple cost effective setting you can upgrade the setting later.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this is to be a forever ring (no future changing of diamond or setting), then do please let us see the platinum setting you love - maybe we know of something similar/identical for less than $1700. And, yes, if it is a forever ring, it is worth it to up your budget to $6k so you can get the diamond and the setting of your dreams.

But if you do anticipate upgrading the diamond in the future, which likely would also mean a new setting, then I'd allocate more money to the diamond right now and go with a classic solitaire setting which, even in Platinum, should be $750-$900.

luvely

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for answering! I think largely for sentimental reasons I am not looking to update either the diamond or the setting. In the diamond district this place seemed to have the most reasonable price --the setting was $1800 plus I was adding a milgrain border and he shaved $100 off the total price (including diamond). A similar setting elsewhere was over $2000 and another place with really nice settings ran from $2000-2800.

I did find a place with good reviews in Chinatown where their settings were almost half the price but to be honest I'm kind of wary about that. If I found a setting I loved there that might be a different story and I'm not so sure they would be able to replicate the one I liked based on my pictures alone. I may be getting my stone from there however :)

It's a pave mini split shank with basket setting and I would be adding a migraine border for some finesse. I don't particularly care for split shank but this one is so subtle you can't really tell until you look up really closely which I like since I find that unique. I will try to post pix! Hopefully I can get that to work :)

Keep in mind though the stone itself would be smaller, more like a 0.8 as opposed to the 1.2 shown here and I would be adding that milgrain border. Please let me know what you think! ::)

_29529.jpg

_29530.jpg

_29531.jpg

luvely

Rough_Rock
Sorry that the pictures uploaded sideways btw! I am not sure how to correct that as they are all right side up on my phone!

luvely

Rough_Rock
Mayk said:
This one might work and ID Jewelry is a great place to find a diamond. Tell them you are from PS

Slight split enough metal to have mill grain...

http://www.idjewelry.com/engagement-rings/engagement-pave/18kt-white-gold-round-cut-pave-diamond-engagement-setting-0-42ctw-kr06784-iebd.html

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am looking for a platinum band and this one is a bit too thick for me plus it says the center stone minimum size is 0.9. Thanks again though I appreciate it :)

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I would recommend being careful when buying pave and making sure that you get a ring from a reputable jeweler. My first ring was pave, sized from a size 6 to a size 4. Either the sizing compromised the setting or the setting itself was poorly made because my side diamonds regularly fell out and I had to have the entire ring remade by another jeweler. I am not saying this will happen to you, but I recommend buying from a trusted/vetted jeweler (some have recommended here) when buying pave.

luvely

Rough_Rock
Travelgal said:
I would recommend being careful when buying pave and making sure that you get a ring from a reputable jeweler. My first ring was pave, sized from a size 6 to a size 4. Either the sizing compromised the setting or the setting itself was poorly made because my side diamonds regularly fell out and I had to have the entire ring remade by another jeweler. I am not saying this will happen to you, but I recommend buying from a trusted/vetted jeweler (some have recommended here) when buying pave.

Thanks for that reminder. I totally agree, I was actually not going to go for pave since I know the smaller stones may fall out but I think having a store in person you can stop by at is really important.

The store with the setting had really good reviews on yelp though ;-)

http://m.yelp.com/biz/kent-new-york-new-york

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1429963072|3867568 said:
Mayk|1429962252|3867561 said:

+2. No question in my mind. The most important factor is a great stone. The setting is easier to change in the future when you have the funds.
+3.. :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm included to say do what's best for you vs "always put all your money towards the stone!"

If you're not going to upgrade and the entire "look" is what's most important to you, then that's what's right.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1430101973|3868263 said:
I'm included to say do what's best for you vs "always put all your money towards the stone!"

If you're not going to upgrade and the entire "look" is what's most important to you, then that's what's right.

+1

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I know this isn't a split shank but it has a very similar look to the one you posted and already includes the milgrain detailing that you like. I'm sure that you could have it done in platinum as well. IDJ is a great vendor to check out (even if you don't see exactly what you want on their website). They have come through with amazing pieces for many PSers on a budget!

http://www.idjewelry.com/engagement-rings/engagement-pave/victorian-pave-set-round-diamond-setting-with-millgrain-set-in-14kt-white-gold-0-21ctw.html

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1430129844|3868325 said:
I know this isn't a split shank but it has a very similar look to the one you posted and already includes the milgrain detailing that you like. I'm sure that you could have it done in platinum as well. IDJ is a great vendor to check out (even if you don't see exactly what you want on their website). They have come through with amazing pieces for many PSers on a budget!

http://www.idjewelry.com/engagement-rings/engagement-pave/victorian-pave-set-round-diamond-setting-with-millgrain-set-in-14kt-white-gold-0-21ctw.html

That's pretty and a good price!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very pretty!

You know I was thinking the same thing. James Allen has one tat does that too, atad more expensive but it has an integrated head and I think a higher CTW. They will add millgraining for free. (* last I checked)

Also, id wager they'll have a sale coming up on settings fom mothers day. They seem to be doing that a lot on holidays. 10,15, maybe 20% on settings. Not stones but still that's a nice bit of money

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/platinum-tailored-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41126

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Luvely, are you hoping to work with a BM vs online retailer? I mentioned IDJ because for some reason I believed you're in NY? IDJ has an online presence, but also a physical location. James Allen has an office in NY as well, and if I remember correctly will allow you to make an appointment to view up to three stones and settings with them (someone please correct me if this isn't the case).

My theory, is that often times there is better value shopping with online retailers and, if you are indeed in NY, you would have the additional benefit of being able to view these stones and settings in person at their retail locations. This may allow you to get, not only the setting you want but the stone size as well, without having to compromise one for the other.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto on all of the above, but I would also revisit your thoughts on clarity after actually seeing some well-cut SI stones in person. They do vary, but most SI1 stones, if cut as well as a VS, should not have any difference at all in "sparkle." Clarity at that level usually won't affect light performance, but look for GIA or AGS certs and ask the vendor (if online) about whether any inclusions affect performance/durability or whether they are visible to the naked eye. High levels of flouresence sometimes can affect clarity and create a milky look, although I understand this is also relatively unusual. I would take a look online (or if possible in person) at some stones at the VS2/SI1 level that are same color & similar cut (look for similar angles). If you can get comfortable with an eye-clean SI1 that could help you get closer to your ideal in terms of size and setting. Good luck!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I know that for sentimental reasons you had stated that you do not plan to upgrade the ring but I'm wondering if you might consider purchasing the diamond of your dreams now, and as mentioned previously, setting it in an inexpensive solitare and then...perhaps before the wedding, or a special occasion, birthday, anniversary...when you've had time to find your perfect setting and have had time to save a bit more, re-set it then?

PS is a funny place...some of us upgrade or change our stones and settings as often as the seasons, but I totally get wanting ONE forever ring...and knowing that is what YOU want, it feels that it may make a bit of sense to consider a temp setting. This way you aren't comprising stone OR setting, just a tiny bit of time waiting for it to all fall together..perfectly! ;))

luvely

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys so much the advice, tips and encouragement! Pricescope truly is an awesome forum!! :)))

Christina... said:
Luvely, are you hoping to work with a BM vs online retailer? I mentioned IDJ because for some reason I believed you're in NY? IDJ has an online presence, but also a physical location. James Allen has an office in NY as well, and if I remember correctly will allow you to make an appointment to view up to three stones and settings with them (someone please correct me if this isn't the case).

My theory, is that often times there is better value shopping with online retailers and, if you are indeed in NY, you would have the additional benefit of being able to view these stones and settings in person at their retail locations. This may allow you to get, not only the setting you want but the stone size as well, without having to compromise one for the other.

That is a fantastic idea and a great reminder :) I had forgotten that some online vendors had offices in the diamond district. I've started a chat on I.D Jewelry, just waiting on a response. That is a very pretty alternative and I will keep this one as an option :)

Niel said:

Very pretty!

You know I was thinking the same thing. James Allen has one tat does that too, atad more expensive but it has an integrated head and I think a higher CTW. They will add millgraining for free. (* last I checked)

Also, id wager they'll have a sale coming up on settings fom mothers day. They seem to be doing that a lot on holidays. 10,15, maybe 20% on settings. Not stones but still that's a nice bit of money

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/platinum-tailored-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41126

Thanks for this reminder as well-- I realized I Never looked too carefully at their pave settings and they truly do have a large variety of unique settings :)

enbcfsobe said:
Ditto on all of the above, but I would also revisit your thoughts on clarity after actually seeing some well-cut SI stones in person. They do vary, but most SI1 stones, if cut as well as a VS, should not have any difference at all in "sparkle." Clarity at that level usually won't affect light performance, but look for GIA or AGS certs and ask the vendor (if online) about whether any inclusions affect performance/durability or whether they are visible to the naked eye. High levels of flouresence sometimes can affect clarity and create a milky look, although I understand this is also relatively unusual. I would take a look online (or if possible in person) at some stones at the VS2/SI1 level that are same color & similar cut (look for similar angles). If you can get comfortable with an eye-clean SI1 that could help you get closer to your ideal in terms of size and setting. Good luck!

This is a good point. I didn't think clarity mattered too much to me, as long as I couldn't see the inclusions myself without magnification but the higher clarity diamonds I've seen (all GIA certified) sparkled much more than the S1 one I saw (VVS wasa insane-- but i definitely can't afford that). And one of the more well known stores said color isn't as important as clarity in terms of sparkle and that seemed to make sense-- less imperfections blocking light return I believe.

Niel said:

I think I would agreed with you. I think for peace of mind that I am trying my best to stay within budget I will definitely explore more options before making my final decision, but I think as of now I do believe I have a soft spot for that particular setting and (E VS2) ? grade stone :twirl:

Thanks again so much guys :) I think I really do want to stick by not switching out the stone or setting so it's important to get it right the first time around for me! If I happen to be out of budget, I think it shouldn't be the end of the world-- money can always be made! ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results