shape
carat
color
clarity

Dilema

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
So, I bought a small OEC recently, and I just got it back from being reset. I was torn between two settings, and I ended up picking a two tone bezel setting, and now that I see it in person, I'm not sure I love it. I love my cute little diamond, but in this setting it looks very small, and very yellow. Should I take it back to the jeweler and ask them to change the setting again for me? I don't have any pics to share yet, it's quite cloudy today. What do you think?? I'm so torn.

This is the one I chose
http://www.stuller.com/products/21237/?groupId=12395

And this was the other contender
http://www.stuller.com/products/81318/?groupId=39931

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
If you don't like it, I'd take it in and see what they can do. But I wouldn't choose the other setting that was a contender. I think part of the reason it looks too yellow is the reflection of the yellow gold bezel, and the other pendant won't help since it's also yellow gold. I'd put it in white gold instead.

ETA: I'd still go with a bezel to give the illusion of extra size, but probably just a white gold single bezel.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're considering switching to the other "contender" setting, I don't think the overall effect will be that much different - the mounting around the stone will still be yellow gold and the "contender" setting is actually smaller in size since it doesn't have the white gold metal border around it.

If you're thinking of switching to a white metal setting, perhaps it will look less "yellow" to you but I'm not sure it will look any larger --

For me I know I have preconceived ideas of how my stones will look in a chosen setting, but once I get it in my hands the "real life" image often doesn't match what I had imagined in my mind... maybe just put on the necklace for the rest of the day and see how you feel about it each time you get a glimpse in a mirror? Maybe it will grow on you?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1304275515|2909278 said:
If you don't like it, I'd take it in and see what they can do. But I wouldn't choose the other setting that was a contender. I think part of the reason it looks too yellow is the reflection of the yellow gold bezel, and the other pendant won't help since it's also yellow gold. I'd put it in white gold instead.

I agree with Jstarfireb. I'd take it back and see what other options you might have (and I'd keep it in white gold rather than yellow).

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on the yellow gold. What about a rose gold setting?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
somethingshiny|1304276090|2909287 said:
Ditto on the yellow gold. What about a rose gold setting?
You know, that may just work! I hadn't really thought of rose gold. I love the way it looks. Do you think it will help with the diamond's color?

It's just so weird, this little diamond was set in yellow gold when I bought it, and it looked MUCH more white. I don't get why this mounting is making it look so much warmer. And I'm disappointed with how small it looks, too. They estimated my OEC to be about 40 points, and in this mounting it looks smaller than my 20 point bezel pendant.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
What color is the OEC? (I didn't see it posted.)

If it's not a low color, it should pick up the pink tones for the rose gold. If it is a low color, it may enhance the difference. I'd take it into a jewelry store and just look at it next to a rose piece. As far as size, the bezel is going to make it look smaller. If you like the look of a bezel, you could do a prong setting with a metal halo to mimic the appearance of a bezeled stone.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know what color or clarity it is. I recently got it from a pawn shop, and never bothered to have it appraised. I liked the way it looked, and for the price I paid that was enough for me. It did look much whiter in its old setting, though. That's a good suggestion, to hold it next to a rose gold piece to see what happens. I think I may try something with a metal halo, because I really do love a bezel pendant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results