shape
carat
color
clarity

Different vendors selling the same stone?

kurwa

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I've been a lurking since before I created an account on this site and have found this community to be invaluable when it comes to gem info, which is why I thought this would be a good place to post this and see if anyone might have some insight.

While searching for gemstones online, I've noticed on a number of occasions what appears to be the same stone being offered for sale by seemingly different vendors.

Here's a couple of examples:

Pink Sapphie

Pad

The cert numbers for each stone is the same between the different vendors. I know that jewlers borrow stones and make a commission if it is sold so I was curious if this might be something like that; especially since the pricing seems to be different.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I believe this is called drop-selling, I have been involved in a few debates amongst vendors on whether drop-selling is acceptable and it's a mixed reaction (big no-no in the Opal trading circles that I am in). It appears to be what is happening here too.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are a number of people who flip stones -- buying and reselling for a profit. Sometimes they don't buy it until they have already found someone willing to purchase it from them at a higher price. Sometimes they buy it and then return it within the refund window If no one is willing to repurchase it from them at a higher price. In either case they tend to reuse the original vendor photos (as they don't have the stone in hand when they list it themselves).

This is true for some vendors (not many) and also some pricescopers selling on loupetroop and instagram (most of these eventually changed their designation to vendors in the long run anyway).

There are also cases where someone sells something consignment and they list it in two websites at once. And I think one of the stones you just linked is going to be a case of that.

And at least a few vendors carry stones from a large wholesale supplier (and the wholesaler happily allows them to list the same stone on different vendors websites at the same time, and sometimes at different prices).

So it is a mixed bag.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Virtual inventory. Many sellers have access to the same inventory and when they sell it, they also buy it from the vendor. So they sell it and get a profit from the sale. Occasionally you’ll hear of somebody buying a store to be told shortly after that it isn’t available and that’s because another seller who had access to the inventory sold it first but it takes a short time for the systems to update on all vendors. Blue nile and James Allen both have the same stones listed on their websites too.

Just make sure whoever you buy from is reputable and cross check to see if anyone has it for sale cheaper.

Last edited:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, I didn't realise this happened in the coloured gemstone world! Thought it was only diamonds... :think:

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I mean, maybe I’m wrong but I just assumed if it happens with diamonds, it would happen with colored stones too. Probably not as frequent but likely

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Hrm... I asked Jeff if they were authorized to sell his stones, because he is the cutter (I have a garnet from him in the same cut). :think: no response yet.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
I have seen the same thing happening on Etsy.

Same CG with same cert. # is being listed on 3 different listings simultaneously. The vendors are using slightly different images for the same gem.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW, I didn't realise this happened in the coloured gemstone world! Thought it was only diamonds... :think:

It's fairly common, but there are risks with it for both the drop-seller and buyer. Personally I choose to not do it and not deal with anyone who does, especially when I got stung really badly by someone who I thought was a drop-seller but in reality was doing something far more dishonest (early in my rough buying days). Buyer-beware, I suppose.

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve noticed the same gems posted on Africa Gems and Pearlmans. If I’m not mistaken, some of that stock is actually at / from Gems2000 (sells to trade only). It’s weird but I just double check the prices and move on.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
They are allowed to buy and resell, but the stone is still in Jeff’s inventory and ownership. He does not want sellers to do this because people will recognize the cutting and ask Jeff about it.

Last edited:

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
In addition to the legitimate stone 'brokering' that goes on, there are also dishonest dealers on eBay that simply steal photos of other vendors' inventory.
I suppose that is why some vendors watermark their photos, or take them on very distinctive backgrounds.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve noticed the same gems posted on Africa Gems and Pearlmans. If I’m not mistaken, some of that stock is actually at / from Gems2000 (sells to trade only). It’s weird but I just double check the prices and move on.
Hope you don't mind me clarifying that Gem[without an s] 2000, based in Ohio, is the wholesaler; we can search their online inventory database
but a purchase has to be made through a retailer who, like Africa Gems and Pearlmans, has an account with Gem2000 (or who can get approved for an account with them).

Gems2000 is an Australian vendor who seems to list a lot of stones on gemrockauctions.com.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you don't mind me clarifying that Gem[without an s] 2000, based in Ohio, is the wholesaler; we can search their online inventory database
but a purchase has to be made through a retailer who, like Africa Gems and Pearlmans, has an account with Gem2000 (or who can get approved for an account with them).

Gems2000 is an Australian vendor who seems to list a lot of stones on gemrockauctions.com.

Oops. :doh: Yes, gem2000 is the wholesaler I’m referring to.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results