shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference between OEC and OMC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ms_claudia

Rough_Rock
I know this is a totally newbie question.... but that''''s exactly what I am, a newbie. It took me a while to figure out what OEC and OMC even stood for
. Will someone be kind enough to explain the difference? What do they look like compared to round brilliants and hearts and arrows? Informed diamond knowledge would be greatly appreciated

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Also, I did a search on "OEC" or "old mine" to learn. You''ll find a wealth of info there.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/2/2009 2:11:45 PM
Author: Addy
A couple of starting points, JBEG description and OWD description.
Both JBEG and OWD should correct their beginning dates of the Old-Mine Cut description...

Jewels by Erica Grace: "...Old Mine Cut

Old Mine Cuts (OMCs) were cut from the mid to late 1800''s up until the turn of the century. They have a soft roundish shape with a high crown, small table and a large culet. "

Old World Diamonds: "... Old mine cut diamonds date back to the 1830''s and were common up until the turn of the century. They are the earliest form of the modern brilliant cut. Old mine diamonds were faceted by hand in an almost round shape with a high crown, small table and open culet. Old mine diamonds were cut for candlelight which makes them sparkle in even dim light."

*We just witnessed the sale of one (if not the) of the earliest known "brilliant cut" Diamond called the "Wittelsbach Diamond"
This specimen has documentation as early as 1664.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=salesummary&intObjectID=5157741&sid=947215ba-1171-40fe-b752-7d139e2959dc

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem, that's interesting. I somehow missed that the Wittelsbach diamond was that old. How were most stones cut from the 1600s-early 1800s? I like JBEG and OWD descriptions because they are simple and easy to understand, but I'm sure they miss out quite a bit in keeping the descriptions that short.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/3/2009 7:43:51 AM
DiaGem, that''s interesting. I somehow missed that the Wittelsbach diamond was that old. How were most stones cut from the 1600s-early 1800s? I like JBEG and OWD descriptions because they are simple and easy to understand, but I''m sure they miss out quite a bit in keeping the descriptions that short.
Depending geographics....

In India they were mainly either cleaved (usually split to get rid of visible inclusions) or polished to hide inclusions..., polished in no specific arrangements with the focus of retaining max weight!

For example see the original sketch which Tavernier drew of the Tavernier blue (prior to becoming the French Blue and latter the Blue Hope Diamond).

FrenchBlue112cts.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/3/2009 12:24:37 PM
Author: DiaGem

DiaGem, that''s interesting. I somehow missed that the Wittelsbach diamond was that old. How were most stones cut from the 1600s-early 1800s? I like JBEG and OWD descriptions because they are simple and easy to understand, but I''m sure they miss out quite a bit in keeping the descriptions that short.

In India they were mainly either cleaved (usually split to get rid of visible inclusions) or polished to hide inclusions..., polished in no specific arrangements with the focus of retaining max weight!

For example see the original sketch which Tavernier drew of the Tavernier blue (prior to becoming the French Blue and latter the Blue Hope Diamond).
Or the Koh-i-noor: The way it was documented by Tavernier prior to being re-cut by the English Queen...

Figures_from_the_Koh-i-Noor_from_Tavernier.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/3/2009 12:27:19 PM

Or the Koh-i-noor: The way it was documented by Tavernier prior to being re-cut by the English Queen...
The Koh-I-Noor after the recutting:

koh-i-noordiamond3.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/3/2009 12:28:59 PM

Date: 1/3/2009 12:27:19 PM

The Koh-I-Noor after the recutting:
The Europeans were known for cutting Diamonds for beauty and not so much for weight retention! Thats where the brilliant fashion came into play as early as 1650''s (eg- The Wittlesbach), note: the culet is in reality a flat facet!

wittelsbach4.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
More Indian fashion cuts as documented by Tavernier:

The Great Mogul, The great Table, etc...

greatmoguldiamond.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fair enough..., but I still think if they write info. for education..., at least get the "simple and easy" date info. correct.
11.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Dia Gem, I love the explanations!! Diamond (and gemstone) history is fascinating. What are the dates on Tavinier's pictures, and any date on the Koor-i-Noor recut?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/3/2009 12:37:19 PM
Author: Upgradable
Dia Gem, I love the explanations!! Diamond (and gemstone) history is fascinating. What are the dates on Tavinier''s pictures, and any date on the Koor-i-Noor recut?
Taverniers sketches are based on the witnessing of Diamonds in India around 1640+/-...
The Koh-I-Noor was recut in 1852...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results