shape
carat
color
clarity

difference between H and H(a) in ruby treatment

pajero_exceed

Rough_Rock
Hi, I searched on the website and got to know the normal process of heating, while I noticed that there are few certificates which states H for burmese rubies, can I ask the difference between H and H(a)? cheers a lot.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
This is from GRS
http://www.gemresearch.ch/treatment.htm

GRS Comment Description
H Enhanced by heat (no residues present)
E or H(a) Enhanced by heat, residues insignificant (indication of very small residues within fissures only) (more information)
E or H(b) Enhanced by heat, minor residues are present (within fissures only) (more information)
H(c) Transitional grade between H(b) and H(d) (more information)
H(d) Enhanced by heat, significant residues present (within fissures and cavities) (more information)
H(d) (GRS type "Hybrid Ruby") Enhanced by heat, significant and deep reaching residues present within fissures and cavities filled with lead glas (also known as Composite Ruby) (more information)
H(Be) Enhanced by heat and light elements (such as Beryllium) (more information)

pajero_exceed

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't make my question clear, what i was asking is the difference between the heating process, can I see H means a traditional heating while H(a) involves some chemical reaction.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pajero_exceed|1422018808|3820835 said:
Thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't make my question clear, what i was asking is the difference between the heating process, can I see H means a traditional heating while H(a) involves some chemical reaction.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for. He answered your questions: one is plain heat (nothing added) and the other is heating with chemical(s) added.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1422022886|3820845 said:
pajero_exceed|1422018808|3820835 said:

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for. He answered your questions: one is plain heat (nothing added) and the other is heating with chemical(s) added.

H means "no residues present" - so a ruby could be heated with chemical added but no fissures so no residues present.....

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If heated in borax even if there is no filling of fissures I believe it will come up as an H(a) as the traces of borax will be seen in spectroscopy .
Borax doesnt effect the colour of the stone just fills fractures not like beryllium chemical treatment

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
treasurehunter|1422079407|3821278 said:
If heated in borax even if there is no filling of fissures I believe it will come up as an H(a) as the traces of borax will be seen in spectroscopy .
Borax doesnt effect the colour of the stone just fills fractures not like beryllium chemical treatment

Good point treasure hunter. I was about to inquire about H(a), not to mention H(a) means less than 0.001ct traces found according to the GRS. Why would you fill with something in 0.001ct which probably will not be obvious anyway.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
treasurehunter|1422079407|3821278 said:

http://www.ssef.ch/uploads/media/2001_Haenni_Beobachtungen_an_hitzebehandeltem_Rubin_mit_kuenstlicher_Rissheilung.pdf

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/foreign-affairs.htm

They clean the stones after heating with fluoric acid. I have never heart that they find borax after that.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
this is interesting, in ajsgems.com they claim "no reputable gem dealer will sell fracture filled ruby". I would think that they consider themselves as reputable dealer. :think:
but some of their rubies, this one is an example comes up H(a) in GRS report,
http://www.ajsgem.com/ruby/burma-ruby/burma-ruby-2.02-carats.html-2

Is this considered a glass filled ruby? I do not like to think so, but I could be wrong.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
A glass filled ruby - not in my opinion!

It would be interesting to see a microscope picture of the inclusion in this extremely clean ruby - if GRS use H(a) there must be a tiny amount of residues.

Again, you need fissures, cracks to fill them with with "glass" or "heal" them with synthetic ruby. If they heat a rough ruby with borax, remove the residues with fluoric acid and cut after that a loupeclean ruby the ruby is in my opinion heated only.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
I see, if it is not cut properly after heating and some borax find its way to a tiny fissure and unable to be thoroughly cleaned will fluoric acid, then that's when some tiny residual left is reported as H(a). :clap:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
O.K.

But Borax is a flux - a water soluble very soft mineral! It is not borax in the fissures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results