shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you tell your friends when you bought the diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
BF bought the diamond about a month ago and we have been looking at settings ever since. When the diamond arrived both he and I shared the happy news with our closest friends. However, my friends shared the news with their friends and now tons of people know about the diamond and mistakenly think we''re engaged. I''m mildly bothered by this only because I feel a little foolish for getting everone all worked up and the engagement is not "official". I''ve had a few people pass on their congratulations and I don''t feel that its time for that yet. Its also making me more impatient to get the ring because I don''t want to look like a buffoon by not having the ring on my finger. I know its not the ring that makes an engagement, but still, it doesn''t feel official. Plus, our families know about our marriage plans but not about the diamond. I don''t like that everyone knows except for the families.

What is my point? Um, I guess its that I sorta wish I kept the whole thing to myself until the proposal. It just seems like its getting too drawn out at this point. Fortunately, we are going to make a decision on the setting this weekend and I hope the proposal won''t be far behind. Did this happen to anyone else?

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t buy the stone lose and set it seperately. We bought a pre-made ring.

We didn''t tell friends or family when we started looking for rings. We figured that telling them it more or less gave them permission to constantly ask us if we had the ring yet. Many of our friends are mall jewellery people and don''t understand taking your time to pick the ring and we didn''t want to be harassed for months.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Haha yes, but it''s only his Mother that is obessed, nobody even asks about it and we bought the stone back in aaah July

Everytime his mother calls, or he calls her, "it''s did you get/give her the ring yet?" Even though he''s told her don''t worry you''ll be the first to know!
It''s very annoy, especially when, last night our dog was almost lying in his death bed and she has to ask such a ridiculous question! Makes me mad
38.gif

Lesson learned: Next time, not going to tell her anythign in advance, especially anything about babies, if/when we ever decided to have children we''re not telling her anything about it lol

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
I was so excited during the diamond buying process that I told two of my girlfriends. They were visiting from out of town, so I don''t get to see them very often. We''ve had the diamond (which has since been set) for a little over a month. I''m hoping that I won''t have to wait much longer! I know my BF has told a few of his guy friends, and his sister also knows and has seen the completed ring. Neither of our parents know about it, I want it to be a surprise to someone! I guess we''ve lucked out because my friends haven''t told anyone, and even if they have, they live so far away I haven''t heard about it. My boyfriends guy friends could care less. I am surprised that his sister has been able to keep the secret, not that she has a hard time keeping secrets, just that she was so excited about the whole thing I think it''s hard for her to keep quiet and not share her excitement with her/his mom. Sorry you feel like you sharing your secret has put some added pressure on your situation. Hopefully you''ll be able to find a setting you like soon, and it will all be official. Any idea how long you will have to wait?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 10:35:33 AM
Author: lehcarm
I was so excited during the diamond buying process that I told two of my girlfriends.
Same here
4.gif
It was one of those "WHEN are you two getting engaged??" moments, so I just said "well...."
2.gif

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
We have the stone, and I''m going to have a custom setting, but I have only told 3 people...and none of them that I see often. That way, I get to talk about it sometimes without being asked every single day! I would go crazy...plus I want to surprise somebody. My mother doesn''t even know...but I think my bf told his mother so that means now I MUST tell mine....I try to treat the Mom''s the same, ya know?

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 3:33:22 PM
Author: dianne
We have the stone, and I''m going to have a custom setting, but I have only told 3 people...and none of them that I see often. That way, I get to talk about it sometimes without being asked every single day! I would go crazy...plus I want to surprise somebody. My mother doesn''t even know...but I think my bf told his mother so that means now I MUST tell mine....I try to treat the Mom''s the same, ya know?

That''s too bad you feel like you have to tell your mother, but I understand that she would probably feel bad if after the fact she finds out that your future mother in law knew before she did.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I told a couple of important people, but for the most part I didn''t really tell anyone. I told my mom since she was getting concerned about us living together without being married...it gave her some peace of mind.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I made the mistake of telling everyone AND showing them pics, lol! I was just so excited. When he actually proposed, several people we like, "Oh, I thought you guys were already engaged!"

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't say a word!!!

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
we bought the stone and picked the setting at the same time, but the setting had to be made, so yes I told my best friends and parents about the purchase, they were respectful of the nature of the info so only the people I wanted to know, knew

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2007 1:42:48 PM
Author: ImpatientOne
I made the mistake of telling everyone AND showing them pics, lol! I was just so excited. When he actually proposed, several people we like, ''Oh, I thought you guys were already engaged!''

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn''t say a word!!!

HAHA! This is exactly me! If I could do it again, I would only tell my sister. Oh well, in the big picture its only a blip. But an irksome one...
38.gif

We talked about settings and have finalized the selection. He keeps saying "soon, soon". AHHH!
40.gif

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
i dunno i wouldnt tell even my close friends if he already bought the stone (id tell you guys but not them wierd huh) i think thats becasue if i were to tell them thats when itll hit them that ill be getting married which means that i wont be around and that theyre kinda losing me...plus they wont understand any of it casue im the wedding crazed one and theyre the type that just wanna enjoy the single life so they would think im crazy...plus i would want to have my ring as a whole be a big surprize to them!!!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 3:47:24 AM
Author: goldenstar

Date: 2/24/2007 1:42:48 PM
Author: ImpatientOne
I made the mistake of telling everyone AND showing them pics, lol! I was just so excited. When he actually proposed, several people we like, ''Oh, I thought you guys were already engaged!''

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn''t say a word!!!

HAHA! This is exactly me! If I could do it again, I would only tell my sister. Oh well, in the big picture its only a blip. But an irksome one...
38.gif

We talked about settings and have finalized the selection. He keeps saying ''soon, soon''. AHHH!
40.gif
I also blabbed/sent pictures when we starting going ring shopping. Now everyone is expecting it to happen any day (that is if they didn''t expect it to have already happened) so it won''t be much of a surprise.
5.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was completely obsessed with finding the perfect ring, so i definitely ran my mouth about it for way too long to my family/friends/coworkers. i feel like now that i''m about to get it for real people will be like "finally!"

but i really could not decide on what shape diamond i wanted and then what setting i wanted, so even if my boyfriend wanted to buy me the ring to shut me up about it, he couldn''t!
28.gif

i''m with impatientone: if i could do it over, i would definitely keep it to myself!

broadway

Rough_Rock
"mall jewelry people" CRACKED me up!

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
When we bought the stone, I didn't want to tell anyone, and didn't. Shortly thereafter, we had a dinner with friends and he blurts out "Guess what we bought today?" I was slightly mortified, I had assumed that he'd keep it a secret like I thought it should be (but hadn't discussed). So then that meant that our closest friends new we were ring shopping, which made me think it was ok to tell 2 close long distance girlfriends what was up.
36.gif

I wish it had all been a secret from all friends. Even though it wasn't, I didn't have many snoopy friends continuing to ask status...just one annoying one! And I didn't at all consider myself engaged until he asked and put the ring on my finger, even though I knew when the ring was complete (a difference of 2 months). All in all, if the cat's out the of the bag already, enjoy the anticipation! Don't let others expectations change what's to come!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results