shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you know?

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Another list. I can't acount for the veracity of thesse items...but I thought they were interesting:

It is long but has interesting facts.

If you are right handed, you will tend to chew your food on the right side of your mouth. If you are left handed, you will tend to chew your food on the left side of your mouth.

To make half a kilo of honey, bees must collect nectar from over 2 million individual flowers

Heroin is the brand name of morphine once marketed by 'Bayer'.

Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult!

People in nudist colonies play volleyball more than any other sport.

Albert Einstein was offered the presidency of Israel in 1952, but he declined.

Astronauts can't belch - there is no gravity to separate liquid from gas in their stomachs.

Ancient Roman, Chinese and German societies often used urine as mouthwash.

The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. In the Renaissance era, it was fashion to shave them off!

Because of the speed at which Earth moves around the Sun, it is impossible for a solar eclipse to last more than 7 minutes and 58 seconds.

Google is actually the common name for a number with a million zeros.

It takes glass one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of times!

Gold is the only metal that doesn't rust, even if it's buried in the ground for thousands of years.

Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached at only one end.

If you stop getting thirsty, you need to drink more water. When a human body is dehydrated, its thirst mechanism shuts off.

Zero is the only number that cannot be represented by Roman numerals

Kites were used in the American Civil War to deliver letters and newspapers.

The song, Auld Lang Syne, is sung at the stroke of midnight in almost every English-speaking country in the world to bring in the new year.

Drinking water after eating reduces the acid in your mouth by 61 percent.

Peanut oil is used for cooking in submarines because it doesn't smoke unless it's heated above 450°F.

The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.

Nine out of every 10 living things live in the ocean.

The banana cannot reproduce itself. It can be propagated only by the hand of man.

Airports at higher altitudes require a longer airstrip due to lower air density. Like Denver.

The University of Alaska spans four time zones.

The tooth is the only part of the human body that cannot heal itself.

In ancient Greece, tossing an apple to a girl was a traditional proposal of marriage. Catching it meant she accepted.

Warner Communications paid $28 million for the copyright to the song Happy Birthday.

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

A comet's tail always points away from the sun.

The Swine Flu vaccine in 1976 caused more death and illness than the disease it was intended to prevent.

Caffeine increases the power of aspirin and other painkillers, that is why it is found in some medicines.

The military salute is a motion that evolved from medieval times, when knights in armor raised their visors to reveal their identity.

If you get into the bottom of a well or a tall chimney and look up, you can see stars, even in the middle of the day.

When a person dies, hearing is the last sense to go. The first sense lost is sight.

In ancient times strangers shook hands to show that they were unarmed.

Strawberries are the only fruits whose seeds grow on the outside.

Avocados have the highest calories of any fruit at 167 calories per hundred grams.

The moon moves about two inches away from the Earth each year.

The Earth gets 100 tons heavier every day due to falling space dust.

Due to earth's gravity it is impossible for mountains to be higher than 15,000 meters.

Mickey Mouse is known as "Topolino" in Italy

Soldiers do not march in step when going across bridges because they could set up a vibration which could be sufficient to knock the bridge down.

Everything weighs one percent less at the equator

For every extra kilogram carried on a space flight, 530 kg of excess fuel are needed at lift-off

The letter J does not appear anywhere on the periodic table of the elements.

And last but not least:
In 2011, July has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays, and 5 Sundays. This apparently happens once every 823 years! This is called 'money bags'.

--

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I can't believe I just read through the whole list!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Some of those are a bit faulty. Bananas can cultivate themselves... otherwise wild apes/monkeys would not be eating them, they would not exist, and they wouldn't take over back yards in South Florida when one or two are planted. ;)) Down there they grow like weeds, and if you don't watch out you'll have a small forest.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting and entertaining.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Really fascinating Amber, thanks!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1310652138|2968725 said:
Another list. I can't acount for the veracity of thesse items...but I thought they were interesting:

If you are right handed, you will tend to chew your food on the right side of your mouth. If you are left handed, you will tend to chew your food on the left side of your mouth.

To make half a kilo of honey, bees must collect nectar from over 2 million individual flowers

Heroin is the brand name of morphine once marketed by 'Bayer'.

Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult!

Albert Einstein was offered the presidency of Israel in 1952, but he declined.

Astronauts can't belch - there is no gravity to separate liquid from gas in their stomachs.

Ancient Roman, Chinese and German societies often used urine as mouthwash. Depends on what you consider often. Urine was considered an aneseptic but not sure how regular the practice was.The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. In the Renaissance era, it was fashion to shave them off!

Because of the speed at which Earth moves around the Sun, it is impossible for a solar eclipse to last more than 7 minutes and 58 seconds.

Google is actually the common name for a number with a million zeros.

It takes glass one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of times! Nope.

Gold is the only metal that doesn't rust, even if it's buried in the ground for thousands of years.

Your tongue is the only skeletal muscle in your body that is attached at only one end.

If you stop getting thirsty, you need to drink more water. When a human body is dehydrated, its thirst mechanism shuts off. Maybe if you about to die from lack of thirst that may be true, but no. It should be rephrased, by the time you are thirty your body is already dehydrated.

Zero is the only number that cannot be represented by Roman numerals You mean the only whole, positive number? Kites were used in the American Civil War to deliver letters and newspapers.

The song, Auld Lang Syne, is sung at the stroke of midnight in almost every English-speaking country in the world to bring in the new year.

Drinking water after eating reduces the acid in your mouth by 61 percent.

Peanut oil is used for cooking in submarines because it doesn't smoke unless it's heated above 450°F.

The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.

Nine out of every 10 living things live in the ocean.

The banana cannot reproduce itself. It can be propagated only by the hand of man. True for the most commonly used cultivated species but not for original species

Airports at higher altitudes require a longer airstrip due to lower air density. Like Denver.

The tooth is the only part of the human body that cannot heal itself. first of all this isn't strictly true. The root of the tooth has some repair ability from injury, and soft spots on the tooth enamel can be made stronger for example for flouridation treatments. This statement is more true for example the tips of fingernails and hair, because they are "dead". In ancient Greece, tossing an apple to a girl was a traditional proposal of marriage. Catching it meant she accepted.

Warner Communications paid $28 million for the copyright to the song Happy Birthday.

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

A comet's tail always points away from the sun.

The Swine Flu vaccine in 1976 caused more death and illness than the disease it was intended to prevent.

Caffeine increases the power of aspirin and other painkillers, that is why it is found in some medicines.

The military salute is a motion that evolved from medieval times, when knights in armor raised their visors to reveal their identity.

If you get into the bottom of a well or a tall chimney and look up, you can see stars, even in the middle of the day. Not true http://astroprofspage.com/archives/726

When a person dies, hearing is the last sense to go. The first sense lost is sight. Hearing is probably tied with proprioceptive senses such as touch and pressure. Thats why they do things like press down hard on parts of the body to get a response when someone is comatose.In ancient times strangers shook hands to show that they were unarmed.

Strawberries are the only fruits whose seeds grow on the outside.

Avocados have the highest calories of any fruit at 167 calories per hundred grams.

The moon moves about two inches away from the Earth each year.

The Earth gets 100 tons heavier every day due to falling space dust.

Due to earth's gravity it is impossible for mountains to be higher than 15,000 meters.

Mickey Mouse is known as "Topolino" in Italy

Soldiers do not march in step when going across bridges because they could set up a vibration which could be sufficient to knock the bridge down.

Everything weighs one percent less at the equator

For every extra kilogram carried on a space flight, 530 kg of excess fuel are needed at lift-off

The letter J does not appear anywhere on the periodic table of the elements. True. I guess this makes sense as element naming conventions use Greek and Latin pre and suffixes and there is no j in the ancient Greek or latin alphabet.

And last but not least:
In 2011, July has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays, and 5 Sundays. This apparently happens once every 823 years! This is called 'money bags'.

--

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to be so nitpicky, but the seeing stars at the bottom of a well during the day "fact" annoyed me!

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
mayerling|1310652921|2968736 said:
I can't believe I just read through the whole list!
I agree...

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
The OP is correct on the statement that hearing is the last sense to go. I'm a palliative nurse, I work at a hospice.
It's one of the reasons we suggest not discussing funeral arrangements in the same room as the patient, even a non responsive patient.
However, not every dying person looses their sight.
It's quite amazing what patients see, hear. I must say, medical science can't explain everything...there are anomalies often.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock

(...)

And last but not least:

--

Don't let the person who sent you this list see a calendar for 2005, 1994, 1983, 1977, 1966, or 1955. ;))

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I thought a google was 1 followed by a 100 zeros.

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
rosetta|1310678369|2969081 said:
I thought a google was 1 followed by a 100 zeros.

Yeah 100 zeroes, and it's spelled "googol" not "google".

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

This one makes total sense to me. You're usually stretched out when playing volleyball, makes everyone's nude body look better as opposed to hunched over bocci or something.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
--

Don't think that is true unless there is another campus further west of Anchorage.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I'm laughing at the corrections. Ah, pricescope.

That was interesting Amber!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you FALL down a well or a chimney and hit your head you'll see stars. :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1310686079|2969200 said:

This one makes total sense to me. You're usually stretched out when playing volleyball, makes everyone's nude body look better as opposed to hunched over bocci or something.

Good point!

And it probably would be a bit much to play football or any other "close-contact" sport while nude...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Airports at higher altitudes require a longer airstrip due to lower air density. Like Denver."

From a pilot of 3 decades with experience in numerous types of airplanes:

Absolutely true.
Also, on a hot day one needs significantly more runway. In each case, its because of lower power output due to less fuel being burned, since O2 availability is the limiting factor for power.
Lowered air density (due to altitude and temp) also reduces the air density around the wings, reducing lift, as well as power.

For a propeller aircraft, or high-bypass turbofan jet, lowered air density also reduces thrust because of the reduced lift available to the propeller (fan) blades.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results