shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you have a wedding singer at your wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I was just curious if any of you hired a wedding singer and how that went for your reception. Was it a hit? Did people not enjoy the singer? Did the singer also DJ at all or only sing?

I ask because yesterday I saw a singer at this event I went to who impersonates my favorite singer of all time (Frank Sinatra) he looked much like Sinatra, sounded quite a bit like him and happens to do weddings. **super excited over it** I can''t help but think it would be pretty awesome when I get married one day. It would be completely my style. Not to mention I would play a lot of Sinatra, Dean Martin etc..anyway. But on the other hand, I''m not sure what guests would think of it.....my guess is that they would ''figure'' I would have something like that.
2.gif

Regardless, I would like to know how having a wedding singer went...thanks!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had an 8 piece band with I believe two or three singers. They were AMAZING.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I had a friend who is a professional opera singer during the ceremony, but I don''t think that counts ;-)

However, the same friend DID hire a wedding singer for her reception. He did Sinatra-type classics. It was very nice, but I hate to say this - my favorite part of the reception was when the band packed up and the MOH popped in a few CDs of mixed dance stuff. All of a sudden, all of the young people moved from the bar to the dance floor.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 4:02:45 PM
Author: Elmorton
I hate to say this - my favorite part of the reception was when the band packed up and the MOH popped in a few CDs of mixed dance stuff. All of a sudden, all of the young people moved from the bar to the dance floor.
See, that would be one of my concerns. I wonder if you couldn''t hire a DJ for a few hours and then a singer for the other half. There are certain songs I''d want to have played and not sung. That''s why I wonder if singers do DJ stuff as well. That would be nice. Hmmm...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Dreamgirl, my friend told me that she spent about 4k on the singer - it was the biggest splurge of the reception. While they were packing up, they her use the sound system until the reception officially ended - so they played from something like 6-9, and then we played mixed cds off their sound until 10:30ish or 11. It was a non-traditional reception (they had a destination wedding, reception at home) w/o a seated dinner, so they band played the whole time, with the exception of I think first dance (was on cd) and toasts.

The one thing is to make sure you have a room that can accommodate the sound of the instruments. In her case, there were 300+ people in a VERY large space, so the bodies/voices/movement absorb quite a bit of sound, and it was the right volume - people could still enjoy conversation if they wanted to, but could definitely play along.

OH! And if you or your FI are musically inclined, a band is a nice touch - my friend sang a duet with the singer and it was VERY cool. That was probably my favorite part of the whole reception.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Yes, we had a father/daughter duo. They did guessing games and impersonations; they were a HUGE hit, everyone loved them and we were told by many people that it was the best wedding they ever went to. My BFF hired them for their wedding next summer.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
You know, I''ve never been to a wedding that had a singer or live band for the reception. It''s always been a DJ or an ipod. I used a DJ. My parents had a band/singer at their wedding 28 years ago, though. Which begs the question...do you think wedding singers are less popular now than they were 20-30 years ago? Or are my friends just a very non-random sample?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 7:39:14 PM
Author: jstarfireb
You know, I've never been to a wedding that had a singer or live band for the reception. It's always been a DJ or an ipod. I used a DJ. My parents had a band/singer at their wedding 28 years ago, though. Which begs the question...do you think wedding singers are less popular now than they were 20-30 years ago? Or are my friends just a very non-random sample?
I think live bands and singers have become less popular for the same reason engraved invitations have become less popular--they are very expensive, and now other alternatives exist.

It also depends on the level of formality you'd like for your wedding. A DJ is great, but definitely less formal than a band. I think most weddings nowadays are hybrids of formal and informal elements, so you see a real blend of elements.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 1:36:51 PM
Author:Dreamgirl
I was just curious if any of you hired a wedding singer and how that went for your reception. Was it a hit? Did people not enjoy the singer? Did the singer also DJ at all or only sing?

I ask because yesterday I saw a singer at this event I went to who impersonates my favorite singer of all time (Frank Sinatra) he looked much like Sinatra, sounded quite a bit like him and happens to do weddings. **super excited over it** I can''t help but think it would be pretty awesome when I get married one day. It would be completely my style. Not to mention I would play a lot of Sinatra, Dean Martin etc..anyway. But on the other hand, I''m not sure what guests would think of it.....my guess is that they would ''figure'' I would have something like that.
2.gif

Regardless, I would like to know how having a wedding singer went...thanks!
I didn''t have a wedding singer, but I''m 99% sure I know who you''re talking about, and I LOVE THE SINATRA GUY. He sang at two wedding I''ve been to, and he was such a hit. (Okay, so I may have a teeeeny crush on him.) At both weddings, he sang during the cocktail hour and dinner, and then a DJ took over for dancing. One couple flew him up to Walla Walla ''cause he was so amazing! DH and I actually looked into booking him for our wedding, but he had already been booked for our date. When your wedding rolls around, I totally think you should hire him (and invite me, of course
2.gif
).

purelily

Shiny_Rock
My cousin is classically trained in Opera and will be (when he graduates) a professional opera singer. So, we are requesting he sing for us during our ceremony ;-)

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
We had a nine piece band at our wedding, and there the two band leaders are incredibly accomplished singers. So they didn''t have a specific era they sang from, but we did have live guys singing... and it was incredible. We''ve gotten so many compliments on how fun the wedding was and how awesome the band was. My disclaimer on that is that we are friends with the band leaders, so we had to pay the other 7 guys and the sound guy, but we saved probably a full 50-75% on what it would normally have cost someone to book them.

Wouldn''t have traded it for the world though... they really were *amazing*! But not kind on the budget, even when you get a great deal, so I understand why people choose not to have bands these days!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
At my cousin''s wedding they had a live band for dinner and then a DJ for the dance party once everyone got done with dinner. It was perfect. The band was great but wasn''t really dancing music.

If you go for the Sinatra guy I would just have him for dinner because otherwise people won''t dance. (At another wedding I went to there was a jazz trio for the entire reception and no one danced at all.)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 4:18:29 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

Date: 9/21/2009 4:02:45 PM
Author: Elmorton
I hate to say this - my favorite part of the reception was when the band packed up and the MOH popped in a few CDs of mixed dance stuff. All of a sudden, all of the young people moved from the bar to the dance floor.
See, that would be one of my concerns. I wonder if you couldn't hire a DJ for a few hours and then a singer for the other half. There are certain songs I'd want to have played and not sung. That's why I wonder if singers do DJ stuff as well. That would be nice. Hmmm...
Could you hire the singer for dinner, then have a DJ for after dinner? My DJ will be playing many Rat Pack classics while people are eating, but once the food is done the dance music will start.

ETA: Apparently Thing2 beat me to my post
3.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies! I emailed him yesterday just to find out about how much his rates are. He responded and told me that it varies based on how many people, equiptment, etc. but he did give me a range that I was very surprised by. I mean I was surprised!!! It was much less than I figured it would be ($600-$1500) so I will certainly keep him in mind when the time comes (not engaged yet!) I'm not sure of the rates of DJ's however so I don't know if this is more expensive than a DJ or not.

My Mom thinks its a bit pricy but she said it would be well worth it. FF and I were talking about it yesterday and he actually thinks the Sinatra singer would be (quoting here) "better than another crappy DJ" so they both think it's a great idea! My only concern would still be what about those songs that I don't want Sinatra to sing. I did get some good suggestions on that however so thank you!

elmorton- Yeah, after reading that your friend spent 4k on a singer my mouth opened up wide! I couldn't ever afford that. But thank you for sharing how that played out. What a great idea and how nice of the singer to allow her to play music after their performance was finished. I will certainly keep that in mind.

anchor31- Oh wow! I'm glad the guests enjoyed themselves. But may I ask (which happens to be another concern of mine) did they overshadow you at all? Meaning did you feel like they were taking attention away from you....the bride?

jstarfireb- That is a good question and Haven has some good points.

kittybean- I'll reply to you after this post
2.gif

purelily- What a great idea! I bet it will be beautiful.

KatyWI- My goodness a 9 piece band! Wow I'm sure that was amazing.

thing2- I like that idea. I'd love to be able to mix it up just incase people don't much dance to the songs Sinatra is singing and more so watching him maybe?

elrohwen- I love the idea of that! I wonder what the cost would be though with a singer part of the time and a DJ the rest of the time...

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 8:31:11 PM
Author: kittybean
I didn't have a wedding singer, but I'm 99% sure I know who you're talking about, and I LOVE THE SINATRA GUY. He sang at two wedding I've been to, and he was such a hit. (Okay, so I may have a teeeeny crush on him.) At both weddings, he sang during the cocktail hour and dinner, and then a DJ took over for dancing. One couple flew him up to Walla Walla 'cause he was so amazing! DH and I actually looked into booking him for our wedding, but he had already been booked for our date. When your wedding rolls around, I totally think you should hire him (and invite me, of course
2.gif
).
Ok back to you miss kittybean! I needed to respond to you in a new posting. YOU have a teeeeny crush on him? I can't help but have a crush on him! ha!
6.gif
He was at the Fesitval. I knew he would be there after looking at their schedule of events. My parents went the day before I went with FF and my mom told me there was no way I could miss him because I had to see this guy (being the Sinatra lover I am) so I made sure on Sunday that I was there to see his performance.

It was amazing! I requested he sing "Come Fly With Me" while he was taking a break and we got to talking. He told me he was engaged but wanted to let me know that he thought I was so cute and wondered what I looked like when I was mad **swooning at that point cause he looks like ol' blue eyes** I told him he would have to ask FF
31.gif
Then I told him I heard he did weddings and we just got to talking. He's a great guy! FF took a picture of me and him after the show. I know he performs around town. I will have to pop in every now and again (groupie maybe?) when he performs somewhere to stay on his radar and maybe he can give me a good deal some day. What do you think?
2.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 4:47:59 PM

Date: 9/21/2009 8:31:11 PM
Author: kittybean
I didn''t have a wedding singer, but I''m 99% sure I know who you''re talking about, and I LOVE THE SINATRA GUY. He sang at two wedding I''ve been to, and he was such a hit. (Okay, so I may have a teeeeny crush on him.) At both weddings, he sang during the cocktail hour and dinner, and then a DJ took over for dancing. One couple flew him up to Walla Walla ''cause he was so amazing! DH and I actually looked into booking him for our wedding, but he had already been booked for our date. When your wedding rolls around, I totally think you should hire him (and invite me, of course
2.gif
).
Ok back to you miss kittybean! I needed to respond to you in a new posting. YOU have a teeeeny crush on him? I can''t help but have a crush on him! ha!
6.gif
He was at the Fesitval. I knew he would be there after looking at their schedule of events. My parents went the day before I went with FF and my mom told me there was no way I could miss him because I had to see this guy (being the Sinatra lover I am) so I made sure on Sunday that I was there to see his performance.

It was amazing! I requested he sing ''Come Fly With Me'' while he was taking a break and we got to talking. He told me he was engaged but wanted to let me know that he thought I was so cute and wondered what I looked like when I was mad **swooning at that point cause he looks like ol'' blue eyes** I told him he would have to ask FF
31.gif
Then I told him I heard he did weddings and we just got to talking. He''s a great guy! FF took a picture of me and him after the show. I know he performs around town. I will have to pop in every now and again (groupie maybe?) when he performs somewhere to stay on his radar and maybe he can give me a good deal some day. What do you think?
2.gif
I definitely remember him singing "Come Fly with Me," and he was amazing. He is so dreamy and such an old-school charmer--good thing he''s engaged or S might have had to worry
2.gif
. I didn''t realize his rates were so reasonable! That is awesome. I might have to become a groupie, too
1.gif
. I''d love to see him perform again.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 4:37:27 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies! I emailed him yesterday just to find out about how much his rates are. He responded and told me that it varies based on how many people, equiptment, etc. but he did give me a range that I was very surprised by. I mean I was surprised!!! It was much less than I figured it would be ($600-$1500) so I will certainly keep him in mind when the time comes (not engaged yet!) I''m not sure of the rates of DJ''s however so I don''t know if this is more expensive than a DJ or not.

My Mom thinks its a bit pricy but she said it would be well worth it. FF and I were talking about it yesterday and he actually thinks the Sinatra singer would be (quoting here) ''better than another crappy DJ'' so they both think it''s a great idea! My only concern would still be what about those songs that I don''t want Sinatra to sing. I did get some good suggestions on that however so thank you!

elmorton- Yeah, after reading that your friend spent 4k on a singer my mouth opened up wide! I couldn''t ever afford that. But thank you for sharing how that played out. What a great idea and how nice of the singer to allow her to play music after their performance was finished. I will certainly keep that in mind.

anchor31- Oh wow! I''m glad the guests enjoyed themselves. But may I ask (which happens to be another concern of mine) did they overshadow you at all? Meaning did you feel like they were taking attention away from you....the bride?

jstarfireb- That is a good question and Haven has some good points.

kittybean- I''ll reply to you after this post
2.gif

purelily- What a great idea! I bet it will be beautiful.

KatyWI- My goodness a 9 piece band! Wow I''m sure that was amazing.

thing2- I like that idea. I''d love to be able to mix it up just incase people don''t much dance to the songs Sinatra is singing and more so watching him maybe?

elrohwen- I love the idea of that! I wonder what the cost would be though with a singer part of the time and a DJ the rest of the time...
The thought never even crossed my mind. I mean, as long as the guests are enjoying themselves, the rest doesn''t really matter... People still knew it was our day and not the entertainers''.

CaliCushion

Shiny_Rock
I live in L.A. and I''ve never heard of anyone having a Wedding Singer in real life (I did like the movie with Adam Sandler, though!).

Everyone I know here (and I''ve also been to weddings in Arizona, Chicago, NY, NJ and Philadelphia) has had either a full band with 2-3 singers or a DJ.

It''s amazing how different weddings can be in different places!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
We had a full band and was awsome
9.gif
, I did had the first dance from the original cd, I did not want the band to mess up with that song
11.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I had a guy who sang and played the piano.

We came across him at a party in a club in London and thought he was amazing - turned out he was a student at one of the Music Schools here. I contacted the venue and got his details. He sang everything from society jazz, Sinatra, Elvis etc right through to the latest contemporary music and also offered to learn any songs we particularly wanted.

I was after music that would be good to dance to, but would also be suitable for people to sit around and chat to each other without being deafened! I''d noticed at friends'' weddings that they would hire a band or a DJ and then the dance floor would be empty as none of us are that into dancing anymore. Most of my guests would be mid-30s and upwards so I wasn''t bothered about catering for people who wanted to do their thing on the dance floor!

He was fantastic, I had loads of nice comments and two of my friends have since borrowed him for their weddings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results