shape
carat
color
clarity

Did the oven coil melt?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
DH went to cook our V-day dinner yesterday and turned on the broiler. He said the top coil in the oven started sparking and looked like it(the metal coil thing) was actually melting and it was flaming in that one spot. We have an electric range... is it possible that it really did melt itself? I looked online but can''t find anything about this. I''m going to tell the apartment office tomorrow but I don''t want to look like an idiot if this isn''t really possible. I originally thought maybe food was stuck to it and was burning off but I have no clue how any food could become stuck to the roof of the oven... and we scraped at the melted spot a bit and it seems like metal, not food.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
If the coil IS fried, it''s a fairly cheap and easy fix. Just unscrew it and take it to the hardware store. They sell replacement ones for like, $20.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Apartment managers are used to odd questions; I''d just ask them about it. A maintenance person can check it out for you. I''m glad the sparking didn''t harm anyone.

And that''s sweet that your hubby cooked a Valentine''s meal for you!
9.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 6:05:15 PM
Author: LostSapphire
If the coil IS fried, it''s a fairly cheap and easy fix. Just unscrew it and take it to the hardware store. They sell replacement ones for like, $20.
I''m glad it wouldn''t be a big fix for them to change it out... I am kinda sad too though because I''d LOVE a new range hehe.

Fisher- It was definitely sweet of him. He actually had to go to his parents (about 20 mins away) to do the cooking since our oven pooped out. They didn''t mind much though because he left them some goodies!

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
They can definitely burn out, similar to a light bulb, really. We had the same thing happen to our oven. The landlord had a Mr. Fix-it type come, and he just had to replace the coil (I would have done it myself if it it wasn''t so easy to have the landlord take care of it).

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Well they came today and said the coil was blown... which I guess means that it did, indeed, melt itself. lol They''re ordering a new one... I''m just glad they said I can still use the oven in the mean time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results