shape
carat
color
clarity

Did it take awhile to get used to your e-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I figured the people on this forum would be the best to ask since most of us are recently engaged. Did it take you awhile to get used to how it feels to wear your engagement ring? I can't decide if mine is too tight or if the interior corner of the band is to sharp or what, but my engagement ring is sort of irritating my finger at the base. It feels a little tingly even after I have the ring off. Granted, I pull it on and off about 50 times a day trying to decide if it needs to be a little bigger, so I'm probably rubbing my skin a lot underneath it. Right now, I feel like it is probably the perfect fit. Goes on easily, comes off with just a little resistance and doesn't spin around too much on my finger. The problem is that it is winter and pretty cold, but come summer, I don't want it to be too tight. Should I just wait until summer to decide? Also, in the evening and sometimes in the morning, my finger feels much more swollen and the ring is tighter. Also, it sometimes leave a bit of a dent on my finger at these times.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on my situation. I just want the ring to be perfect, you know?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely went through all of that.

I NEVER wore any jewelry (particularly rings!) until I got my e-ring. It drove me crazy at first. I would notice it all the time! I felt like it''d rub on me wrong, and that I''d never be able to wear it.

I''ve had it 7 months now, and I don''t notice it at all. Sometimes I flip out because I think its missing!!

I think if its loose but not slipping off when cold, and slightly tight when warm, it''s a good fit. That''s exactly how mine is.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
For sure. I''ve had it since August and I look at it all the time still and I compulsively touch it with my other fingers to check that it''s there.

It''s not too big. It was, and the diamond would point down. It''s still a little loose, but not worrysome loose.

At first I could feel it there, but now, I wouldn''t know it was there unless I touch it.

Congratulations by the way!

cushionladyESQ

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You''re not alone, monkeyprincess! I got engaged in August, and I didn''t get to wear my ring for a few months because I was out of the country (U.S.), and now that I''m back I am still getting used to the feeling of the ring. I have always liked jewelry, but never wore rings regularly before.

I feel like I take my ring off a lot during the day to cook, wash dishes, etc and so I am still getting used to the ''normal'' feeling of having the ring on.

I agree with you about the feeling of size though. Since it''s winter the ring is just a tiny bit looser but not bad and when I got it in August it wasn''t too tight either...maybe if you are still worried you can wait and see how it feels in the summer before making any changes? It might feel ok, sizing wise, in the summer too. I thought I would have a more noticeable difference since my hands tend to swell a lot, but it has been ok.

I hope the wedding planning is going well!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
20.gif
Yes! I got mine sized up a bit b/c my fingers swell in the summer and I hate tight rings! I take it off for cleaning, dishes, and sleeping...sometimes I forget to put it on in the morning, but usually I remember
3.gif

DHs ring is a 1/4 ize too big and it can''t be sized so we got some liquid ring guard and it works like a charm.

I''d get your ring sized up and then use the liquid ring guard in the winter if it''s a lttle too big on some days.

My ring has a pipcut shank and it was KILLING me in the summer when my fingers would swell.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
My ring was too big when I first got engaged (it fit, but it was very loose) but it felt like it was where it belonged.

It was really kind of strange - before I got engaged I would often feel like something was missing from my left hand (even though I never wore rings on that hand before we got engaged) but it was like I had a constant sense that something was missing from my ring finger. So when DH and I got engaged, when the ring was put on my finger the weight of it felt great! It felt like I had put a missing puzzle piece into the puzzle.

In the summer my rings can get tight sometimes and that feeling can be pretty irritating, so if that''s how it feels all the time for you then I would definitely get it re-sized!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. Glad I''m not the only one who experienced this. I think I''ll go into the jeweler and have him check the fit on me and see what he recommends. Most of the time it feels just fine, but I want room to "grow." I think mine is what would be called "pipe cut" as well, and I think it is the corner edge that is irritating me a bit.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
MP, I think you have the right idea to wait until Summer and see how it fits. You can always go up a 1/4 size as opposed to 1/2.

I received my ring last April and the SA assumed that I would swell a lot in the Summer and just determined on her own that my ring size was a 5.75. I didn''t think so, but I figured she knew what she was talking about. I wore it the entire Summer and I could count on my hand how many times it was tight, but it was always loose. I traveled a couple times last year and in the aiport, my ring felt like it was going to fall off. However, I was still scared to get it sized down because I worried that it might be too tight. So I waited it out and sized mine down in October to 5.5. It''s the best decision I made. Where I live it was still warm them and I had no issues. Plus even now at times it still feels like it could slide off (at this smaller size). I''ve just accepted the fact that I''m one of those people who''s ring will be fitted when it''s hot and loose when it''s cold.

Another thing I did last Summer, was I went to different jewelry stores to get my finger sized and most felt I was a 5.5.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
It feels strange that it's there (and I worry that I'll damage it), but not at all uncomfortable. I think it does sound like you might need to go up a half size or so. I used to have a ring that fit very snugly and I experienced exactly the same problems you're describing. It's partly personal preference - I like my rings a little looser than my actual "size".

I'd go to your jeweller and ask to try on rings in a slightly larger size (make sure the band is of similar thickness, as that affects the fit), and see what feels comfortable. Shake your hand around a bit to make sure it doesn't fall off, slide it on and off, until you get the size you feel is right. Such a small adjustment is usually a quick and simple thing to do so don't worry!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Did you get your ring then, Lilykat? You''ll have to post pics!

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 8:24:32 PM
Author: monkeyprincess
Did you get your ring then, Lilykat? You''ll have to post pics!

Yes, it came first thing Monday morning and I got it Monday evening! It''s gorgeous. I need to steal FI''s digital camera to take pics, which will be done asap
12.gif

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been engaged since November 1st and I still have moments where I think I''ve lost it because I''m so much more use to it then I was the first month or so. I would say mine has been the perfect size from the beginning though which I think contributes to me getting use to it so fast.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 11:59:35 AM
Author: Lilac
My ring was too big when I first got engaged (it fit, but it was very loose) but it felt like it was where it belonged.

It was really kind of strange - before I got engaged I would often feel like something was missing from my left hand (even though I never wore rings on that hand before we got engaged) but it was like I had a constant sense that something was missing from my ring finger. So when DH and I got engaged, when the ring was put on my finger the weight of it felt great! It felt like I had put a missing puzzle piece into the puzzle.

In the summer my rings can get tight sometimes and that feeling can be pretty irritating, so if that''s how it feels all the time for you then I would definitely get it re-sized!
Me too!! Before I got engaged, I would kinda hold my had like I had a ring there. I thought I might be a weirdo, but..I''m glad I''m not alone. I would wear my school ring on that finger sometimes, when it got in the way on my right hand. However, now that I have my engagement ring, it doesn''t feel weird at all. It felt just right.

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
i think it took me a few weeks to get used to my engagement ring, mostly because of the weight of the ring, i was always used to wearing white gold and since my engagement ring is platinum it would slide A LOT but over time i got used to it plus getting it sized down a bit helped too
1.gif

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
If my ring is a half eternity, platinum band, will it be an extensive process to size it up 1/4 - 1/2 size? I mean is there any way they can stretch it ever so slightly without having to add platinum? It is a custom ring and sits flush with the wedding band that it came with, so I will have to have that sized up too. I just think I''ll be happier having it a little roomier.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
If half the band is plain metal, then a good jeweler should be able to adjust it 1/4 to 1/2 size without too much trouble. More than that might start getting tricky, but one of the main reasons to go with a half rather than a full eternity is precisely so that the ring''s size can be adjusted a little bit if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results